www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Maestro~Rotwang~vic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Maestro~Rotwang~vic

A long time ago (in Australian combat robot time that is) I started a feather weight clone of the Master,
It never got past the POP stage and most of it has been environmentally responsibly re cycled into other robots by now.
I had decided that it would have been a bit fragile and fiddley at 12kg but I was a bit disappointed that it was never finished. Sad

Then along comes the lightweight no spinner class.

After carefully checking with Brett??? Very Happy Yes Overhead Thwacks are allowed so the Maestro is Go.

It’s actually under construction but work, bills, and other commitments will severely limit robot building time for the next month or so.

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:19 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Getting very close to the first test drive; hope it works. Smile

Made up the battery pack this morning, just have to charge it gently and cycle it a few times to run it in, the wiring just needs a couple more connections, Rob took a few shots with my new camera so he might get around to posting them soon.

Post Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:24 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Maestros picture, already looking a little behind time, the battery holder and IBC brackets been installed and wiring has started.
http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1104

Post Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:35 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Looking good! I see you have some of those kickass 250watt geared scooter motor with 7Nm of torque. That should give Maestro some serious drive power and thwack attack Smile I like the idea of using the gas bottles to mount everything inside off, should be a real sturdy robot when your finished. Keep up the great work Gary & Crew.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:59 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Well spotted with the gear motor there Aaron, yes we really like them. Very Happy

It was after the weapon relay welded shut in Fragmentor that we decided they were tough enough for Maestro.

Building everything inside the bottle was a bit tight as the size of the wheels dictated the size of the bottle from one direction and the size of the motors the size of the bottle and therefore the size of the wheels from the other, I have just picked up the last couple of block connectors I need to finish the wiring, couple of other things to do but I might get back to Maestro later tonight. Smile

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm guessing the geared 250watt scooter motors draw a bit more current compared to there 200 & 300 watt counterparts, but even with the rather slow 320rpm output on those motors combined with the 12 inch wheels (yes/no?) you'll still get a tonne of torque and speed (18km/h IICC) Shocked Now the question is, who drives this one???

OT: Since you love working with the gas bottles when building your bots, will we ever see another Mouse Wedge bot comeback? I know you have turned the original into Powder Puff, but will we ever see another one as an under weight 6kg Mouse Wedge or will we be so lucky to see Mice Wedge (My name for a cluster bot version Razz )?

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:47 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes 12inch wheels and a bit of an over volt just to make sure. Very Happy

We did think about Mice as a cluster but the one bot per driver sitch made it unattractive, might still do it one day.

As far as drivers for Maestro Rob and Matt can sort that out, I think it will require considerable skill to get the best out of him, Matt concedes that Rob is our no 1 driver.
One thing for sure it wont be me.

As Mouse is technically a Chronos bot and the Chronos group [ Rod, Dave , Mez ,Kev, and a couple of others whose name escapes me] are getting a bit more motivated something might happen. They are all coming to our next builders meeting. Smile

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:47 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
We did think about Mice as a cluster but the one bot per driver sitch made it unattractive, might still do it one day.

I believe Clustorbots are allowed multiple drivers mainly because it's too hard for a single driver to drive 2-3 parts at once Razz Good to hear the Chronos crew are getting back into it. Was great battling with them in the finals of RoboWars 2003...

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:00 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I think it was more the situation that if for instance we fielded Mice the cluster with Rob and Matt driving it then they could not drive anything else.
They prefer to have their own full weight feathers.

If we had more weight classes that might not be as much of a problem but Hobbies and lighter don’t seem to be catching on down here and NSW gave up on lightweights. No one down this way has shown any interest in the MDF class.

UltiBot is going to slow us down a bit as far as our replacement for Ballistic and Fragmentor.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:04 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Its alive…Just had my first drive [Not a good idea inside house] Hammer comes over nice and easy , just have to split him in half again to reverse one of the motor polarities to get the control working properly. Then test then strip down tidy up Matt’s job to give him a coat of paint and reassemble for real. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:37 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds good Good Garry Hows the rest of the bots going i have out 3 ready just a couple of small fiddly jobs left and mabee a coat of paint iff i have any left

Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:58 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks Andrew, I am doing my normal trick, trying to get too many new bots going.
I put it down to a defence mechanism, if I keep really busy I can keep putting of going looking for a she person for another day. Very Happy

Yes I did notes you were almost packed and ready; but then you have a long way to come.
As far as our other bots Rat just needs a check over and his proper radio re fitted and tested, Bender is driving but needs a lot of work, Reboot needs a little weight trimmed from somewhere to compensate for his heavier drum axel and his spare drum finished, Arena sweeper needs his frame welded, its only tacked at the moment and a couple of other details. Skeletor needs lots but it is my own entry so as usual it gets lowest priority. Caketaker needs its own radio put back, Minimower is good to go, it can even have a hand me down drill pack as the other bots got there new 2400’s Smile

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:15 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1121

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:58 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

got bling? oh yeah Cool

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rob Team Rotwang

It was our most expensive Robot to build around $300 not counting radio batteries and electronics. SO we thought we might as well paint it gold Smile

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:18 pm