Subliminal - team Overkill - NSW
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Subliminal - team Overkill - NSW

Subliminal , Team Overkill's wedgebot

I finally got all the main parts of my new wedge together for a POP photo:

It uses the thingaps and other parts I had hanging around for a year in an evolution of the bot designed for RoboGames. The chassis is about 44mm thick, limited by the gearbox hight.

The chassis is 'a bit different' It will be made from a sandwich of UMHW and metal sheets, with very little air space inside. In the photo above, virtually all the MDF you can see will be solid UMHW with space for the wheel wells, and central electronics milled out. It looks like the entire chassis can be held together with sheetmetal screws - no welding this time.

Not shown are the wedges, which almost double the footprint of the bot. Initially, I will be making a test model with aluminium and MDF sheets and if that works out I will do it in UMHW and titanium.

The current challenges are to made a super strong hinge for the wedges and to fit some cooling inside.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:21 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Mad im so freakin jealous right about now.

mmmm so i guess youve done the impossible and used THE MOST expensive stuff you can get *applaus*

cant wait to see that badboy runnin

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm, what weight class? Smile VERY nice!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:26 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

looks like a feather to me, btw why is it so big?

i reckons you could pack it down into literally half the area.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
youv'e done the impossible and used THE MOST expensive stuff you can get

Um, not quite the most expensive - I originally wanted two of the largest size Polyquest Lithium cells Smile. I had all the expensive bits hanging around from last year - I only needed the batteries, switch and aerial to complete the POP.

It looks larger than my usual featherweight bots 'cause the minimum wall thickness is 20mm. The main chassis ingredient is plastic, so I have to compensate for the weaker material by using more of it. I am already thinking the area around the batteries could be reduced and as long as I leave room for cabling and airflow, a few mm can be saved. The other reason it looks big is that its so flat - nothing can stand on end or stack up as the internal hight is only 38mm (1.5")

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:10 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I weighed the POP (everything in the photo except the MDF template) - it comes in at 3.4Kg, including some extra motor mounting bolts, two roller balls and 100g allowance for wire. That leaves only 10.2 Kg left for the chassis Smile . I guess I could use depleted uranium or something...

The UMHW will weigh more than it looks but the complicated shape makes it next to impossible to predict without a fancy 3D CAD package. I'm guessing 4 to 5 Kg and the rest in armour and fasteners.

I tried to make the frame slightly smaller by following Glen's advice. I crammed the batteries and electronics in tighter but then added in the roller balls which used up most of the spare space so the chassis stays the same, but with a thicker frame at the front

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:08 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I figured that the entire electronics package up to the motor connections can be mounted on a sub-chassis for easy servicing and shock protection. I will make a stubby T shaped plate from 5mm plastic (probably cutting board) to mount everything on so that I just undo 4 screw terminals for the motors to lift out the bot's electronics.

The plate can have a 5 to 10mm foam buffer around it's edge for shock protection.

The plate may also have a cooling fan or 2 either side of the IMX controller as the Victors are too tall to have their own fans. There has been plenty of bad press in the US forums about fans breaking from impact shock, so hopefully mounting the fans to the plate willreduce this.

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:09 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I found these new heavy duty roller balls for Subliminal that are even smaller than the ones I usually use:

They are only 20mm diameter and due to the bolt mounting, I will be able to adjust the bot's ride hight after assembly.

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:36 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Roller balls! Ah! whre do you get them and how much are they? Need one for cataclysm. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Here is a cheaper version that I have used quite successfully. They have worked for Glen too but need protection against weapon impacts (IE Jolt demolished one on Cobra last year Very Happy )

http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-917public__0-0.html?cache=no

RS Components sells a range of better quality rollers at higher prices. not cheap but you get what you pay for:

http://www.rsaustralia.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Browse.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0605059497.1112768609@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddefjgfegecefeceefdffhdgmk.0&cacheID=auie&3290221450=3290221450&catoid=-87566956

They have many different mounting styles and sizes.

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:27 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol im not too big a fan of the cheap ones at all,

i basically destroyed them running them on the concrete out the back and yeah nick absolutely destroyed one. i also reckon that them clanging on the ground makes abit of interference too. my other castor has a big dent in it too which means it only half rolls.

the ones chris has are monsters.. aka the real deal and i would dive for those at all costs.

btw in regards to size, im thinking you can have the batteries in 2 strings, in between the victors and the thingap gearboxes. that space is just yellin out "USE ME" Smile

quote:
it comes in at 3.4Kg, including some extra motor mounting bolts, two roller balls and 100g allowance for wire. That leaves only 10.2 Kg left for the chassis . I guess I could use depleted uranium or something...

tisk tisk, that leaves 3kg for the chassis and 7.2kg for the spinner eh eh eh

oh yeah and i think somethings wrong with that picture of the POP, theres only 2 wheels on it Wink (w00t with *4wd*)

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:50 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
somethings wrong with that picture of the POP, theres only 2 wheels on it

Yeah, I thought about that, then I remembered that day when Jake, you and I found what didn't work with 4WD Wink That's for the Annhilator...

My game plan for this bot is to build something that is super reliable, not something with a leading-edge weapon, so plenty of armour and simple parts inside are the way to go.

I raided the kitchen tonight and all the chopping boards were too thick, even the cheapo ones Twisted Evil ! I guess I will have to order some plastic for the electronics plate.

@ Glen: I'm not quite sure where you meant to put the batteries; there is hardly any room between the Victors and gearboxes. I tried swapping the positions of the Victors and the batteries and while there was a space saving, it wasn't in a useful place. I will do another photo or drawing...

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:17 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I updated the parts layout slightly:

The grey overlay is the shape of the UMHW walls - it doesn't fit the photo very well, but you will get the idea. The green overlay is the shape for the electronics plate. There is a fan overlay just below the power switch.

As you can see, I added some rollerballs to the layout the ones I will actually use are a little smaller but they need plenty of material around them for support & protection. In the real bot one of the roller balls will be facing down.

The red areas are wasted space that I can't see a use for - any sensible suggestions are welcome!

I started the power wiring last night; the motor leads are very short & neat and the rest of the wiring will be kept as short as possible too. The power switch leads look over-length, however they have to skirt around the fan, which takes up the last free space.

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:21 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

It looks well thoght out to me. Is the weight ballanced over the wheels?

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:07 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I couldn't see any way to get the weight over the wheels without wasting even more space. What I am hoping is that the batteries are close enough to the motors to provide some down-force and that the wheels are pretty grippy.

In action, using the wedge on the wheel side should work well - the opponent's weight will push the wheels down for more grip.

I received the new rollerballs today - they are much smaller than the ones in the photo and WAY better quality! I also got some lighter duty braid for the battery packs. Its only rated at 30 amps but I figure the short lenghts in a battery pack will be fine at higher currents - its about the size of 10g wire in any case.

Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:21 pm