www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Inspector General~Techno Magic~Vic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Inspector General~Techno Magic~Vic

Thought it was a bought time Inspector General had his own thread.

IG Mk 1 was originally one of the pilot series of bots Brett and I came up with.
Based loosely on Surgeon General hence the name, the original sketch was more of a symmetrical invertible shape.
I had just finished Mouse and was pleased with the gas bottle design so IG 1 became a gas bottle bot.
The Annihilator incident where Mat driving Ballistic flipped IG knocking Brett out of the comp instead of one of the opposition from one of those other states meant an upgrade was inevitable and a high priority at that. Very Happy

At the time of building the original I did not take the possibility of effective feather flippers seriously.
I picked up where I had left off with the original design but got the thumbs down from Brett, He wonted it to look the same as the original and I think that was a good decision IG Mk 2 changed a bit but is unmistakably IG.
What prompted this post is that I have finally gotten around to doing the panel beating on IG and a couple of mods Brett wonted and there is a possibility that by the time its going again it might have earned a Mk 3 after its name.
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=621

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:31 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

"did i do that"?
tehehe

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Waddy the phoenix

lol

quote:
The Annihilator incident where Mat driving Ballistic flipped IG knocking Brett out of the comp instead of one of the opposition

what ever happened to the defence of "i was playing fair and never aimed for any one in perticular" or should it have been "i was playing fair'ish and never aimed for any one inperticular other than guys that dident come from our state" Laughing

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:41 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Waddy the phoenix:
lol

quote:
The Annihilator incident where Mat driving Ballistic flipped IG knocking Brett out of the comp instead of one of the opposition

what ever happened to the defence of "i was playing fair and never aimed for any one in perticular" or should it have been "i was playing fair'ish and never aimed for any one inperticular other than guys that dident come from our state" Laughing

Nooo as I recall the battle plan was always to knock all of you guys out first then fight it out amongst ourselves.
Very Happy
Matt’s defence was that he was confused by the constantly changing rules and thought 2 bots were to be eliminated that round and took the opportunity to give IG the heave ho.

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:34 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

So in short what youre saying is Rotwang built Inspector General 2 to be invertable so it can deal with other Rotwang bots inverting it. lol

Brilliant

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:39 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Gary always does that.. Laughing

Each generation of Rotwang bots is apparently engineered to take advantage of the weaknesses of the earlier generation..

I should run build threads on my Bots, but I've never been much of a one for posting step-by-steps on what I do.. Besides, most of my bot work is a slow accumulation of parts and ideas followed by a brief period of intense activity (prior to a comp) when I'm too busy to think of posting..

I'll try in future to add comments to here and join in the build thread.. but if I forget to, someone prod me every now and then..

Hmm, what can I say to kick things off..

Well, Jake you didnt "do" that, but you did "cause" it. Wink

The chassis post-plan-b was pretty badly warped and dinted in some inconvenient places, so Gary (who thinks of metal as I would of plastic) obviously decided it was easier to cut it all apart to fix it and then put it back together.. not surprising given his facility with the welder and grinder..

The new drive system worked very well (as anyone who saw the pushing power could tell). Gary's idea of supporting the wheels on both sides and the shock-mounted drive motors meant that despite the large grippy 150mm wheels, I didnt break a single gearbox all weekend even with all the shoving and banging.

What I thought was a broken gearbox (the one I discovered when showing Glen the drive system - thanks glen !) actually turned out to be the plastic fan in the RS-550 that had melted off the shaft and resolidified in between the rotor and the magnets, which is probably why I missed it.. it was driving ok at the end of the fight, but locked up soon after as the plastic cooled.

Radio and Battery issues were no more after the big cash injection into Nicad packs and a PCM radio, so that went well..

Despite the new invertibility capability of IG, It didnt get flipped once over the weekend, so I didnt get to show off that, despite doing a lot of practice driving it upside down to get the feel of it..

The wheels were a struggle.. we needed the big diameter wheels for the invert ability, but we still wanted reasonable traction. the only bunnings wheels that were suitable looked great, but were very heavy, so I spent a lot of time trying to hand-drill the rubber tread and wrecked a couple in the process, so I bit the bullet and bought a cheapy drill-press which made it much easier.. a *messy* job though, I ended up sitting the drill press in a large plastic box and doing the drilling in there to stop black dust from getting everywhere..

In the end I managed to save about 200 grams a wheel I think, but at the cost of weakening the tread a fair bit, which came off the wheel and jammed in the wheel arch after a plan-B hit, putting an end to my ability to move.. Next time I'll glue the treads in place..

speaking of glue, it was my unfamiliarity with Loctite that cost me the final match against plan-B. After discovering the locked-up motor and hurriedly changing in a spare, the loctite I used to secure the reverse thread screw (that holds the drive adapters on) didnt have time to cure, so promptly came loose in the match, allowing that side drive adapter to unscrew itself when driving backwards..

Thats why I.G. couldnt repeat the performance of bouncing plan-B off the arena walls (which I had every intention of doing of course..). I couldnt drive backwards for more than a meter or so before the drive adapter unscrewed far enough to lock the wheel up against the wheel arch. Driving forward for a few seconds would wind it back on again. So most of the match was me trying to keep the wheel on enough to allow me brief periods of turning and reversing.. <sigh>.. next time I've been advised to use Super-Glue in rapid-cure situations.

Umm, other than that, what else can I say.. I'm very pleased with how well I.G. is performing as a design and theres not really a lot I can think of to improve at this point.. Perhaps a stronger Angle-Grinder mount next time.. Laughing

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yes twas quite an impressive machine,

quote:
What I thought was a broken gearbox (the one I discovered when showing Glen the drive system - thanks glen !) actually turned out to be the plastic fan in the RS-550 that had melted off the shaft and resolidified in between the rotor and the magnets, which is probably why I missed it.. it was driving ok at the end of the fight, but locked up soon after as the plastic cooled.

lol my pestering questions DO come in handy sometimes Laughing , funny you should mention that because thats the same way coba did in a motor at 14.4v... might have to see if i can open the motor up and remove that fan for next time (?)

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

hmmm yeah maby just cut off the fan blades

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:36 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Just fire the motor up and shove a screw driver in the fan blades Razz

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:04 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol or just blow off the brushes, and they will take the fans off on their way out, plus youll get a brushless motor to boot Rolling Eyes oh now that was joke

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:37 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

Today while we were in warehouse we noticed angle grinders on special for $25 instead of $40. Also we have a nice little knobby motorbike tyre for chin guard if you need one.

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:42 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, as you probably all know, I'm not very good at doing build reports.. Rolling Eyes In fact, I'm surprised I found I.G.s on page 1, and not down the bottom.. I think that was thanks to Rob telling me about the angle Grinders.

but anyway.. Rest Assured. Inspector General is in fine form and ready to rumble.. (actually he was days ago, but I thought I'd better get some before pics in now that the pre-event organising is done.. yes its nearly 2am.. time for bed).

Ready to be Inspected ? Twisted Evil

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:39 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Looks good, Brett. The crowd should be impressed by the extra effort that has gone into presentation.

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:41 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

That looks sweet who did the paint job for you?
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:54 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Seriously awsome!

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:20 pm