Experienced Roboteer

its the d part of LED
diode
it only allows current to flow in one direction
problem is thy will typically drop about 0.6V across them
so at say 100A thats 100*0.6=60W
you diode is going to be putting out as much heat as a 60W lightbulb
not a good thing.

the diode in the ibc is in "shunt mode", ie if you hook it up in reverse it basically makes a short circuit, on your average PCB with good enough batteries the "fuse" then blows, ie the little bit of copper under the board.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

You could use a couple of car alternator diodes with a fan and heat sink, Problem is this takes up space, waists battery power and adds weight.
Not a good idea and that’s why the IBC doesn’t come that way.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:46 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, its kind of like trying to put a one-way valve on a fire-hydrant.

The amount of current flowing is way in excess of what any normal diode could handle. There is no simple solution that I know of.

The next-best thing I would say is to put a thermal-reset circuit breaker (available from Repco/Bursons) in series with the main power lines, but splice it in with a male/female T-Connector, so you can plug it in when you're testing and working on the bot, and take it out when you are competing (and dont want momentary overheat-shutdowns to leave you sitting still).

If anyone else can find a way to stop high reverse current at a reasonable size/weight/cost, myself and every other ESC manufacturer in the world would love to hear from you. Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

silly me Rolling Eyes ofcouse light emmiting DIODE duh.Embarassed ah well you know you somethimes have those days your brain dosn't work straight. (i seem to have em for bout a week)
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:43 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

what would i have to do to change the name of my robot in the forum? i got sick of the old name and since the plans have change som much (again) i thought a new name was in order?

would this envolve large copy and past jobs or just a simple topic name change
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

if my memory serves me correctly go back to the first page and post in the thread then edit it, you can edit the title from there.

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah change your first post's title Smile
i've done it plenty of times before lol Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:24 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

it's all coming together Twisted Evil, after seeing this enginering guy my granddad knew i managed to find someone to finish the weapon drive and attach the disk to the shaft. i might be able to get it back tomorrow or even before christmas Very Happy . may even get piccys up

Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:11 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well seeing how he didn't ring back before christmas its gonna have to take longer hmmm mayby i should actually plan somthing Confused i kind had the thought of using a 12v rechargable cell to couple with the 12 v sla/nicads (thinking bout swapping the drive motors are they aren't causing major problems like the fan motor) would i be right in thinking that buy flicking on a switch to boost the power of the weapon temporaraly from 12v to 24v,

A unless it was capable of handleing that current draw it would fry
B i could fry the controlers (later electronic when i get the mulla) on turning it off/running out of power.

Would i need to have matching m/amp cells to the rest of the pack or would it be sweet?

Post Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:53 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well not being in the major rush to get Hyper done in time for robot wars ive been kinda slack but have got the weapon assembaly back from the enginering place and sized it all up by eye and frowned as it was at the wrong angle, nothing a large hammer can't fix Very Happy.
another problem ive also been having is the speed controlers keep arcing out,smokeing lots and catching fire(rather cool looking but probly not too good for em) and i cant figure out whats causing it.

one thought is ive stressed it passed it limit.......yes that one will do
Very Happy
Will stick pic up when ive got it set up and spinning

Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:25 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

after much lazyness and doing other things i finaly picked my robot up off the floor and put the weapon motor and weapon mount in to the robot and learnt a couple of things,

1 welding little tube on to big tube a massive pain in the arse with much swearing as bits blew thought (its been a while since i picked up a welder)

2 when cutting with an angle grinder cover your boots with a cloth are the little metal bits can burn a hole in the leather.
will have some pics when photobucket stops being stupid and actually lets me upload pictures.(at the moment all it is doing is hanging)

a couple of question before i go is it possable to use the chassie of the bot as the returning charge to the batteries or will i be looking out arching out

secondly can i use the chassie of the bot to act as a resistor or will the same proble above happen? [/b]

Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:06 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

It is generally a bad idea to have your power system connected in any way to the robots chassis.

It causes Radio problems, potential short circuits from motors to the case, allows electrical noise to get into the controllers easier and is subject to chassis damage interrupting your power.

For the sake of 1 or 2 extra wires, you will avoid a lot of possible trouble.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:15 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

i wouldnt have thought radio noise would affect mecanical controlers.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:34 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Radio noise affects servos... which affects mechanical controllers...

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:36 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well after going over a couple of things on hyper i found out why the speed controlers just died on one side, it was the heat from the controler had melted the solder of one of the wires and come off.

also if i can get the to a lathe i might beable to machine up and fit the disk properly to its new mount

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:40 pm