www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

K.B. AKA KaMaKaZe-bot:Team Dyrodium:NSW
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

K.B. AKA KaMaKaZe-bot:Team Dyrodium:NSW

Ok, due to the amout of work needed to complete Roadkill, i'll be building a nother bot out of cataclysm's remails for a simple bot, so i can still compete untill it's finished.
REAL simple design:
Drive:2 x Rear driven drills (at the back)

Amour:lol, ali frame, then polycarb over that, then thick mdf over that (composite amour!)

Weapon: Probably just a wedge, but i'll see if i can make a flail with the huge fan motor nick gave me. I'll also be reusing the steel wedges from catacylsm (but NOT for wedges Twisted Evil )

This design is basicaly to see if i can make a bot that can ride up a wedge whilst still maintaining traction, which most bots lose when wedged.

Will get cracking on it tonight. Smile

BTW, it will have an mdf top and base. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed May 04, 2005 10:45 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ok, i've got all the parts ready for this bot, but could someone help me with flails? I've got a very large fan motor with 3 drilled holes in the plate that used to hold the fan, could i just attach the chains to that?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue May 10, 2005 10:55 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Finished the main frame for this bot (all wood) and am going to start the rest, my secret amour (can't tell!) should help protect the wooden frame, and i got HEAPS of stuff at next to nothing from my local Hardware store, which, unfortunatly, is closing down. (but you can't beat 60% off everything)! Smile
Also, i was wondering if those huge fan motors (scrap, kang) can spin steel bars at 24v. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue May 17, 2005 6:25 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Also, i was wondering if those huge fan motors (scrap, kang) can spin steel bars at 24v.

Only if your not mounting directly to the motor. If you are expect the motor to kill itself quickly, like the original Catalyst.

ffej.net

Post Tue May 17, 2005 7:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

yes what was that 3 hits and no more weopon XD [/stupid jokeabout direct drive weopons]

Post Wed May 18, 2005 2:47 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Can you use large, thin grinding disks for testing safly? (ie, no combat or big impacts? Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu May 19, 2005 11:21 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the problem is when you hit something the load is put through th motor
the motors arent designed for that
and hence die
allot

Post Thu May 19, 2005 12:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Or to get technical, if the motor shaft doesn't bend like a pretzel first, the bearings will fall apart! Take it from somebody who broke 4 motors in one event, belt drive like Orbit or Catalyst is the way to do it.

Post Thu May 19, 2005 12:28 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

In case belt drive seems a bit difficult, Orbit's weapon system cost less than $50 (except for one expensive and optional part I already had). I could sell you some of the excess material I have, including the bearings, axle and some pulleys that might be useful. The belts can be bought from many places for around the $10 mark, depending on length.

The only hard part will be fixing a pulley to the motor. probably the easiest way is to use a fan motor that has a flat mounting disk already on the shaft and bolt the pulley to that.

Post Thu May 19, 2005 1:08 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I could do that... But i'll do that for my next one, this bot is just for basicaly one or 2 events, while i work on roadkill, and I may end up using a pully system for the drum on it. I'll post some pics of this woodycrapbot soon.
But also, if it's so bad to direct drive a sawblade from a fan motor, why did andrew do it, glen's doing it and plenty of other bots are doing it.
Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu May 19, 2005 4:54 pm 
andrew

direst driving a saw blade is not too bad as well its a saw and either keeps chewing or saws away until its stopped, If theres a good side impact like a hit from jolt then its all ruined but it is direst driving a kinetic weopon like a bar or disc or something that takes/and gives out sever hits. The motors insides cant take the sudden forces and fall apart.

Post Thu May 19, 2005 5:15 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Why's it so bad ?

Try running as fast as you can go head on into a brick wall and find out what "Deceleration Trauma" is all about.. Laughing

Speed doesnt hurt at all - Its the sudden stop that hurts. Motors dont like it either.. as Nick said, bearings, brushes, armatures and all the relatively delicate insides will collapse under the shock..

Saw blades arent so bad, since they dont suddenly crash to a halt (unlike a spinning bar), but you're still asking the motors smallish bearings and small diamter shafts to handle all the side-loads when you belt the saw into another robot or the wall..

People do directly drive some weapons, but usually not for long.. Wink

(edit) oops andrew beat me to it and said pretty much the same thing Embarassed. Oh well, that'll teach me to stop writing a message in the middle to answer a phone call..

Post Thu May 19, 2005 5:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

those flat flat motors like in plan b arent too good for saws because as soon as the shaft bends a bit itll smear the tracks on the motor and its dead simple as that.

on the bigger motors like we have at least they have standard armatures so they can probably take a lot more abuse. the bearings are also fairly decent in these things so a saw blade shouldnt pose a problem. after all experience is the key and i never saw scraps weapon system break, even after some pretty meaty hits on minotaur and me trying to bust it at marayong 6.

also the big flat plate motors, theres a small distance between the plate and the top of the motor casing, so even if it does bend itll probably rub on their and stop, sort of like a hideously ghetto thrust bearing

Post Thu May 19, 2005 9:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ok, this is really for glen, or people who run they're feathers of drill nicads and have a fan motor working at 24v:
Can i use one 12v drill pack for the drive, and 2 for the weapon? will that battery last long enough for a match? Smile
Thanks
BTW, they're XU1 drill batta Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Fri May 27, 2005 1:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Can i use one 12v drill pack for the drive

2 minimum

quote:
and 2 for the weapon

ill let you know lol, leaning towards just on 3 minutes on that one

Post Fri May 27, 2005 6:15 pm