www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Nike Goddess Of Victory- Team Tortured Souls
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Waddy the phoenix

Nike Goddess Of Victory- Team Tortured Souls

Well i finnaly got off my ass and made the thrad HAPPY NOW Razz

ass most would know off the old forum Nike was going to be a Light Weight drum bot using 4 ev's since then i have woken up to my self and instead its going to be a Feather Weight using 2 drills and a nice fancy mag short for the weopon. for the past few weeks i have been thinking about armor the closest i came was a wheel barrow tyre however it would be about 100-300mm short i then thought about a Mini- car tyre for the job thinking about weight it might require some grinding and shaping which would give me places to put in the electroluminesant wire Razz (it was either that or neons but i dont think they would hold up to the shock). my other idea for haveing a propellor clock style speedomitor on the drum is failing manly because once its at speed it would be lucky if the led's dont go flying so i thought about one mounted to the top pannel (more on that later). im also planing to do something that hasnt been done yet here and use CF for the top and bottom armor (more like a protective sheet to save from debri)

ok so far i have 10 bearings that will be used for the weopon shaft however they are a mm too small because they dident have any the exact size. the next step for that is to get the shaft lathed down a mm to fit the bearings. currently the drum is very thick ali (14mm) but its got a small diameter so not much in the way of getting the most outta the mag there so it will be time to look for a bigger drum (will look at truck exausts and other such things)

the batterys are the ones comeing from the group batery order and its going to be 12v on 2x 9.6 drill motors (probabaly kk2's) and 24v for the mag. wheels im not sure about yet will probably look at some more of jakes wheels to still let it be invertable.

will have to look for some mild steel teeth to do testing and to use as a template

the end caps so far i would like to use UHWIPE (or however the hell ist spelt) wit a locking mechanism so that the bolts go through the teeth the drum and into nuts that are free sliding in the end caps so when the bolts are tightened it brings the nuts up flush with the drum but is still locked into the end caps.

may look at jake again to make me up some of those spiffy belt and pully systems for the mag-drum setup

Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:21 am 
Waddy the phoenix

well the magmotor will have to go on the back burner for a week or 2

Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

started making nikes 3 batteries today, the 24v pack is a monster and takes like 19 pieces of braid (ive only started them achhh itll take forever). its staggered with 2 cells then 3 cells and that repeats about 4 times. very strong and fairly long.

i should start a buisiness Laughing

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

thats why I said that just counting the cost of the cells in a NiCd pack isnt valid. After making 12 packs, you get to appreciate the amount of work it takes to turn cells into a useable battery.. Shocked

I reckon there might be an opening for a local manufacturer of packs if you like doing it (hah).. The only problem is that everyone thinks its easy and would rather do it themself (for the first few packs anyway), so sales might be a bit slow to start with..

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=585

all done, the weapon pack that is. its a 24v one with a 3 across staggered conifiguration. its actually quite small.

all double shrink wrapped and with 10mm thick foam on either side. i was also holding the entire 1.5kg pack up by each piece of braid and a pair of pliers so ill give you my word they wont break Wink feel free to kick me in the balls if they do lol.

i shoved them in kang and give it a run at 24v = scary. huge sparking and sweet performance and the packs where flat no less, only like 22v or something, youll like them Wink

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:54 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

glen i hope you wear a box to any event with that promise ;-P

also a word to people charging a pack like this first time you will want to do a few nice gentle (10-14 hour) charges on them first up and dont run them down too low at first. The charge state of the cells is probbly fairly wildy variable when you get them so you will want to even that out nice and gently

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Waddy the phoenix

ok so a nice slow charge for the first couple of runs should i discharge them first slowly or just charge them??

looks great glen cant wait to try and figure out where im gonna put them with out the urge to use em in TSNG.Revised (yes i know i realy should stop makeing my bot upgrades adding an extra name but it will be a major over haul on it but that comes later

also glen where did you get your kk2's cause i went to super cheap and they dident have any in the blacktown store :S

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:50 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I reckon charge them up first.
If there are very different charge states in the cells you could end up reversing some if you discharge too far, especially with a 24v pack.

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah i made sure all the cells in there where the same voltage, 1.10 to be exact.

i got my kk2s from supercheap but i heard they are extinct now.... (thats what ive heard at least.)

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:04 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

damnit :S ok well i guess its time to look for cheap 9.6v drills

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:55 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

try k-mart

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:24 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

K-mart has a craptastic website dident get any info off em will have to go to k-mart to find out :S makes it hard on a budgit this week of 70$ (had to get damnable glasses for work while engraveing

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:31 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

finished your 2x 12v packs, now get them out of my side before you die!! Razz

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=590

Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:02 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

LOL sweet

Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:49 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

ok step one on dusting off this build thread is to get some one to change the team name Smile once apon a time in a nursary rhyme it was TTS now its just TS (funnly enough i had made a name of myself in making hugely complicated names and im asking for it to be de-complicated *sigh* shows that times are changeing Smile)

righty now the nitty gritty bit of looking at my previous ideas and clarifying what is still in, whats looking to be upgraded, downgrades, stuff to be removed and other stuff that i would like to add depending

In's
[list=]Drum
Belts and Pully's
Bearings + Weopon Shaft
[/list]

Upgrades
[list=]Radio (from FM to spectrum)
IBC to either victors or some other option
endcaps (from UHMW to Ali or Mild Steel depending)
[/list]

Downgrades
[list=]Magmotor down to an EV (and if that goes bang then to a beefy fan motor)
CF down to a composite armor using lost of Fiberglass
[/list]

To be removed
[list=]
the electroluminecent wire (its not needed and its just excess weight)
the Speedo (that just complicates things and who cares how fast its going when it hits if i want to do something like that than i will look at having it displayed on my transmitter)
mini tire (it was a rather stupid idea for a feather any way was just taken aback by tread)
[/list]

Stuff to be added if possible
[list=] full steel suport structure
scoop instead of wedge
self righting mechanism if invertability isnt acheivable
[/list]

so there we are everything as i would like it and back to reality though the electoluminecent wire woulda looked the bomb

alrighty now time for a peek at what i got so far (at my outdated cad will redo it when i got time Smile)

Top view

Front left

Front

Cheers

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 am