let them unstick them once
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

easier said then done,

then theres the problem of people say ramming into a wall and having the wedge fold under themselves like ballistic, or driving so fast they jam themselves on the wall or something like that.

a ref would be nice, but finding a non competing person that also knows most of the ropes about the rules and what not is going to be really hard.. at least at marayong.

if someone flips you or pushes you onto a wall so you get high centered well its at the discression of the other opponent in that case given it was his attack...

if you get yourself stuck well im on the side of getting them off as many times as needed. although i can see why some like the idea of 1 unstick and then your screwed, but none the less i keep my opinion.

(if this thread was for the qld peeps sorry for spaming it up lol)

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

The 'one-unstick' rule solves a simple problem.

Off track a bit but... does anyone else feel the fights at the HoC have been/are a little bit too gentlemanly?
I've seen fights where one bot is semi-stuck or upside down and the opponent bot helps to turn it's victim the right way up... you know what I'm on about..
Why not fight the 'tap-out or die' kind of fights?

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:05 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

yeah, i so shouldn't have freed el bravo from the floor... but we all know each other. That what makes it harder to "fight to kill".

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

The 'fight to kill' still allows for tap-out... I don't mean we should wreck each other every 6 weeks Shocked
The way I see it this is mechanical combat...an oil sport (blood sport for machines) ...even in a friendly atmosphere you can have tough fights.

BUT I'd be annoyed to 'gentlemanly' assist a helpless opponent.. only to lose the fight to them after the fact - or worse.. a judges decision.

Put in the position of being helpless (with an impending thrashing) and allowed to tap-out makes it an easy call AND the fight comes away with a clear winner. Smile

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:30 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I sorta fixed up the poll the old options came back but could everyone please post an option now anyway. This was meant for qld rules but everyone is invited to post.

I think it is a kill sport but when its just one persons flipped over after bout 10 sec its not really even a battle. but then again if your opponets dead and you got a spinning blade you don't realy want to totally annihalate $100's of equipment.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:40 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yes, Prancing Queen was very close to getting a gutting at HOC from Vertical Limits, luckily, Andrew is a gentlemen and stopped the driver from gutting it.

I believe in the gentlemens agreements to back off when immobilised, but I don't see the point of helping your opponent win because they got themselves in a bad situation.

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:38 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
I believe in the gentlemens agreements to back off when immobilised, but I don't see the point of helping your opponent win because they got themselves in a bad situation.

Aaron, who was driving Cheese Shredder and offered to allow Marauder to be reset and restart the fight?

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:06 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

yes i dont like the idea of totaly wrecking another robot if it is on its side or stuck to the point it cant move .. i have been a softy at times and helped the other bots back on to their wheels and have told the boys to do so as well ..but have some times paid for it by looseing the battle becuase the the other bot looked pretty or some thing ..i still wont he mashing up an imobilesd bot but if they get imobilsed they can stay thay way Very Happy

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:27 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

quote:

i have been a softy at times and helped the other bots back on to their wheels and ...but have some times paid for it by looseing the battle ...i still wont he mashing up an imobilesd bot but if they get imobilsed they can stay thay way

That's exactly what I'm on about. The opponent's bot is helpless, your bot is in control the outcome. If your opponent won't declare themself loser (and tap-out) then thrash on -or wait for the time and go to a judges decision Laughing

BACK TO TOPIC - The tap out would also apply to getting stuck. I still like the 'one-unstick' idea.

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:47 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Aaron, who was driving Cheese Shredder and offered to allow Marauder to be reset and restart the fight?

Sometimes pride comes before winning. I wanted to have a decent battle with you to prove that I could win the title with Cheeze Shredder. Not becuase your battery wire came off Cool

That was back then too, I'm not so nice these days Twisted Evil

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:46 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I know I've already said it, but I really think you need to take into account whether the "stick" was caused by the opponent or not..

If "1 Free Unstick" was allowed in the US BattleBots competition, what chance do you think "BioHazard" (The US Champion bot many of years) would have had of maintaining his title ?

His specialty was to stack opponents against the wall and prop them in such a way that they couldnt move - he didnt do any damage to them at all. What chance would he have had if everytime he "stacked" someone, they got a second chance given to them by the judges ?

If a spinner hits me and belts one of my wheels off, should I get a second chance to reattach it and fight again ? Obviously not, because it is opponent-caused damage.

If a flipper inverts me and I cannot drive, should I be allowed one free self-right ?

Likewise if An opponenent manages to stick you into the wall, you do not have the right to expect to be un-stuck. They may decide to do so in the interest of having an exciting fight, but that should be up to them, and they cannot then complain if they subsequently lose the fight after freeing you.

The object of the game is basically to render your opponents robot helpless, not smash them into little pieces, so this is a perfectly valid strategy. Why penalise those who choose this method of fighting ?

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

and yes that to me is spot on .exactly what i meant in the earlier post .....you build to weight ,design and everyone should build with the facilities available to them in mind
,so if your arena has a gap under it as ours did ,then drive better or design a way of combatting it .....if you have a spinning bar and it hits the wall and jams into it then to bad ,you have not considered the facilities available to you ...if your flipper goes up and the arena wall is just the right hieght to get caught on it then tough ,you havent built to the facilities available to you,and if your thwack bot spins and it jams into the arena wall ,you hvae not built to whats available .......
sorry and atrax dragged there arses around on the new steel arena in round 1 and i payed the price it slowed them down and sucked more battery power ,so i raised the ground clearance to compensate ,therefore building to the faciliteis available to me Very Happy

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:34 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well i agree technically they should be left there.

I reckon a ref should be allocated and then only with the mobile opponents consent should be unstuck.

The Judges should consider these guide lines.

- This may be used as a tactic by the opponent. esp. if they do not have an active weapon eg brick bot or wedge.
- The length of the fight which has taken part. Eg if stuck in first 10 sec may have more merrit to be separated than if there is less than one minute left.
- Was the opponet fully functional when they ran into the wall

I dunno depends what everyone thinks

also one more question should we go to a judges descision if an opponent is stuck under the wall or should that be counted as a KO?

If its a KO this could be a bit of a problem if a robot who has caused a lot of damage throughout the fight and should clearly win gets stuck in the last minute.

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:03 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The time that hs elapsed in the fight is totally irrelevant unless you are aiming to be crowd-pleasers rather than serious competitors..

Many a fight has turned in the last 30 seconds.. how or why it turns doesnt matter.. if in a boxing match someone gets the crap punched out of them for 5 rounds, then scores a knockout punch, its still a knockout.

As usual, the question is "do we want to please the crowd with closely contested matches, or please the competitors with fair fights ?"

Myself I lean towards to the competitors, trying to please the crowd as well, but not to the point of seriously compromising the integrity of a fight.

a KO/Immobilise/Stuck is still a KO whether it happens in the first 10 seconds or the last minute.

The only exception is where there isnt enough time left in the match to give the "supposedly" KO'ed opponent enough time for a fair count-out, in which case it should go to the judges. a KO with 8 seconds left is a judges call.

disclaimer: As usual, its only my opinion, others are welcome to run their shows their way..

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:09 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Hmmm well i dunno maybe just we just say everyone is left which but when you drive your bot under a peice of the arena its not exactly the way you want to lose. Ideally i would like to fix the arena and make it so its not possible to get stuck underneath but at the moment i can't.

It should be the end but as it should not happen do we want this to be a rule till the arena is done

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:00 pm