www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Action...Plan B style
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Ali

Action...Plan B style

Hi my name is Alistair
I used to live in Brisbane and thats were i got into robot and my first car park event was at Toombal shopping center . Afew months later i moved to Scotland and i began to get into robot even more . I have been looking at every body's sites and at videos and pics and the robot that has caught my attention is Plan B . The thing i like about it the most is the destructiveness of the disk and the way it move . I have a few question about the robot :
1:What poers the disc and what is the disc made of ?
2:What is Pland B's drive system
3: What is the arond the robot , fibre glass ?
Thanks for all that answer and who know a Highland version of Plan B ma appear...

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:23 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I don't own plan b, but i do know that the disk is lasercut steel, the amour is real thick fibreglass and he runs the disk of a fan motor, i think i'll let the plan b boys take over from here... Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:27 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I remember you Alistar. You had a RC car at the event in Toombul car park and my brother turned on a radio that was on the same frequency and sent the car flying off towards the creek. I wish to again apologise for that. Very Happy
As for Plan B, for what I remember it uses a car fan motor to drive the disc with a 1:1 belt set up. The disc is bisalloy, I'm not sure how thick or heavy but it looks about 200mm in diameter. They have a 1 tooth, 2 tooth and 3 tooth disc that they choose between depending on how soft the target is. The drive are motors out of 12V 300psi compressors and use home made belts and pullys down to home made wheels. Thats as detailed as I can get there as it isn't the part of the robot I look at. The armour around the robot isn't fibreglass, its Kevlar, although its fibreglass on top. I remember this from judging the fight between Plan B and Reboot and the fight with Plan B and Scoopy (and El Bravo) with Brett and Gary trying to dispute damage done to the Kevlar armour with the Plan B boy's. I went with Plan B as the Fibreglass was penatrated but the Kevlar wasn't.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali

Lol thanks kkeerroo you should of seen what happened the next month and my rc car DID go in a creek..i will never go to a park with a rc car again Very Happy anyhoo what are the facts on the fan motor and what was this mystery picture thing ?

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:11 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
the fight with Plan B and Scoopy (and El Bravo) with Brett and Gary trying to dispute damage done to the Kevlar armour with the Plan B boy's. I went with Plan B as the Fibreglass was penatrated but the Kevlar wasn't.

Only 'cause Jake panicked when Scoopy's saw was chewing its way towards Plan-B's innards and called for a 30-second-pin release. Mel was nice enough to let him go, even although it was nowhere near 30 seconds yet.. Razz

In hindsight, she probably shouldnt have, seeing as Jake was then nice enough to aim directly for Scoopys weak spot (the exposed rear arm). Next time Jake, Next Time.. Twisted Evil

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry, thanks for correcting me! BTW, i don't think they have a 2tooth disc anymore, it got pretty buckled against cobra
(they had to use their 3tooth disc for the first time ever!). Yeah, they make their own wheels, and they recently went 24v too.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:40 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the disks themselves are fine, we just snapped (and bent in 3 places) the 16mm shafts. so we just drill them out again and use the disks.
they are plasmacut from bisplate 80, 240mm diamiter at the widest points. average weight is ~1.8-2kg.
the bisplate is harder than our hard facing steel welding rods btw.

we use a car fan motor from a magna (i think) to power the weapon. it seems the motor is quite tollerent of cooking too (pulled it appart the other day and instead of a copper colour its actually yellow, we think its because we cooked the laquer off the surface.
we are running 24V worth of CP3600 full size C cells.

the structure of the bot is made of fiberglass, the armor is kevlar laid up over a variable density foam core. then that is topped by 3 layers of high density foam. The kerros description of our drive is accurate.

for reference nobody has yet managed to get to the foam part of the armor (about 4mm under the surface)
nick went against an earlier version and did us the only signifigant damage we have ever recieved (didn't knock us out though, we did that by popping a 9v battery clip)

there are a fair few pics of the bot online and the work we did to get the radio working well at http://planz.blogspot.com

btw in our fight with cobra we also bent the motor shaft.
no mean feet considdering its on a belt drive.
(we think that when the shaft snapped it hit the wep pully)

new motor winding on left, old one on right
http://baltimore.serverindo.net/%7Ejake/robotwars/marryong%202005-02-26/Post%20Fight/0312_0030.jpg

the snapped shaft
http://baltimore.serverindo.net/%7Ejake/robotwars/marryong%202005-02-26/Post%20Fight/0312_0020.jpg

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

heh at least i got the armour right.

those motors are the TR magna fan motors too,

quote:
Only 'cause Jake panicked when Scoopy's saw was chewing its way towards Plan-B's innards and called for a 30-second-pin release. Mel was nice enough to let him go, even although it was nowhere near 30 seconds yet..

In hindsight, she probably shouldnt have, seeing as Jake was then nice enough to aim directly for Scoopys weak spot (the exposed rear arm). Next time Jake, Next Time..

lol piddly saw vs phat spinner.. saws arent allowed to win Surprised

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ali

Where can i get the compressor motors for drive ? They sound really good and i can proably make up some belts .

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:33 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The 300psi compressor motors are more commonly found in the robot combat world as Mini EV's. You can find them at www.robotmarketplace.com for a dirt cheap price.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:47 pm 
Ali

Wow $6.99 that is quiet cvhep so thats abou £3.65 and i will get a couple but the thing is P&P .

Post Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:54 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
lol piddly saw vs phat spinner.. saws arent allowed to win Surprised

Now how did you spell Cobra again ? ah yes, C-o-b-r-a.. no worries.. the Anenna-seeking saw has now been programmed with a priority-2 target.. Razz See you in the arena Glen..

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:00 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Piddy saw driven by nasty girl VS baby box with a stick driven by a punker who beats 9 year olds for kicks.

The punk was still packing his pants when the saw started dropping Laughing

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:15 am 
andrew

Glen has owned or would have unless for stupid drive problems the best of them including el bravo (whooped all your asses at ahnialator), basilisk TWICE and very close with plan b (stupid drive motor) so unless u have that sorta reputation and skill then id just keep my mouth shut there fella's.

I cant wait till next ahnialator when all u come up here and see what it really takes to be a winner and how all u crappy armoured bots (minus KO and hell razer-woot) do against the likes of the evil plan B, basilisk and i am hoping Orbit will be descent by then too.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:52 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

eheheh i feel the need to rekindle the trash talk thread now Razz

need to get those dewalts in... i always feel like such as sack when i take the robot interstate after a perfect local record and it decides to blow up heh

btw i was half shitting myself in the scoopy match because i had to run the damn robot into the arena with that big british dude chasing me down LOL (the moth?) which was quite the rush Cool

no need to defend cobras w00tage ness welch, fact be that its an unreliable bag as of late

Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:23 am