www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

The Unconventional minibots
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

The Unconventional minibots

Hello all,

I shall be building two small robots from spare parts i have lying around the shop and in the spare parts bins that will compete with glen, wayde and other nsw men in the beetleweight class limit that we are having down here.

The first robot is a vertical saw blade spinner/kinetic disk spinner (will see about kinetic after weight check). WIll use two motors/gearbox/wheels from a 30 dollar rc toy i hacked up ages back,

battery will be a 650 mah race car pack from dick smth for 20 bucks (9.6 volts).

The speed of the motors/gerbox's is the fastest around i have seen in the area and the weopon if its anything from beta max setup (im using same thing basically) then it should be able to flip/cut and throw another robot well i hope. Only problem is bearing for weopon. I was told Jeff J had some small bearings he pillaged from something so will see next chance i go over there.

basically think saw blade version of orbit/VDD

Second one i will build very soon is a minature orbit.

WIll use two cybot drive systems and a 6 volt drill cell pack.

weopon motor will be a 6 volt 9000 rpm rs550 lookalike from jaycar.

All my small bots will be driven from switch drive and maybe servo guts speed controllers for cybot drive if it is proven to work on beta max but only if its proven.

hope i can get them done and to work and semi descent as beta max and waydes spinners sound nasty.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:45 pm 
andrew

hella all.

have changed the designs for both.

one will be a horizontal bar spinner sorta like one fierce weed wacker/miso

the other will be a twin vertical saw blade of doom

i started construction on this fun horizontal bar spinner beetlewieght today and the best part was it was pretty simple besides motor mounting. i ended up just hose clamping them in but it works so meh.

got battery, reciever and reciever batt mount done and base plate cut.

there is a problem in reciever aerial coming off and when i went to resolder it on it failed and solder got where it shuldnt but its nothing sever and hopefully i can fix the problem.

problem so far is weght though as weight for this thing will be very harsh and i will need to cut,holesaw, change some things maybe so it fits in weight limit.

all is simple and very fun so far
hopefully tomorrow i can get the weopon sorted, reciever fixed and working and maybe be able to take it for a test drive/weopon spin up.

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:03 pm 
andrew

well today went well to a point.

i was able to get the top and the weopon parts made and mounted and stuff.

it looks really cool and the weopon looks awesome.

i was only able to see it at full power once though and it was incredible.

There are many problems though in that the motor was billowing smoke before but still works. WHen i fire the motor up the pulley jumps off the motor shaft because of the tension of the belt or something and/or the motor pulley and weopon puley were not alligned.

I think i may have it sorted now and will test tomorrow morning before i go to build meetat jeffs but will find out then anyway's.

anyway. piccies time. http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=9

Post Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:57 pm 
andrew

Well today i spent all day starting my beetleweight shell spinner.

I forst got the wok from go lo for 4 dollars (WOOT) and grinded things that held handle on until it fell off.

Then i copied glens idea and drilled and used drill case screws to hold frame toghether.

Mounted motor and tinkered with bearing setup (bearing blocks need to be remade) and stuff.

How it will work is that the bettery/reciever and reciever battery will be mounted inside the lexan rectangle box which holds shell to frame and if theres any more room ill try and fit in there servo's to poke out and have switches glued to outside of lexan. wheels and drive motors will be mounted behind it and weopon servo/switch will be mounted wherever else there is.

some pics.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b310/welchypoo/?action=view&current=DSC01237.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b310/welchypoo/?action=view&current=DSC01236.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b310/welchypoo/?action=view&current=DSC01235.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b310/welchypoo/?action=view&current=DSC01234.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b310/welchypoo/?action=view&current=DSC01233.jpg

As it stands now its heavyish but thats becausde base plate is huge as i didnt know how much space i needed to mount everything to, base can be cut down ALOT as well as height of box parts as if u notice the domes off ground because i added nuts and bolts in parts of dome attachment to bearing setup.

also will drill holes in shell if need be but hoping i wont have to Smile.

Teeth shall be welded on at my school as its steel and i can do it pretty good Smile

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:35 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Lookin good Andrew! Thumb up mate!

If you guys are interested, how about a few beetle battles during the Tornado Tag Team event in september, I'm interested in building one to battle you guys! Razz

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:48 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

No problem! I'm game! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Beta max would be glad to render his verdict on all Cool

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Excellent. Now where did my spare LiPol Pack go Confused

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:29 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

So, are these US 3Lb Beetleweights, or something else? I am keen to try out something small and I'm not sure if it's better to go ant/beetle or a hobbyweight. I'm also posting in the Annhilator topic about an arena.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:38 pm 
andrew

These r us rules beetlesweights (1.3kg i believe)

Mine isnt looking so good now, constant problems with the belt drive setup and pulleys ripping themselves off weopon motor shaft etc.

If theres many more problems il simply build a misi ripoff as that wopuld be easier and would work very well and be nasty i believe.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:31 pm 
andrew

well this things pissing me off somewhat so its due for drastic changes or improvements to weopon setup.

During start the belt system has been a problem with pulleys flyingoff shaft as elasticcness of belt and tension it provides rips it off and i though "could fix it with some epoxy to shaft" which wouold work i believe

Then theres problems with the belt falling off and its fixable to a paoint but when i was able to spin it up a few times i am worried to do anything as something will fall off whether its belt or whatever and when it was spun up and i hit it hard so it shook a little (like in a match) something fell off and all dat.

SO i though STUFF IT, tomorrow il be getting more 2 dollar epoxy from warehouse (thats good stuff by the way) and ill have a look at and maybe get turntable belts from dick smith electronics as there nice and phat and i can holesaw ali or lexan circles to make a pulley or form of pulley to atatch belt to and epoxy everything to shaft all dat.

Only problem i forsee is that the belts will be far too long as setup now has quite a short belt setup.

Anyway's thats what i have planned which should improve eveyrthing alot and more reliable so will see what happens tomorrow and if i choose to try it.

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:35 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Andrew I have an neat little Sony / Maxon motor about 2/3 the size of a 550 motor. It has a really nice ali pulley designed for those square section belts. Its about 10mm diameter and has an grub screw retainer - yours if you want it!

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:13 am 
andrew

That sounds just abuot perfect as it sounds like same or similar motor and nice pulley which by the sounds of it fits the turntable style belts ill be looking at today.

Thanks heaps for that bud ill get it off u on sat or sun when we have build day at yours.

If i cant find belts short enough to easily make a the full body spinner idea work ill simple make me a bar spinner as its simple and i could do most of it in about 2 or 3 days

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:00 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds good. Its a really well built little motor made by Sony "under license" from Maxon - its several steps better than a chinese drill motor Smile

If you can't find a short turntable belt, try looking around for VCR repair kits; they use similar belts and are usually quite small. One of the kit suppliers like DSE or Jaycar used to have a VCR service kit with a selection of belts. I might have some old belts in equipment at work, I will rummage around at lunchtime.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:09 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Sounds good. Its a really well built little motor made by Sony "under license" from Maxon - its several steps better than a chinese drill motor Smile

Though its probably still "made in china" lol.

hey andrew, just a little note, i'm ordering those micro servos today, they're $9.95 ea, plus i think $4 postage each. I'll see what the final postage price is (might be lower seeing as i'm getting 6! Shocked Smile
Just pay me back next time i see you, or i could send them off to you when i get them, Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:51 pm