www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Arena Standards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i was under the impression the rule was "all projectiles must be tethered", an axe isn't a projectile (on purpose)

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fish_in_a_Barrel

Pages 16 to 18 say that there should either be a tether or high walls.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:15 pm 
leo-rcc

imho the FRA jumped the gun a little by banning featherweight spinners in heavyweight arenas. Event though the spinner power has gone up in recent years, I believe that there is no were near enough KE in a feather spinner to launch it 3-4 meters in the air, going through a roof, and reaching the spectators unless you are launching them with a heavyweight (and even then I doubt it).

As for Axe tethers, it is a easy enough safety measure to incorperate, and like a power led or failsafe led open for debate as to its use but I dont think it is worth discussing. Just do it and get it over with.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:21 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Banning featherweight spinners in heavyweight arenas? What about the heavyweight spinners? Laughing
Heh and I don't know about a heavyweight launching a feather,,, i've seen that video! Shocked
Also, couldn't you argue that the ram/shaft is the teather? If that failed, most certainly any sort of logical tether would fail too...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:35 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Assuming you want to compete at an FRA event that is.

I think the FRA is too beaureacratic in their operations and regulations, and prefer the RFL method as they seem to be an organisation with more of a "we wont tell you how to suck eggs" approach.

Not that I'm opposed to strengthening the arena roof, but tethers on axe-heads ?

Whats next, telling you how to insulate terminals correctly and how thick your battery retaining bits of metal have to be ? (BattleBots did this).

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leo-rcc

It might sound funny, but in effect this is what happened. Arena's that are capable of stopping out of control 100kg robots (or are at least supposed to be) are not allowed to have featherweight (UK feathers so 12kg ) spinner robots in it. Heavyweight spinners do not even remotely have a chance of running in any arena at the moment.

Effectively this is a ban on all spinners in the UK excepts ants.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:44 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-2487553,00.html

Needs a tether on his cricket ball
Smile

http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=58905&CFID=22474097&CFTOKEN=48529273
Maybe a DNA sample just in case to. Confused

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/22/cctv_powers/
At least someone should have good video of some of there events

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/06/26/ndata26.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/06/26/ixuknews.html

Now eat your Vegies. Mad

The way things are in Pomieland these days I am not surprised.
Sad

Last edited by Rotwang on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:30 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

thats some messed up stuff there.

give it 2 months and it'll be here.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, its a bit like that. V for Vendetta anyone ? Wink

Ah well, people who want the government to protect them from everything cant complain when they start protecting them from themselves..

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by leo-rcc:
As for Axe tethers, it is a easy enough safety measure to incorperate, and like a power led or failsafe led open for debate as to its use but I dont think it is worth discussing. Just do it and get it over with.

My robot doesn't contain the power to send its weapons to the roof. The only time the axe heads will be heading in the general direction of the roof is when the weapon is started up and that is the time when the weapon is moving its slowest and therefore has its lest amount of energy. Any axe heads that do break off while the axe is swinging will either not have the energy to make it to the roof or won't be heading in that direction anyway.
Any other robot that rips the axe from the robot will rip any tether from the robot too. It'll be no more dangerous then ripping armor and wheels off, unless we are tethering them as well.
My one piece blade shown above is practically tethered to the robot via the axial. For it to break free it'll need to take quite a large part of the robot with it.

All up it is a rule that doesn't make sense to me and just seems to over complicate things.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:35 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

What I don't get is how an organizing body such as that of the FRA has the right to stop people from running events the way they want. Isn't it the EO/arena owner that is responsible for anything that goes wrong and therefor it is up to them what can or cannot be run in their arena?
It all sounds like a joke to me.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

*Most* organisations are run by people more interested in promoting their own power, position and proceedures above the interests of the members.

Its why I'm opposed to most forms of formal organisation.. Its rare to see one that doesnt get screwed up by some twit who probably isnt even active in the area they're trying to regulate.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:51 pm 
maddox

Can I quote you on the FRA forum Spockie Tech?

Problem is, the FRA top is a bunch of roboteers with money to burn.
At least they know the dangers involved, but it is strange that most "new" rules in the book are lowering the effectiviness of CO2 users and increases the power/weight ratio on Hydraulics.

With the chairman using hydraulics that cost an arm and leg.

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:59 am 
leo-rcc

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
All up it is a rule that doesn't make sense to me and just seems to over complicate things.

Like I said, I dont think its worth discussing. I personally feel it is a stupid rule anyway, but if they want it that way, that is fine with me. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:34 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

First you’re CO2 then Axes and all Spinners, dose seem t be a pattern there.

Going to be a dull comp.
Sad

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:06 am