marto
Experienced Roboteer

Qld rule poll

Just wondering if you think we should separate the bots if they get stuck

Last edited by marto on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:07 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I've screwed up the poll if anyone doesn't think we should separate them just post

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:10 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I think if they get stuck with in the first two minutes and cant get apart then stop the clock and seperate them if its over the 2 minute mark then put the round to a judges decision .

Also on the subject of getting stuck under the arena wall the i feel the same rule should apply but if the same robot gets stuck two times in a row then mabee it should be left there and then be up to the driver to decide wheather he wants to wait and see if the oppont charges him and gets him unstuck or he /she can decide to end the match .

As every one knows the boards in the arena are not there as an intended hazzard but are there as protection for spectators so while this is a nusciance at times we just have to make decisions at the time that every one agree's to be a fair thing .

Our wedge style robots have been stuck a quite few times on the walls but most times our opponents have hit us wiith enough force to shift us and some of the times the driver's have managed to get them unstuck .

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:49 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

yes i agree ,but do try and fix the problem ,it does make it easier ...
try this one !!!!!
what if a robot gets wedged under the arena wall and the opponent uses that to his advantage and proceeds to belt the bot from behind wedging it tighter and continously attacking and not trying to dislodge the opponent ,is he seen as unsportsman like or clever tactics .......
try this one !!!!!
nick hits the wall with jolt and becomes attached to the wall because his bar buried into it ...... what is if sorry then proceeds to ram him with a spike or cut him with his blade but not enough to dislodge the dreaded bar Wink ......
is this seen as unsportsman like or clever tactics .....
the reason i ask this is you should consider these type of things when deciding on a rule ......let me put it this way ,if i managed to get under nick and rammed him into the arean wall and cause the above scenario i would be very pissed off he was allowed to stop the battle and dislodge himself ........after i managed to force the occurence ....@NICK sorry lol nothing personal just needed an example Wink

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:08 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Some good points there.. unfortunately I'm at work waiting for some stuff to install at the moment, so I havent the time to give a well considered answer.. Sad

In brief, if you're stuffed into the wall (or lifted and stacked against it) by enemy action, you should get left there.. if you screw up and drive yourself into the wall or are otherwise jammed by some event not caused by enemy action, then an unstick may be permissible.

Its better to try and make the arena as unstick-able as possible though..

@marto : you can fix your poll to the way you wanted it by clicking "edit" on the first post in the thread.

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I think it would be fair enough with the 2 min thing cus it can be a stradegy and just annoying.

@ spokie nah you can't change the poll just your message

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:17 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

You could just do what they do in the US and let the bot be manually freed once, but if they get stuck again, its bad luck, and the other bot can do whatever it likes to you . . .

ffej.net

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I like that idea what does everyone else think.

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:38 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

@marto: well, maybe you have to be an admin ? I'll delete your poll and you can add a new one, or tell me what you want it to say and I will

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by nightshade:
You could just do what they do in the US and let the bot be manually freed once, but if they get stuck again, its bad luck, and the other bot can do whatever it likes to you . . .

Then you would get people deliberetly trying or faking that the other bot is stuck and then being able to hold the other bot for the hole fight.

I can see hooks being attached and clamping jaws that allways seem to get stuck for some unknown reason Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:04 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Well bots used to get stuck on the jaws but not at recent event and since then have also put some anti stick pieces on the front.

At the recent event with the fight with Hellbent and scoopy, at on point in the match Hellbent was trapped in scoopys tray and was getting cut.
Ric made a good call and seperated them only to find that scoopy had lost a wheel.

So who was stuck> Hellbent for being in the tray or scoopy for holding Hellbent when it had lost one side of its drive.
People will manipulate the rules any chance they get so make them simple I say so we dont end up with a skewed perspective of the rules when it suits someone.

Well done to Rick for making that desicion to seperate, It wasnt popular at the time but when the wheel fell off it was proof of the pudding and validated his desicion.

My thought would be leave it to the judges and learn to accept their desicions, they are there for everyones benefit and if your bot keeps getting stuck then maybe its your own fault anyway and dont deserve a second chance.

And people should also learn not to badger the judges b4 the decisions are made, they are their helping you so dont make it harder for them.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:36 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

No-one has mentioned having referees. Battlebots used to have both referees and judges. The refs would be responsible for what goes on during the fight like counting robots out. They where responsible for making sure robots arn't pinned by other robots by verbaly counting the time a robot has been pinned (30 seconds), warning the ofending robot and then disqualifying competitors. If a robot stops moving they would first ask the driver to demonstrate controled movement, determine if the robot has stoppped by a fault with the arena (traped under walls etc), order the match to be stopped to free robots or simply count them out.
The judges would only be used if the fight whent for the full 3 minutes.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

PERFECT .....and im sure the ref wouldnt make a bias decision for his advantage in later battles would they now Wink Very Happy

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:33 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Actualy a non comabt person to act as a ref might be a good idea .

My sugestion of unsticking the robots from the wall was only to stop a boreing match from happening in the first minute or so of a match the driver still has the option to tap out if he is stuck and looks like getting pulverised. We have been stuck a few times and havent asked to get unstuck but a ref could make that decision insted of the drivers epsecialy if two bots are stuck at either end of the arena because they decided to ram each other and missed ect .
(basicly its been a majority decision up to now ) so we could just leave it as it ihas if no one wants a ref.
also i dont recomend an unstick if the bot has been purposly stacked up the wall by the opponent this should only be used for acidental sticks

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:35 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

They could solve that problem buy making sure there is no gaps to get stuck under.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:38 pm