www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Absolutely Freezing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Absolutely Freezing

Some Queensland roboteers would have heard me talk about my new robot. It is designed to completely destroy any robot that it faces. The weapon system is completely different to any other that I have heard of. It uses liquid nitrogen to freeze the opposing bot.

I accidentally came across this new weapon idea while trying to overcome the cryogenic properties of CO2 in Marauder. Those present at the House of Carnage may remember the CO2 bottle freezing when the gas was dumped.

Mike from Australian Cryogenics helped me find a suitable pipe after my first one failed. Mike took an interest in robots and was prepared to help me when I asked him how you could freeze a robot at long range. The CryoCannon could not have been made without his generous donations of time and equipment.

AF, Absolutely Freezing, shoots a stream of liquid nitrogen up to 1.5 m, or until it hits a robot. The liquid nitrogen quickly expands into 700 times the volume of gas taking the opposing robot down towards -200 C.

Many metals, polymers and rubber become as brittle as glass as they cool. Some readers may be familiar with glass transition. The wheels an drill gearboxes will become as brittle as glass and shatter due to their own momentum. The bushes in motors will shrink and seize motors. Polycarbonate robots will die, sorry Daniel. Saw blades should shatter with spectacular results as will other high carbon steels.

AF will also freeze batteries and stop them working. Batteries may recover as they warm or they may need to be replaced.

Rapidly chilled Fets from drill triggers have cracked in tests. The IBC might survive due to it’s higher thermal mass. I don’t want to spend $315 just to see it being destroyed in a test. We will find out in the next event.

The only downside is that, due to weight considerations, AF will has no armour. This should not matter as no robots will reach AF.

Many roboteers have stated that they love destruction in robot battles. I hope that my little AF creation will make them happy.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:27 am 
andrew

extremely interesting idea there phillip but i swear theres something in the rules abuot that sorta weopon i think.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:44 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

There are several rules about free liquids; I don't think squirting liquid nitrogen would be allowed in any bot competition in the world...

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:59 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Your pushing it a bit Philip.
You said you read the rules at the last event but what abot this from the RFL rules?

12.2. Weapons that require significant cleanup, or in some way damages the arena to require repair for further matches. This includes but is not limited to:

12.4.1. Heat or fire weapons not specifically allowed in the Special Weapons section 13.6
(would freezing a robot be described as a "heat" weapon?)

12.2.2. Foams and liquefied gasses

but I suppose it is all up to the event organiser anyway.

Hmm. I will have to look into thermal shielding.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Re: Absolutely Freezing

quote:
Originally posted by Philip Taylor:
Polycarbonate robots will die, sorry Daniel.

Bugger my robots, what about the arena walls? A whole new meaning to the term "splash damage". Shocked

Actually liquid weapons are banned because it'll take too long to clean the arena between fights which means the audiance will get bored and leave.
Gas weapons were banned after Rhino injected halogen gas into an ICE powered opponent which starved the engine of oxygen, which stalled. Obversly designed against Blendo. They banned that sort of thing because most gasses are invisable and therefore the audiance couldn't see whats happening. Its visual entertainment after all.

As for how this effects liquid nitrogen, well it'll turn into a gas quickly when it warms up, so its self cleaning. Wink It'll form a nice big cloud of white smoke when it hits an opponent so that'll be the visual component.

Its the arena walls I'm affraid of. Or worse, the gaps in the arena walls. Liquids and gases will find them more easily then a lump of flying robot.

But it still sounds like fun. Maybe Scarifier will have a flame trower after I finnish playing with pneumatics. Cool

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Liquid will never touch the floor.

Spinning saw blades will shatter. That will be spectacular.

We will have to seal the bottom of the arena as there is a real possibility of freezing a limb.

I will see if Mike can set up for a photo tonight to show the spectacular cloud as the liquid nitrogen stream hits warmth. We might be able to set up a display out in the padock, away from people, on Sunday with the Big Guns.

Would you kkeerroos be interested in destroying one of your saw blades for thre demo?

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:21 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds real dangerous, and something more suited to american comps, where you do't care if you completely trash someones bot. Keep in mind that not many people would see this type of destruction, so it's kinda similer to weapons like tazers (banned). Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:20 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'm not sure how

quote:
Liquid will never touch the floor.

and

quote:
We will have to seal the bottom of the arena as there is a real possibility of freezing a limb

go together. If you needed to seal the arena at floor level, doesn't that imply there will be liquid gas around?

