www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Absolutely Freezing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

On Another safety note you would have to store the l/nitrogen away from danger i wouldnt like it to be spilt in the pits .. your venting of the co2 was scary enough .... ive played about with liquid nitrogen a little when i was younger on a dairy farm i dont like the idea of frozen fingersor toes if its spilt into someones shoes.. as for the bots i doubt a spinning saw would freeze from a stream of the stuff unles it was from a fire hose most of it would be flung of with centrifical force and its own expansion as it turns to a gas the same would possibly aply to wheels unles you are planing to pick the bots up and dump them in a bucket of the stuff lol ...

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:33 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

This is bound to cause a rot, but I'm waiting to see it work. If it works, time to get serious Twisted Evil

EDIT: I just thought of something that this bot is breaking. Your using liquid Nitrogen as an " untethered projectile " Razz

BIAIBI....

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:35 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

first impression
Plan-B (/D muwhahaha) / Jolt / Cobra Vs 0 armor = Looser

further thinking
N2 will displace air, your body dosent detect a lack of oxygen you detect too much Co2, you wont realise your sufficating, you'll fairly quickly become disorientated then sleepy then you laydown and die. so yeah if you gass off a signifigant ammount of Ln2 you will want much ventilation (change the atmosphere in the arena roughly 2x a minute and i'd say have 2 change overs before allowing people in. in addition you must ventilate from the bottom as the vapour given off from the Ln2 will be cold so it will want to sit near the floor. in this regard CO2 is probbly less dangerous, you will recognise you "cant breathe" and will more than likeley do something about it, Ln2 you dont get that "i need air" feeling)

As to it actually working.
most steels and the like arent going to change all that much over a moderate temperature range so you will have to do alot of cooling to have much effect. an nobody is going to let you keep their robot dunked for the 30seconds it'll take to cool off signifigantly.
meantime they will be trying to kill you.
people seem to forget this when they are designing robots, the other guy isnt going to be sitting there letting you hurt them
they are going to be killing you.

part B of that.
ok so its brittle, now what?
gearbox is well insulated, even dunked in Ln2 its still going to take 20-40s before it becomes cold enough to worry anything.
the steel sides on cobra are now "brittle" uhhh sfw, unless you have some kick ass spinner to take advantage of that it wont do anything.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
Sounds real dangerous, and something more suited to american comps, where you do't care if you completely trash someones bot. Keep in mind that not many people would see this type of destruction, so it's kinda similer to weapons like tazers (banned). Confused

I wondered if the destructive nature was going too far at the time Absolutely Freezing was first considered.

Time for some self indulgent introspection.

I was all for WMDs when I first heard about Robot Wars. I was impressed with the destruction of Hypnodisk and Raiser. I was going to build a robot that would cut the other in half and make the other roboteer cry.

I came to the realization that this wasn’t me. I didn’t want to upset people. I didn’t want to destroy anyone’s robot. I did want a chance of winning and to make have a visually appealing fight. That is why I went for flippers.

Now for the obvious question. Why Absolutely Freezing? Do I want to tear up $000s of dollars of someone else’s money? How would Nick feel if he was in danger of having his rare earth magnets, in his Magmotor, shatter? Would I enjoy the look on peoples face when they thought of buying replacement IBC’s and battery packs? How would it be to pick up small frozen pieces of robot?

I nearly scrapped the whole idea. I didn’t want to cause any fear. I finally decided that April fools day comes only once a year and so I went ahead with AF. My thanks to those who picked up on my ruse and played along or kept quiet.

Robots are all about people having fun. I hope you all enjoyed my little AF creation.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:39 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

LMAO you suck so bad Mad

Razz

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK, OK,.. 1 Point to Philip for suckering the rest of us so well.. Laughing

Look at the volume of posts you generated in a short time.. you sure engaged everyones imagination well..

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Mad Mad Mad Very Happy I didn't think someone could be THAT evil anyways... ARG I SUCK!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:34 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:23 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

And Jake just goes 5 steps too fair into technicallity land Razz

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:45 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I know that land.. its not hard to encourage a techie aware person to go there.. Very Happy

I recall a heated conversation we had in a repairs department once over the exact spectrum of radiation being emitted by an item and whether it was a simple linear function of current/temperature or whether the molecular structure of the radiating electrdode material would have a significant impact on the the emission parameters and would have to be carefully measured before such a sweeping statement of its suitability as a raditation source for a particular job of illumination we needed could be made.

Yes, we suddenly reaslised we were about to come to blows over what sort of light comes from a light globe. and one of those moments where everyone suddenly stops and thinks "Either we were just behaving in some incredibly intelligent technical way without realising it..... or we were all being complete wankers" decends upon you.. Embarassed

Its a phenomenen that happens me quite often in my life.. So what I'm saying I understand Jake launching off into Techno-Land at the drop of an electron. Been there, Done that. Its Fun Smile

Anyway, as Arthur C Clarke put it..
"The only way to discover the limits of the possible.. is to venture a little way beyond them.. into the realms of the impossible". Smile

He Also said "Any sufficiently Advanced Technology is Indistinguishable from Magic",, which is where my business and team gets its name from.. Razz

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:23 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I thought that the safety discusions above were a credit to all involved.

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:10 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Too late for all my NIB magnets, Phil - they shattered from shame at being hoaxed so thoroughly Smile

While we talked about oxegen deprivation, I just watched a video from Robogames, where the Bounty Hunter guy released his almost full tank of CO2 after a quick win. I wonder how he felt after almost dissapearing in the resulting fog cloud?

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:15 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Would you know if it was particularly humid at Robogames? My CO2 bottle doesn't cause clouds when it is dumped.

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:25 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

No idea really, but Bounty Hunter vented LOTS of 'something' every time it lifted so it could be they have a design problem where they get liquid CO2 in the ram, which I hear is a bad thing.

Have a look at the vids on the Team Cosmos site, the fight with Steel Pirhana is a classic lifter tactics lesson

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:29 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I checked and the event is near the bay in San Francisco, so it could be quite humid...

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:38 am