www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hyper-MSD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Another, cheaper route that works well which many people have used is microswitching and tank steering. For some reason its easier to tank steer microswitching then mix it (probably due to the slightly different contact time throwing you off!).

I actually have a diagram around my PC somewhere that I drew up for micro switching with mixing with out the need for a RC mixer. It uses 4 or 6 micros depending of your mixing requirement.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:44 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

cool! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:52 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well the set up i have now is a micro switich set up useing the mecanical speed controlers but with no resister on it.

the problem is with the mixer in my controler it is joining both servos and loseing abit of the steering ability at full noise this then means i cant do the fine tuning in a forward charge.

thanks for the address ive seen them and had a look round the shop before for two channel speedo but it was 120 -130 odd buck and i only had 90 on hand.

thank you for your input as i know hunting around for somethng for someone can be time consuming (usually is with me Rolling Eyes )

btw i kinda like doing stuff the hard way and learning as it stops me for haveing situation when stuff stops working and i sit back going why.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:07 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
btw i kinda like doing stuff the hard way and learning as it stops me for haveing situation when stuff stops working and i sit back going why.

There is a difference between building your own house and building the twin towers in your back yard Razz Honestly, save yourself the heart ache of blowing up $300+ of components you've just spent months assembling and use something that you will work straight out the box.

I find you learn more about things as you break them, not while your making them Razz

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:33 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

*looks in bank account mutters a few words as the ibc crosses hi mind and consult with the powers that be weather i should get one*

brett will be laughing were all folding to the ibc,
it's going to be the microsoft of the aussie bot world
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:02 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
brett will be laughing were all folding to the ibc,
it's going to be the microsoft of the aussie bot world

The only thing is, Brett and Jason are not making thousands of dollars from the IBC like Microsoft does from Windows Razz

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:58 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, theres a bit of a profit difference between a product that actually costs money to make each copy of (like Cars or IBC's or something physical) vs a product that costs about 3cents for each additional copy of (after the R&D has been paid for).

One of the interesting things about speed controllers is the way everyone seems to think "It cant be that hard, I bet I can do it cheaper" when they first see what they cost (I know I did too), but not 1 in 1000 manages to successfully manage to make their own.

Like I said, if you're in it for the learning, go for it. If you actually want a bot running sometime this year, and think you're going to save time/money by making your own, guess again.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

what i meant by the coment wa that the aussi robot scean is going to be powered pretty much by ibc and theres going to be little room for anything else as nothing out there comes close at being the same price( not that ive seen im probly wrong).

plz for the love of god don't start an argument bout the ibc in my build report i was beaten to a pulp in the last one and i don't want to go thought it again Very Happy
i think i agreed with you after seeing one in action.
the one problem is that when i break it *yes i probly will by not thinking one day* it going to take for ages to get it here.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:16 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Dont worry, I'm not going to start an argument.

The repair issue is one of the reasons the IBC is "open-source" (all diagrams and tech info available). Find any reasonably competetent local electronics tech and you can give him access to all the info he needs to repair or rebuild an IBC - even at an event if necessary.

This makes it useable in a lot of situations where people wouldnt be comfortable using a "black box" that has to be shipped all the way to the back corner of the planet (Australia) to be repaired if it was all a "corporate secret" design.

A lot of the IBC's that are blown up in America are repaired locally over there by Mike Philips for just that reason, which pleases both us and the end user, since (unlike car manufacturers), we dont try and make a lot of money out of spares and repairs.

If you're worried about repair turn-around time, I suggest heading down to your local electronics college/TAFE/Uni with the circuit diagram and PCB layouts, and asking one of the lecturers if they or someone they know would be able to help you with it if you have trouble..

Worst case, even a half-decent small local TV Repair shop should be able to cope with it. They might need to order some of the harder-to-get bits like the HIP chips or Microprocessors from Jason, or else a big company like RS or Digikey.

To my mind, buying a piece of electronics that is intended for severe-service (like a robot controller) without a circuit digram is like buying a car with welded-on wheel nuts that only the factory can change for you. You have to buy multiples of them to have spares on hand or risk being knocked out at a comp.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well i might be looking into one in the near future then when i get the money and really need it for fine tuning.

just a small question could you beable to fit something like a oneway "valve" so if i do plug it backward i don't kill it. (i dons't know if it has it i haven't read the stats on it in a while) and a 30A fuse?

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:17 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

We are running an IBC on Arena sweeper; it has 12volt high current motors.
To protect the IBC we included a thermal circuit breaker that re sets when it cools down.
Easy done but almost no one will use them in a combat bot.
Better to burn everything out than pop the circuit breaker and get clobbered as a sitting duck or counted out.
To avoid reverse polarity I recommend fitting insulated block connectors to all your batteries, chargers and robots so they are idiot proof.
In the heat of battle and thrashing in the pits it is all too easy to connect something back to front.

Big diode? Confused

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:17 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

i was reading up on LED and how some of them only allow only one way currant ie put on in an ibc and it dosn't work backwards.
anyone know of a similar device as an led is wasting enegy just being on?

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:48 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The diodes out of car alternators are good for about 30amps I believe, maybe a diode out of a really big alternator Confused

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:49 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i thought the IBC already had some thing like that on it... the component just failed when it was plugged in backwards and you could replace that. thats the impression i was under anyway.

and as gary stated, polarised connectors are the way to go..

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:58 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

There is a diode on the IBC that saves the expensive parts, but the electrolytic cap stills goes bang and leaves a mess on the board sometimes which can cause problems in it's on right Razz

Buy the T-connectors from your local Autobahn, Jaycar or Aussie Auto. Gary and Brett have used them for yonks with great sucess!

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:02 pm