www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

NSW season 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
lol no body seems to like the 6mm steel do they, well ill just sit here twiddling my thumbs while every ones busying re-glassing, welding and cutting. exxxcellent

After the Plan B VS Haemorrhage slaughter, we haven't welded, glassed or cut anything, it was just a quick visit to Mr 14lber and Haemorrhage is all go again. 3mm Aluminium armour protected all the vital bits from that nasty spinner and it was driving in less then 20mins, not many other people can came back from a pile of steaming parts to battle ready in 20mins Razz

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:31 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by chrisjon65:
hey i understand all them ,but it its moving away from what ultimately everyone wants so called' bits of robot smashed all over the arena' isnt that what the so called fans want to see?? do we build defencive rather than offencive robots ......and still be judged on equal terms Wink

As far as I can see the fans seem to get the biggest thrill when the nasty evil bad guy spinner gets his comeuppance.
The roar that went up at Robowars 1 when KO hit Annihilation and sent it into a mauler was amazing.
When ElBravo did the same thing at Robowars 2 the same reaction.
So yes we need spinners and there has to be a few sacrifices but at the end of the day there is nothing the crowd likes more than seeing the spinner upside down smashing itself to bits. Very Happy

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:21 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Heamorage has had a litle welding done on it now after i replaced a heap of pop rivets in the ali i have welded some 1.2 mm and some 3 mm steel around the body for some protection of the ali .

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:24 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Idea 2 - Ablative adhesive armour. Cover your bot in something that is easy for them to get their teeth into but will hopefully stick to their teeth. Polystyrene coated with bike-tube rubber or something similair. Let them rip chunks off you. hopefully some will stick to the spinner teeth and throw them out of balance as they try to spin up again.

I like the idea but don't we have a rule against entanglement? If the rule was dropped, I have some similar ideas to try out Wink

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:00 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Nah glen, cataclysm's more like drive without fear into a 3000rpm Ti bar with 6mm steel! (that what willl happen to all you spinners out there!). I'm also trying to get hold of bicycle spokes, but I doubt i'll find them in time! (idea 3!) Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:51 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:

quote:
Idea 2 - Ablative adhesive armour. Polystyrene coated with bike-tube rubber or something similair. Let them rip chunks off you. hopefully some will stick to the spinner teeth and throw them out of balance as they try to spin up again.

I like the idea but don't we have a rule against entanglement? If the rule was dropped, I have some similar ideas to try out Wink

We do have entanglement rules.. to quote

"12.1.5. Weapons or defenses that stop combat completely of both (or more) robots. This includes nets, tapes, strings, and entanglement devices not specifically allowed in the Special Weapons section 13.2."

Interesting.. "stop combat completely of *both* robots" ? So technically, something that only stops one robot might be legal ? Nets are specifically disallowed though..

Would gumming up someones weapon with a non-net like item that doesnt totally disable the robot count as entanglement ? What about if I cover my bot with UHMW plastic and it clags up someones saw and gets stuck in my bots armour.. does that count as "entanglement" ?

Interesting thoughts.. might be some new bot designs in there if we can clarify what people think counts as being entangled and what doesnt. Opinions anyone ?

(if this turns into a big discussion, I'll move it to its own thread to de-hijack this one)

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i would consider something that intentionally entagles two robots illegal, say a net that shoots out via spring power or something.

but then again i had a setup for cobra for the annihilator that was supposed to be for scoopy that was a big ass net of chain links that i was going to bolt on over the lid to clag up the saw. never got round to it though, but i wouldnt consider it entaglement really because it was going to be bolted onto the robot with some tension

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Its helpfull to remember why there is a rule against entanglement - it makes for a visually boring match. Apart from that, it seems that if only one or part (the weapon) of one bot was imobilised, then the rule would not apply.

I was clearly a victim of this rule, when Robort (largely made of chicken wire) covered and imobilised Basilisk last year. I should have claimed that Robort was really a net and had it disqualified Laughing

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:19 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Annihilation has fallen foul to two entanglement devices, one by KO and his bike cable aerial wrapping around the bearing collar locking the weapon up, and the second was, The Beast, which was also another one of those damned bike cable aerials! Evil or Very Mad

I swear the next person's bike cable aerial I rip off, I'll wrap it around their head Very Happy

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:24 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Didn't that happen to plan-b too? Cool

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:02 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

IMO robots accidentally entangled should be seperated and allowed to continue the fight.

I have a new weapon that will stop spinners in a spectacular fasion, if it works according to theory.

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:12 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

i did say the , FANS thing in a sarcastic fashion folks and all should know im far from giving a rats bum about what the public want to see .......its more about as brett and i both agree on for a change ,in 'attitude' think of robot battling as more than just splattered robots all over the arena..... and see a good battle as a good battle Wink and thats what im trying to get across ............and ill say it again ,we dont want to go down the path of rwuk ,and battlebots i would like to think we are building a whole new hobby in this country and a long life one ,and that requires us to look at every aspect of it to keep it sane ....and if this requires us to change and introduce RULES different to the rest of the world then hey, we are out to get it right ,and not turn it into as circus like the others did Very Happy
but remember its also about implementing the decisions and not talking crap for to long ....argue the points brought up ,vote on them and implement Wink

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:15 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
Annihilation has fallen foul to two entanglement devices, one by KO and his bike cable aerial wrapping around the bearing collar locking the weapon up, and the second was, The Beast, which was also another one of those damned bike cable aerials! Evil or Very Mad

I swear the next person's bike cable aerial I rip off, I'll wrap it around their head Very Happy

I think Jake can relate to that . . . Torn off my aerial about 3 times now, each time getting stuck in the weapon . . . He'll be happy to know that the next one will be internal Smile

ffej.net

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

now thats a great idea... angus go find some mike break cables and use them in another words make that tryangle into evil echnidna Razz

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:01 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Where do you get these mike break cables? Laughing
No seriously, i'm desperate for bicycle spokes! Shocked
You would need heaps of bike cable though, wouldn't you?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:28 am