I don't know how you are planning to apply the gas, but if it gets on anyone accidentally, that bit is pretty much dead - doctors use liquid nitrogen cooled tools to freeze off moles. If you had a leaking weapon or it accidentally discharges, it will be really dangerous.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:16 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hmm, its a very interesting concept.. absolutely skirting the edge of a few of the rules, but I cant see anything that is a blatant violation of them..

quote:
12.2. Weapons that require significant cleanup, or in some way damages the arena to require repair for further matches. This includes but is not limited to:

12.2.1. Liquid weapons not specifically allowed in the Special Weapons section 13.3. (Also, a bot may not have liquid that can spill out when the robot is superficially damaged.)

You would have to be able to demonstrate that a mis-aimed fire of your robot isnt going to turn the polycarb walls into ice-cubes and turn the audience into popsicles. and leakage from the system would have to be near impossible.

It doesnt sound like it would require any clean-up though, so thats not a problem, and its not a form of heat or fire.. so thats cool..

12.6 could be a bit of a worry..

quote:
12.6. Hazardous or dangerous materials are forbidden from use anywhere on a robot where they may contact humans, or by way of the robot being damaged (within reason) contact humans.

But this could also apply to CO2, and we allow that, so its obviously not that literal a rule.

I have to say spraying Liquid Nitrogen about worries me though..

Its an ingenious concept though.. A kind of "Dr-Freeze"..

The re-fill proceedures and handling of the liquid N2 would have to be done very carefully and in accordance with any relevant regs of the stuff.. I know my local engine building shop uses it (I forget what for).

First thing I'd be doing is aiming your freeze-o-ray at some 6mm polycarb and seeing what happens. If it breaks or suffers significant weakening, then you have a big problem.

Clever as the weapon is, we cant allow the safety of the Arenas to be compromised. If you can come up with an economical way where the audience can be protected, then I cant see that its specifically illegal in any way.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I seem to remember that at a science demonstration, liquid nitrogen could be thrown (in small quantities) at a person, and it would turn back into a gas due to the body heat of the person, this gas stopped further liquid from reaching the person. Similer to the fact that you can cover your hand with water, and quickly dip it into molten lead without it burning you. the vapour of the water makes an exelent insulator.

However because you claim it would cause significant damage to peoples robots, ESPECIALY polycarb ones, it seems it would cause the same damage to the arena... Also keep in mind that most arenas have lots of sensitive accessories like lights and (in the possible future), active obstical mechanisms.
Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Last edited by dyrodium on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:27 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

im not a qualified chemist by any means, but heres my input.

the reason why gas engines arent allowed in our arenas is lack of positive ventilation... if you go in the arena after a fight you will probably be asphyxiated by the CO gas from the exhaust.

i wouldnt mind betting if you go into the arena after a fight with this thing spughing N gas around youll be choking to death.. but as i said im not a chemist so god only knows if thatll happen... but one would assume it would.

12.2.1. Liquid weapons not specifically allowed in the Special Weapons section 13.3. (Also, a bot may not have liquid that can spill out when the robot is superficially damaged

^^ would not that instantly disqualify the weapon, as the N2 comes out of the robot as a liquid..

check 12.2.2 as well, im not sure how to copy and paste from the rfl rules thingy.

i guess if it does what you said to steel and polycarb robowars and marayong arenas are totally out of the question for it to fight (blasting the wood sides at the OC arena wouldnt be conductive to its well being either).

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've got something that might stand a change.... One good thing though, your weapon will be it's own greatest weakness, when firing liquid NO2, your barrel will also become very brittle Cool

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:53 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

not if he kept it inside something to protect it from hits.
i agree with dyrodum i've acutally had liqued nitrogen drip on my hand at a science demo and i just jumps around like crazy and feels like cold water.
you would probably have to pin/hold a bot still enought to be able to hold the spray on long enough to cause enought damage.
consider an injecter so insted of spraying the bot a needle like spike goes in and sprays the insideswith the liquid (nitrogen,petrol,water?) .
that's what was going to be my idea in the latter parts of my bot building
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:16 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That's banned too, you can't have liquid weapons, all rules disallow them! Just stick with a flamethrower!!! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:47 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Mmm ive had this strange idea of putting an umbrela on my next bot lol must have been intution .....

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:18 pm