www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Middleweight Madness!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Abregado

Middleweight Madness!

Hey guys,

just wondering which builder have operational Middleweights at the moment. I heard that there are 4 robots currently constructed, but rumors as they are i thought id ask the professionals.

If you do, could you please make yourself known... or even better if u know of someone then PLEASE dob them in! haha

Looking at holding an Exhibition match at Rye to show off the larger bots, and also to test the new (Scoopy proof) metal cladding that we are installing.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:36 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

not a middleweight but nsw nick has a lightweight mag motor powered spinner thats gathering dust, im dobbing you in nick! get artemis working Very Happy

do you mean heavyweights btw? 100kg? i know of a couple of those in existence but only middleweight i know of is lawnmower.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Abregado

No, i dont think we could handle 100kg (heavyweight) bots.. yet

I mean the 50kg middleweight bots. 54.45kg according to the Robowars website.

How heavy is Artemis? I would be visiting ann middleweight owners in person to discuss the event and to inspect the bots before any sort of date was set.

Nick if your interested PM me some contact details and we can set up a meeting.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:56 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The Acid Test could possibly be Upgraded to a Middleweight with something better than drills for Drive if theres an arena that can handle middleweight spinners.

Given that its the first bot we built way back when, it'd be nice to finally see it spin those wheels in Anger..

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

whack some scooters in there and your set... hmmm another random holiday to melbourne is needed me thinks.

i think where ready for lightweight fighting now. weve got a fair share of them around and the marayong arena could handle them with a bit more poly on the front.

hope we see some big bot action soon Very Happy

edit - artemis - http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=133

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:18 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Lawnmower is the Rotwang middleweight.
It has run but is not working at the moment, I would need the prototype MMC’s but if Brett wonts to get Acid Test going then he will need them.
I might find out how much an IBC can really stand.
Don’t Panic! Brett, Smile I have come up with some geared PMDC motors to replace the series ones.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:00 pm 
Abregado

Gary, Hopefuilly i will be able to get some time to come visit you and the family.

Brett. The Junkyard should be able to handle Middleweight spinners. We are putting in more supports for the lexan (there were small gaps on the left and right of each sheet). Also i think we may have solved the visibility and crowding problems in the arena (although its top secret).

Any others that anyone can think of. 3 robots is enough for an exhibition, but 4 would be preferable Wink

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:13 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Would be good to see Lawnmower fighting its been around forever, first one dad built, has only apeared at the Flower show and bretts car port just lifting 50kg robots into boot of car will be difficult, think dad needs to get his station wagon going so we can just drive Lawnmower in :p
wont be a problem getting it into the arena, it was designed so it could fit through doorways.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:34 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I think Bulldoze can be set up as a middleweight. It uses modular weapons front and back and we have never got as far as putting armour on it.
It uses wheelchair motors and drives ok on an IBC don’t think I wouldn’t be game to over volt it though.
It is nice and big so it looks impressive and without its big front scoops it will go through the arena door ok. Very excited at the possibility of getting our big robots going. Very Happy

Thanks Ben the Rotwang team given a little time will be more than happy to front with 2 middleweights.
Very Happy

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:52 pm 
Abregado

Awesome! I has hoping for 4 bots. Makes it nice and simple for figuring matches.

Id like to do the rounds to meet the owners and bots in the next 2 weeks. Probly a weekend or if most of you will be at the Sidetracked Builders meet, then i can catch up with you then. Of course I will still need come visit the robots Wink

The aim of these exhibition matches is to fill in spare weekends at the Junkyard and to show australia whats really out there!

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:27 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

Now I could have some larger wheels made.
Add a few more battery packs (24 Volt on the Mag motor for weapon)
use the larger weapon. 1Kg balls.
and find some stronger motor gearbox for drive train.

and Little Brute could grow up a bit.

Will have to look in to this. Not sure when I could get it running with this config tho.

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:33 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just wondering if a little light duty testing of the prototype BMC’s is in order? Plenty of room in Bulldoze for them. Very Happy

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:12 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Ahh, Glen U weasel! Laughing I haven't thought about Artemis for about 6 months.

Its a 'super-sized' Jolt with 4 wheel drive and two 24V nicad packs driving a Mag-powered blade. I was having trouble getting the weight under the lightweight limit and now I am wiser, it didn't have enough armour. If I built it as a middleweight with way more armour and dewalts n place on XU1 drills, it would make an OKish middleweight. I don't have the budget until later in the year, so I am interested in the longer term...

Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:40 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Brett it’s hardly worth re fitting Acid Test just to have it hacked to pieces by a full sized Hazard clone. Sabertooth chassis is sitting here doing nothing, With not a lot more work than it would take to up grade acid test I could get it rolling and you could use it? Smile

One other thought Ben , Brett and I were working on the terrain idea for the middle and heavy weight bots, Acid Test 2 just a pop at this stage, Sabertooth under construction, Bulldoze and Lawnmower Driving but un finished . Are all built to traverse ramps small steps outdoors grass etc.
Artimes is probably not as it was intended for a flat floor class however as the Junkyard is so big some terrain would make it more interesting.
It would make the first Australian Middleweight Event even more of a milestone and I would get a real kick out of seeing robots I have worked on climbing over things.
Might just have something to do with one of my other hobbies, 4 wheel drive vehicles Very Happy

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:46 am 
Abregado

I was considering attaching some plastic/rubber speed humps to the floor for this exact reason, but their would be room for non-off road bots to get around them and it wouldnt hinder the match any. This will give the builders who have put effort into off road class a little bot of a bonus, while not penalizing everyone else.

Actually Dan and i were discussing the idea of filling the junkyard with compacted dirt like they do to football ovals when they have things like Crusty Demons and Motorcross. Then we could (in the future) have dirt events within the safety of an arena. *feel free to discuss*

Nick, id like to drive up and visit you and some of the non-victorian builders. Can you PM me some contact details for yourself?

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:03 pm