RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Sidewinder - Hellfire Labs - Qld
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Sidewinder - Hellfire Labs - Qld

quote:
Style - Its not what you do, Its not how you do it, Its how easy you make it look

Robot Stats

Team name: Hellfire Labs

Robot name : Sidewinder

Team location:(Town /State) Brisbane, Queensland

Robot weight(Class): Feather Weight

Type of Robot:(eg. .spinner, wedge) Undercutter Saw

Drive system :(eg,4 wheel belt drive- scooter motors ect) 3 Wheel omni-directional - Cordless Drills

Type/size of wheels:(eg,6 inch colsons) Muti directioal conveyor wheels (Omni Wheels)

Wheapon/s drive system:(eg. mag motor -belt -drum ) 18V cordless circular saw motor and angle grinder gear box.

Speed/motor control:(eg,Ibc, Home made servo switching ect) IFI Victor 883's, OMX-3 mixer, Team delta switches.

Power: (battery type,i/c, compresed air ect) 18V batteries.

Armour:(steel ,poly carb ect) 3mm smoked polycarb

Length Width Height: ~450mm x 450mm x 180mm

Type of radio controler: Futaba 9CAP

Radio frequancy:( eg,29.775mgz) 75.670 MHz

General coments :(eg ,very fast , good control,) Very fun to drive. Hopefully the self righter will work.

Unuasual charatistics:(eg,Gyro dances dureing fast turns) The ability to drive sideways. Keeping the weapon always pointed at my opponent.

No, of Fights: 0

Wins : 0

Losses: 0

Link to picture in photo albulm:

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Last edited by kkeerroo on Sat May 21, 2005 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total

Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

one word- PHAT

that looks so awesomely crazy yet cool. I love it purely for the looks of it.

I have heard of dragon plate. some sort of carbon fibre isnt it. One of teh totally offensive bots r beuing built using it.

I hope all goes well and promise me youll build it with more than that crappy bunnings lexan Smile.

Good luck and i hope things go well for the build.

Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:20 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

does this mean you arent using chopping boards as structural elements?
my god we are all doomed

Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

You havn't seen Scarifier's rear armour after the last event. The polycarb took at least 2 direct hits from Vertical Limits without any cracks or even penatrating the polycarb. The 1mm steel RHS on the lifter was very much mangled on the other hand. I think I finally got the hang of polycarb.

Anyway The Aggressor will have 150mm wheels driven by drill as usual, at 24V through my trusty Victor 883's. The 24V also goes through the team delta switch and 240amp selenoid into an EV Warrior which has a 1:1 belt drive to a vertically spinning bar. I've tried to design a bar that has the maximum interia, still has a decent bite size, looks good and doesn't weigh too much. A bar simalar to the one in the piccy lazer cut from a 8mm bisalloy plate would weigh 1.7kg and a 3 toothed version would weigh about 2.5kg.

I remember that assembly in the piccy was heavier then I wanted it to be at 12.7kg.

Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

25 days of CAD???

you coulda built it twice in that time Razz

Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mmm 1mm of anything isnt going to do much in RW
standard minimum structural strength seems to be ~3mm AL
10mm lexan for no load applications (ie wheels) though i think glen is using 15mm or more?
but everybody seems to go back to a steel or aluminium (or composite) frame and use polycarb or other plastics for cheap and replacablle armor.

Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey i think we found backlashes cousin Smile

ive got 10mm, and thats cracking all over the shop.. jolt and plan b ripped apart el bs 6mm.... need HDPE..

lookin funky in the cad

Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Nothing like eatting exposed wheels in the morning Twisted Evil

Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:39 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
25 days of CAD???
you coulda built it twice in that time

Yes, but my version will have style. And won't fall apart all the time.

quote:
standard minimum structural strength seems to be ~3mm AL
10mm lexan for no load applications (ie wheels) though i think glen is using 15mm or more?

Yet Scarifier is made from 3mm polycarb and wins compititions. Maybe people should look at how their using the materials on their robots. IE let polycarb flex.

quote:
hey i think we found backlashes cousin

The first version of The Aggressor (Mad Cat) started off looking like Nightmare but was modified into what it was. I then took the same model and started doing one small change at a time and ended up like Backlash. At one stage it was like Heavy Metal Noise and at another like VD3.

quote:
Nothing like eatting exposed wheels in the morning

Does style mean nothing to you people.

I was extremly disapointed when I put Scarifier into the arena at Robowars 2 and I didn't get a reaction from the kids in the audiance. But if it was the first versions of either Hellbringer or The Aggressor I would have. These robots were both my designs, not my brothers (his responsable for the rest of the Hellbringers, Loki and Prancing Queen) and were the only ones I designed on CAD. So if I wanted a crowd pleaser I had to reload CAD back on the computer.

Anyway I finished the .dxf of the parts and sent it off to the Dragon Plate people for a quote. Anyone know of a painless way to remove an arm and a leg? Because that's what it'll cost me.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:38 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I finally got a reply from the Dragon Plate people. I can now see why people call Totally Offensive "Totally Expensive". Anyway I sat there for quite a long while wondering about having a robot with a really expensive frame and all these different add ons I'll have to stop opponents from scratching it. But then I realised something. I spent bugger all on the frame for Scarifier and since the start of the year I havn't been giving a damn wether it get trashed. So I've been crashing head on into any spinner I come across without worrying about damage. And the thing is I am now winning fights because of it. If I spent way too much money on a fancy frame I'm going to spend all my time in the arena running away trying not to get scratched. I think I'd rather go for cheap stuff.
So here's the new plan. Make a new .dxf for a nice big sheet of 6mm grey polycarb. I'll try and fit as many parts as possible so I could have spare parts to make 3 robots if possible. I still want to get it water cut for me as the edges will be a lot smoother then using a jiggy saw, hence less cracks, and I can't cut straight with any tool. I'll use the same sort of construction method I used in Scarifier as I remember watching one of the video's from the last comp were Scarifier was hit by Vertical Limits and the whole body was flexing as it flew through the air. An aliminium robot would bend and stay bent.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:08 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mmm not really.
an AL bot wouldnt bend in the first place.
i dont think any AL bots have actually fallen apart quite like those built out of polycarb.
if your going to get it cut, get it cut out of AL plate, then bolt/rivit/weld it togther.
or go something like cobra, nice solid bot, stands up to Jolt quite readily.
if you make it out of polycarb any serious spinner will just rip panells off, its just not strong enough to transmit the force from the impact point to the bolt holes, so you'll either break the sheet or rip the bolts out of the holes.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:43 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hear about the dragon plate CF?

totally offensive hit a seam in the floor at battlebeach 3 and exploded itself again eh eh eh

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Here's what happens when you design a polycarb or Carbon fibre robot the same way you design a metal one.
http://www.secr.org/florida/battlebeach3/IMG00028.JPG

Thats a quick way to loose $250.

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:40 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I've been thinking way too much about my dream feather weight. Stlye, looks, manovablity, but I don't want to destroy robots any more. Not with spinners anyway.
Changed the name to Sidewinder

All the trippy drive train parts arrived yesterday and I've stripped the motors and speedo's out of Scarifier to make a test chasis. I'm glad I didn't buy an IBC as it'll never cope with this setup. Cool

Last edited by kkeerroo on Sat May 07, 2005 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat May 07, 2005 7:30 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Why do I get the feeling someone has gone and started building an omnibot before me Sad

Post Sat May 07, 2005 9:21 pm