www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Malice of Forethought - Carnage Crew - Qld
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

When do you think your bot will be mobile, Nick?

Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:45 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

MoF should be running 1st week of April - depends on the water-cut shop and a welders shop visit...

Thanks for the info on 8g/12g wire - I'll have a look at that, I'm adamant that I wont be using 'Deans wet-noodle'... isn't it the cause of those melt downs that have occurred here ?

I'll ask the boss on Tuesday (22 march) about some 29meg base loaded antennas. Finding a place to mount the antenna (that is at least 1inch away from any wire, battery, motor or other electrical component - or metal objects) will be interesting in MoF...

I can almost hear the humm of MoF's spinner in action...

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:35 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cheers about the 29mhz radio,

dont think ive heard of any wet noodle wire meltdowns, IIRC george with pinscher is the only one that uses it. not to say that the good old jaycar 12 and 8g isnt good Smile

cant wait to see yours working

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Never heard of any melt down probls with Wet noodle, and would think being silicon would handle the heat better anyway.

Biggest reason I use it is because it bends into really tight spaces without putting stress on your connectors.

I think people have more problems with their connectors more than the wire actually.

Under impact the wire would flex and absorb some impact rather than a stiff cable thats always appying tension on your connectors.

But I cant fault it apart that it can get cut easier as its softer so if u look after it it will look after you.

Feels really cool anyway

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:05 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Those base loaded antennas are apparantely for any frequency (according to the boss)... I assumed they were 36meg because he keeps them with the plane/heli radio gear - which in his shop usually means 36meg. It doesn't sound quite right though that the antennas are for any frequency... I thought the 'deans' brand has different antennas for different frequencies.
Anyone else know what the go is with them ?

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:15 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Mabe the base load coil has capacative adjustmet on it some where ?

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

in general you can use any frequency with any other.. it just works worse and worse the bigger the difference in frequency.

the deans brand has a set frequency but i would guess the same as andrew, that they are adjustable, which would be a damn fine feature

Post Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Finally.
4 months, to the day...
$250 later...
My 4kg steel disk is cad balanced, precision water-cut and at long last, actually in my hands.

"Death is comming to the House of Carnage" ... [sung to the tune of 'Summer Holiday']

Post Mon May 16, 2005 9:52 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Cool Now to get the disk hardened.
I've heard of a chemical called "hardox". Apparantely, you heat up your metal until it's glowing then you drop the metal into this chemical. You do this again, then on the 3rd heating of the metal, you drop it in water.

I've heard of a metal called 'hardox' as well but this stuff is some kind of liquid chemical...
Problem is to heat a 40cm round, 3 spoked metal 'wheel' properly. How is it done?

The other thing bugging me is the current design is NOT invertable.
Not happy....

?? unless I do away with the wedge part ? hmmm...

Post Mon May 16, 2005 10:01 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by original_carnage:
Problem is to heat a 40cm round, 3 spoked metal 'wheel' properly. How is it done?

If you can get away with it without being growled at by your lady, then your Kitchen oven can get things pretty hot given time.

I'm not sure about glowing-red hot though.. perhaps directly over the burners in your BBQ ?

Post Mon May 16, 2005 10:30 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

iff you can get the hard faceing powder bring it down one weekend along with a suply of coal or a coupe of bags of bbq heat beads and we can fire up the forge .. i wil have t0 measure yhe dia though its made from a 14 inch car rim ..

Post Mon May 16, 2005 11:03 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I haven't heard of Hardox liquid, but the process can only be case hardening - try case+hardening+steel in Google for more info than you ever needed on the subject Smile The good part of case hardening is that the inner steel stays soft so you wn't have shattering problems like I had with tool steel teeth. On the down side, the hardening effect is really thin; several sources quote .03", which would be fine for wear protection on machine parts but will probably get wiped off the leading edge of your weapon after a few hits.

It can't hurt to case harden, but I would start looking at getting the weapon teeth hardfaced by a professional welder. With a hardfacing rod, you would get millimeters of tough steel rather than tenths of a millimeter with case hardening.

Post Mon May 16, 2005 11:17 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Yes i guesed he meant hard caseing powder i havent heard of a liquid either we used it a few times on harvestor parts that we couldnt use the hard faceing rods on will have to be carefull that the whole lot doesnt buckle though Shocked

Post Mon May 16, 2005 11:26 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

The first I heard of the liquid was just on Saturday last week. This bloke who comes into the shop is right into "teathered" car racing (yup, a race car on a wire, going around in circles at extreme speed) ..... whatever.

The thing with his hobby is you make it yourself, and just buy the hobby engine. He was showing me his latest car (a rolling work of art) and mentioned how he hardened his gears...

At the time I thought I could get the disk hardened cheaply (by me at home) instead of going to another business to get it done.

I'd origionally been quoted $100 to $150 'tops' to cut the disk. Much less hobby budget to work with now Confused

AND
The disk is 500g to 1Kg heavier than planned, to gear for the extra weight requires another belt&pulley, axle and mounting equip, etc for the pulley, etc...
Which means the gas bottle wedge can't happen (nearly 2.5Kg overweight)

Hmmm...

Post Tue May 17, 2005 3:25 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

iirc last time i was going to treat my own steel at home my 250 degree over wasnte enough, but its enough to heat treat my aluminium.

let us know how it goes

Post Tue May 17, 2005 6:33 pm