RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Sidewinder - Hellfire Labs - Qld
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Damn, you spoiled the surprise.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=786

Weight distrabution seem to effect this thing a lot.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun May 08, 2005 6:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Please expain.

Post Sun May 08, 2005 6:16 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Philip, the omni bot has the ability to drive forwards, backwards and straife sideways with out having to break a sweat.

This will be interesting to see working, but does it have a weapon???

Post Sun May 08, 2005 6:35 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well lets say the edge with the reciever is the front. If the make one of the motors closest to that edge turn clockwise and the other motor closest to that edge turn anti-clockwise and the motor out the back not turn at all the robot will drive forward. Or backward if I spin them the other way. If I make all the motors turn clockwise the robot will turn. Same for anti-clockwise.
Now for the tricky bit. If I make the motor directly out the rear turn clockwise but at a medium speed, the motor on the front right turn turn clockwise at a fast speed and the remaining motor turn anti-clockwise at a fast speed the robot will drive sideways to the right. If I do the same in reverse the robot will drive sideways to the left. Or I could do all sorts of combinations and get the robot to do anything.
This is all done in the mixer I got of the robot market place. The wheels were the hard part to find. Well at a decent price anyway. Those one you see on online robot shops are a rip off. The one I'm using here were less then half the price. The are multi-directional convayor wheels, like you see on some aircraft loading convayors.

But at the moment I have a lack of grip or a weight problem or a motor timing problem because its difficult to get it to drive straight either forward, backward or sideways. But I'm getting the hang of it.

Post Sun May 08, 2005 6:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Holy crap this thing is fun to drive. I was getting really worried about how much money I spent on this thing since I couldn't get it to drive at home on the tiles in the kitchen. In fact I even brought some red wheels and tried those instead of the Omni Wheels, but still had trouble. So we took it up to the pub car park where its a bit more roomy. First I still had the red wheels on, but it was working better. Then we switched back to the omni wheels. With the rougher concrete surface it was doing everything I wanted it to do. My brother was getting confused because he couldn't tell which part of the robot was the front so he couldn't understand what I was doing.
It'll still need a few hours of driving before I'll be good but I still managed to do strafing circles and changing direction while driving in a straight line (well a wobbly line). From what I've seen I can either go with a hammer or a horizontal saw or spinner. I only have 50% of the parts for a hammer/axe and the parts I want are out of stock, however I would much prefer a horizontal saw. I'll try to marry the cordless circular saw motor to an angle grinder gear box tomorrow. Then I look at a self righting mechanism. Warhead style maybe. Then dump it all into Solidworks (which started working once I installed the video card drivers).

Post Sat May 14, 2005 4:25 pm 
andrew

theres a antweight bot made by team thinktank called damian thats the same look, shape and design as yours with omni drive etc and has a horizontal saw but the saw runs underneath the bot and pokes out between the wheels.

Could be something to look at anyway's as it reminds me alot of your bot and all and maybe for a saw get a large fan motor (ala scrap and kang) and have a blade to it as at 24 volts i havnt seen anything as of yet which has as much speed and power in it (im not being a arrogant bastard or braging, just stating the truth). and it costs near to nothing and requires barely any work.

For pic of bot thats alot like yorus but antweight go to www.teamwazio.com go to events and teh SNF link and it is the pic thats 3rd row down and 2nd from the right.

Post Sat May 14, 2005 8:22 pm 
RAnts

Couple more Omni wheel bots

Here is a couple more Omni wheel bots....

http://home.ripway.com/2004-1/52908/3108.jpg
http://home.ripway.com/2004-1/52908/ab32.jpg
http://www.teamradicus.com/bots/yc1/images/yc1.0-current.jpg

Post Sun May 15, 2005 11:51 am 
Ali

http://www.teammadcow.com/movies/Tyler_FIRST_omni.MPG theres a video of a 4wd omnibot

Post Sun May 15, 2005 8:39 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well I don't like any of those weapons that those omni-bots have. They are wasting the driving capabilty of the robot. Y-Chromazone (however you spell it) and the ant Andrew pointed out, have their wheels further out then the weapon. In order to attack they must drive forwards otherwise the wheels just get in the way. This leaves strafing to be a purly defensive manovour (i'm spelling great today). Defense doesn't win you fights.
As for Skittle'bau and that drum-bot, they are both vertical spinners. Spinners need to impact with the entire tooth to be effective. Sliding in side ways with a vertical spinner will only ever hit the side of the tooth which won't be as effective as driving forwards.
A well exposed horizontal spinner or saws, lifters or flippers (if designed correctly), hammers or axes, or maybe a thwack bot if you get the wheels grippy enough in the right direction, are the only weapons I would consider for Sidewinder. Last night is had a horizontal under cutter saw.

Post Mon May 16, 2005 8:15 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Maybe a big saw blade over the whole top, which would also protect the wheels? (if the bot's low enough) Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon May 16, 2005 10:53 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Vertical weapons on omnibots also put a lot of stress on the wheels themselves during impact. I think the idea of using a horizontal saw or flywheel is probably best. Cannot wait till I see it at The Reactor Smile

Post Mon May 16, 2005 7:06 pm 
andrew

the only thing that id be worried abuot is those wheels getting shredded up and doing everything in my power to protect them.

Post Mon May 16, 2005 9:27 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

EDIT:Shocked XD
http://www.teamcosmos.com/pop8/SkittleVsTruncation.wmv
"you might want to think up a way of protecting your wheels" /EDIT:

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Last edited by dyrodium on Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:32 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Your coments are very American. Evil or Very Mad

quote:
Don't build anything unusual because it'll just get destroyed

Skittle'brau's wheels where protected from the sides. If any robot had the misfortune of getting an undercutter like that go under them it wouldn't matter what wheels you were using. My omni-wheels would suffer the same fate as your red wheels or Jake's sexy wheels.

And that isn't the only way for an omni-bot to die. Different wheels doesn't mean invincable armour.

Damn wedge and spinner builders. BORING!

Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:31 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, thats true, sorry if i offended you, i just wanted to show you that video, and i did sound american! AH! Shocked
I'm all the go for inventive robots too, unfortunatly the NSW comp doensnt give much allowance for it, with its mass of spinners. Could I ask, how much the wheels were and the place you where you go them from? Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:46 am