www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Speed controler info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
does the controler you want to use change the motor direction in each pair of wires

yep thats exactly how it works, theres 4 wires on it where the two motors used to attach to it. two wires per motor.

quote:
From what i imagine you want to switch two seperate pairs of relays with the four origional motor wires

close, i want to switch on four relays with the four wires, i just only drew up half the controller in my diagram. there are two relays per motor, one for fowards one for reverse. and i want to use two of the old motor wires to activate these two relays

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

oK im sure Glen can follow your expert diagrme easily enough ..

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:00 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Totaly_Recycled:
oK im sure Glen can follow your expert diagrme easily enough ..

LOL. I can't take the credit for the diagram, it was Jeff who drew it. I just modified his diagram to use only 2 SPDT relays instead of 4 SPST relays, while adding in breaking in the process.

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:02 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Assuming the green block is the lego controller, then Glen's original diagram is correct.

The paralell diodes are used for clamping negative-going spikes caused by relay-coil kickback.. if you wired two relays in parallel with diodes like that, the output from the Lego controller would be shorted whenever it tried to go over .6v.

With the diodes in series, one relay will conduct with one output polarity, and the other when it reverses.

Of course that only gives you bang-bang control, rather than the PWM of the servo-board driven rig, and the servo-board gives you a semi-failsafe rig, since when it loses the radio signal, the Fets stop driving, but a couple of diodes are a lot easier than hacking up some servo's if the motors are lo power.

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

No wories Glen i Asumed you were useing 5 volt relays to switch the 12 volts and wanted each pair of wires to control fowards and reverse on a seperate motor which my diagrme will do .I just drew in the under side of the relay showing the actual conectors to make wireing easier i dint draw in the second set of relays as they are just a duplicate of the other set .

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:50 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Aaron. Jason has said he'd like me to work on designing an updated IBC with him sometime in the future, but we havent started on it yet.

I have a few new ideas I could incorporate into a controller, but cant really see a "gap" in the market that needs filling at the moment. There are plenty of controllers just above the IBC in price and features wise available from overseas, so there wouldnt be a lot of point in it. Thats why the MMC's never made it to market. its difficult to build them in Australia at a competitive price given our very limited market. You can just buy OSMC's which the MMC is a slightly improved version of..

If someone knows of a feature or controller that they would like that doesnt already exist, let me know, but no, you cant say "I want this and this and this for less money than that controller".. Brett's post from the All Terrain Thread

Brett, I was looking at getting a Sidewinder controll soon, but the everyday fluctation of the Aussie Dollar makes the controller go from $420 to $500 depending on the exchange. The main reason I wanted a Sidewinder was due to the size and the current limiting ability. I continously support using the IBC due to the fact it's built here in Australia and if I have problems, I can easily pick up the phone and get some help, plus it doesn't cost me $50 in postage to send it overseas to get it looked at.

If yourself and Jason were to commit to a larger version of the IBC similar to the Sidewinder (80+amps & current limiting) I'm sure quite a few people would buy the controller because it would then void the need to buy overseas controllers.

EDIT: Price wise, I'd rather spend $450 buying a controller here in Australia then from the US or UK, mainly because here we can get tech support and at larger events (RoboWars and The Annihilator) we had technicians on site who were able to fix controllers (Jason did a wonderful job fixing IBC's at RoboWars Razz) But if I was to buy a set of Victors or a RS80D and something went wrong, it would cost me $150 roughly to get the suckers fixed, where as currently, my IBC has only cost me $40 to get 2 fets replaced and a hip chip. I have my IBC back in 3 weeks. Mmmmm, this edit has become another post in itself Razz

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:03 pm 
assassin

Ok, some controller advise please and/or mechanical. I have designed a lifter bot with a front lifting wedge. I'm looking @ moving this wedge with a banebots 256:1 gear-motor( http://banebots.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=36_63&products_id=233 ) and further 2:1 gearing via chain and sprockets.

Make sense?

I would like to have servo like control over the motor, and to be able to go up & down(above and below bot). Using the spring loaded stick on the radio for self centering(as in level with the ground).

What type of motor control should I be looking at? Also do I need to have the wedge self center(level with the ground) with springs or similar.

Also thanx to Aaron for design tips so far. Very Happy

Post Sat May 13, 2006 5:44 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Andrew Aidulus has modified a servo board to act as a speed controller. You might be able to use Andrew's method and combine it with a feed-back pot to do what you want. You would also need a failsafe to be legal.

Post Sat May 13, 2006 6:35 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

To have a servo controlled lifterwedge could be interesting. The controller is fairly easy, but I think you'll have problems with the motor itself, making a motor act like a jumbo servo requires a lot of stalling to hold it into place under load, I think you might just find that a problem. Using a Worm drive would probably be the easiest cheap solution and you could get away with just a relay H-Bridge.

Post Sat May 13, 2006 6:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

just short the motor wires together when theres no power to the motor with a reduction up in the hundreds it would be hard to back drive the lifter with the leads shorted....

Post Sat May 13, 2006 7:09 pm 
assassin

Would I be stripping gearbox's easily then Glen?

What about the wedge returning to ground level automatically Aaron?

Post Sat May 13, 2006 7:21 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
What about the wedge returning to ground level automatically Aaron?

Drivers skill Cool

Post Sat May 13, 2006 7:22 pm 
assassin

has anyone found windscreen wiper motor gearboxs with steel gears in them?

Post Mon May 15, 2006 8:49 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Andrew A has 4 x XF Falcon motors with hand made metal gears in them... Talk to him about them Wink

Post Mon May 15, 2006 9:05 pm 
wilko

does anyone know about those pic-relay speed controlers (lik where do u get them ect) and for ur prob why not just use microswitches to stop it if it gets to hi or low

Post Fri May 19, 2006 9:34 pm