www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Li Pol batteries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lmao just ripped the battery out of my laptop then.... 4000mah 10.5v lipoly from Master instruments Smile mmmm gives me an idea Very Happy

Post Wed May 18, 2005 7:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

My Laptop has a 14.8v 4400mah Li Ion pack wedge in it Smile Still can't drag more then 2 1/4 hours out of it with the 3ghz processor Confused

Post Thu May 19, 2005 7:52 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Was doing a quick net trawl over Wired.com and found this little article!

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,68631,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

It talks about a company that has produced Saphion cells, which are slightly lower powered then the LiPol/LiIon cells per/kg but are still better then NiMH. They have enough shot one with a gun to show how safe they are. Some companies that have taken interests in them include Segway, which use them in there Segway XT (http://www.segway.com/segway/model_xt.html) Wouldn't mind a set of those Segway DC Servo Motors Razz

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:53 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm they just keep getting better and better!
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/03/bendy_batteries.php
"eh eh eh, my flexible friend" Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:51 am 
Andrew W

I found these batteries from Batterymaster.

These are replacement laptop battery/power supplies. They are available in 14-18V and 18-21V, and they can put out a maximum of 8A continuous (112-144W and 144-168W).
I rang up and asked them about the capacity of them and was told they it was around 6A. They only weigh 720gm and have an inbuilt charger and low battery buzzer. They are 200mm X 112mm X 22mm.
They had a price on there website of around $200, although the price seems to have been removed Sad

http://www.batterymaster.com.au/products.php/command/viewcategory/categoryserial/21181

Regards

Andrew

Post Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:55 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

This supplier in Queensland has some pretty good Lipo Batteries at reasonable prices if anyone is looking to experiement with these powerful explosive little beasts..

http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_list.asp?cid=10

I've bought a couple from them and they do very well.. 12-18C discharge rates (up to 36 amps !)

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm yeah i found that site a while ago and stuck it in a linkl page... wherever it went...! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:27 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

while reading the slimbatteries i thought this was pehaps a little worring
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STill have to be careful of the electrolytes in these as they are likely to be very nasty. THe temptation to cut with a scissors could be deadly. For safety sake, applications will have to be carefully thought out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i mean i know there flat,small and light but who the hell takes scissors to batterys ive haven't had the mad urge to hack open the lead acids or cut a cell of a nicad open (commen sence prevaled thank god).

still he might have been onto something something that bends and twists out of its orignal shape is put under stress,that stress causes wear,and a wear point that leaks thought might be dangerous to the user more so that the enviroment but still dangerous. also what about the types of forces that it is put under such as dropping it onto hard ground (ie in mobile phones, high end rc cars or even robot combat) the g force may be enough after a couple of years to split it along the bend line and even less in more ruggerd conditions.

Im being a bit cynical but i always hate the fact that something small and fragile that is bending will tend to fail in unforseen curcumstances.

sorry bout the rant and i'll probly be corrected(yelled at) for it
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:58 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I often drop my mobile and sometimes run ot over with a tractor. The lithium battery hasn't misbehaved.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:57 am 
Archer

how did it survive a tractor most of mine have died just dropping then the only one that can handle a good drop is the old savvy lol

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:52 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I have run over most of my phones. I also dropped one in the dam. It was only submerged for a second or so. It lived for another six months.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

dont cut an SLA open... they stink BAD. really really bad..

andrews nicads at the last event had some pretty bad dents through a few of the cells, which no doubt couldnt be good for their health and im sure the electrolyte in them isnt good. actually pretty well any battery acid wouldnt be good to get on you.. most of its 7 mol strenght or more usually.

as for lipolys they seem to be pretty dangerous but the mobile phone kind seem fairly safe. the mythbusters couldn't blow one up and they are in a fairly thick plastic case.

i think its safe to say just dont get battery acid on you anyway lol, in particular warning DO NOT use the 2.3ah slas from jaycar or supercheap as they will leak.. the last time i used them in cobra was when i had some oozing acid go into a cut in my finger which was most unpleasant.

in regards to lipols could you use them in a beetleweight? as far as current output goes theyd be enough to power my cybot drives around

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
in regards to lipols could you use them in a beetleweight?

Dude, LiPo cells were made for Beetleweights! The 10 and 12C packs are getting cheaper every day and unless you are making a beetleweight "Totally Offensive with a huge Bruchless motor you can get away with a 1.5AH pack or less. My 1.8AH pack in Slash doesn't even get warm with the AXI 2808 motor...

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

argh massive brain fart, meant to say mobile phone lipoly Smile

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:22 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I'm intersted in getting a pack but then its the charger im lacking... Sad
Arn't all the normal one's only trickle and only REALLY pricy chargers like the supernova can fast charge them? Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:11 pm