www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

The Unconventional minibots
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
andrew

i got today a packet of random belts etc from DSE.

Theres a heap of crapy elastic band equivalent ones but three or 4 thas like 6-10mm (phat) but only one Phat belt which is usable for my design unfortunatly so hoping no broken belts or im screwed.

Theres one of two longer phat belts whih could be used for other designs like undercutter or something

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:22 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I had a closer look t that Maxon motor - definitely NOT chinese junk, this top quality Jap stuff. The complete motor & pulley weighs 150g and the motor body is 30mm diameter by 48mm long. The pulley adds another 13.5mm to the length. It absolutely rocks on 12v; tons of torque!

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:05 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Aww, lucky andrew... Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:15 pm 
andrew

WOOOT

Ill be runing it at 9.6 volt 750 ma btt pack i got from DSE ages back

I think i will have to redo some of the setup to nake it all fit etc and work but its a nassive improvement over old setup, its just more work but worth it

Can u get any more of these super awesome motors from anywhere nick?

I also found today a place that sells nice large (and cheap) steinless steel cooking bowls which r exactly like blendo/megabite in looks and such

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:50 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's the only one of those motors I could get. There is another old bit of gear that Is sure to have some good small motors in it and its just lying about waiting for me to "retire" it. I will try to get it tomorrow but no promises... The Maxon has a really neat mounting bracket on it, so don't go changing stuff until you see it

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:22 pm 
andrew

Well today was quite lovely indeed as far as orbit and beetles went

I dont wanna update orbit part as well so ill do both here

For orbit there were some nice 3mm supports for weopon arms welded in place and bar straighened so its looking pretty funky now

Gotta modify top pieces and get small matters dealt with like fixing drill controller (one side reverse dont work, prob dead micro switch) and other small things like getting battery box fans working again and maybe get rc switch module and bec setup in and sorted)

Shell spiner beetle is gonna be completely rebuilt as i got a very abrupt wake up call as i weighed some of the parts and the shell alone weighs around 400 ish grams (youch) plus the setup now wont be needed as i wish to rebuild it with eveyrthing new and lighter frame setup and all round better

Got two new motors today, ones a lovely motor with pulley that should spin my shell up nicely and all dat and belt drive on it shall be reliable as anything

Also got smaller one thats not as fast but same type but has alot more torque so ill review both closer and see what will work better

Gonna rebuilt it all much more compact and lightweight (mostly 3m ali drilled to hell and not much of it or method like kang where everything bolted to the top plate or hose clamped up and that theres little else but a phat top plate and some way to mount drive motors)

But it will not be ready for next event with Orbit stil needing work and trials and school hassles and what not so ill start the rebuuild sometime after all dat or when i have a spare day but ill find a way to use that wok even if i gotta drill it out heaps or cut its height down a bit (hmm, sleeker shell)

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:06 pm 
andrew

gosh dang its been a long time since i posted in here

Well as far as the smaller area of unconventional robotics goes i shall be building a mini orbit soonish

got all parts required, speed cotroller, battery pack, weopon motor, drives, relay, reciever etc, all i need is timing belts and pulleys which i shall be throwing onto nicks order very soon as well as bronze bushings, shaft stock and some garolite for beetle base or orbits new top pieces

will mess with makng it once stuff arrives but throwing up having wheells at back so it can self right or having it like currnet orbit with drives at front etcwhich im used to and relying on torque of motor to spin blade and self right or something or have a self righting hoop or whatever

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:23 am