www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

The Next Project - NMO - Vic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

The Next Project - NMO - Vic

OK after drawing 2 drum bot's in the one event. and my frame getting bent VERY badly it is time to ask everyone what they think. I have the following idea's.

Plastic tupperware container with fibre glass over the top, then a very thin layer of stainless steel.

Aluminium frame with a layer of chopping board or udmp (cell bent idea)

mild steel angel frame with some chopping board.

for people who don't know the next project has the following specs.

2 4AH SLA's 3.4KG total
2 scooter motor assemblies from oatley electronics
1 manga aicronditioning fan motor with 184cm blade. (magna motor way's 900 grams)
IBC
4ch 36meg FUTABA radio

as you can see the frame needs to be lighter than ever and we don't have the funds to buy a triton so have to stay with SLA's

Post Sun May 08, 2005 9:06 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

the current frame was made from very pliable steel framing that is used to make shelves. that you can bolt togeather. BIG MISTAKE me thinks.

Post Sun May 08, 2005 10:41 am 
the moth
Experienced Roboteer

I think you need to keep the length of your forward struts as short as possible and brace them better. The length of your bot overall puts all the leverage strain on your front struts when you get hit from a drum . I will help you if you wish (only if you promise not to cut my wheels up- ha)

Post Sun May 08, 2005 10:52 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

that is a very valid point. do you think the frame of the main bot is strong enough (if I weld up the rest of it)?

thank's for the offer of help i might take you up on that, i'll see how i go.

Post Sun May 08, 2005 11:03 am 
the moth
Experienced Roboteer

Looking at Bretts pic of TNP you could probably do with reorganising the interior to reduce your damage a bit . Whats the weight of your sla's as I just brought some new "doss" 7ah sla's and they weigh 1.9kg each - The 2.3ah sla's I was using weighed 1kg each and I used two for a total of 2kg so Ive saved weight and got more power ?. Bring it around and we'll work something out .Im based in Cranbourne and you can phone me on 0402 664 345

Post Mon May 09, 2005 7:17 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey guys,

just looking at the robot i think the trusty table frame material must go, some 15x15 steel box section you can get at bunnings would serve you well. im assuming you could stick weld it all up. just try to make little triangular pieces everywhere and lots of little supports out of spare box section.

btw im glad to see you got away from those drills :p it was killing me seeing all that magic smoke hehe

Post Mon May 09, 2005 7:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

well I went shopping and purchased some box steel for a new weapon motor mount and some chopping board for some side armour.

I've also started welding up the main frame to make it stronger. main frame is now around 50% complete.

I also purchased a new blade for it. It still amazes me the amount of damage done to the blade by the drum.

Post Thu May 12, 2005 3:52 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I.G. can second that. "roll:

Reboot destroyed my nice "Cheese Slicer" blade very well, forcing me to resort to backup blades for the remainder of the event..

Post Fri May 13, 2005 12:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Well the next project is back togeather, all welded, with chopping board armor and a redeisgned weapon mount. the mount is now much closer to the bot hopfully this will improve the shock absorbsion of the bot against drum bot's. Thank's to all for there advise.

Post Sun May 15, 2005 5:50 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Well I was very happy with the way that TNP preformed on the weekend, with only a few minor changes in mind. Cut down bolt's that hang outside the robot. and add a little more reinforcing to the weapon motor mount.

Also the use of loctite will be needed on the screw's that hold the blade in place as they came loose by the end of each round.

Formido also preformed well, we just need to finish welding the frame up and slightly modify the motor mount as the motor and wheel's did come off during a fight (still drivable)

Post Mon May 23, 2005 5:50 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I would like to say that now I've seen Brett's video's from a few weeks ago I'm am very impressed with your robots. I swear you were winning both the fights I saw. How did you go last weekend?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon May 23, 2005 9:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Hell Razer and Formido was a fun fight i swere i dont know how they kept missing my antenna when they were bye what i could see touching it with the blade a number iof times when riding on my back Laughing

Formido did take some chunks out of my wheels Confused

The fight with Formido and TNP was pretty cool with the head on saw clashes.
A few sparks and i got hit bye shrapnel that came threw the gap in the side of the lexan Laughing

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:10 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

We'll after the fights this weekend, a few things have become aparent.

-1- Magna motors don't like the shock of saws being ramed into things when the saw is attached directly to the motor

-2- Circular saw blades get really chewed up by drum bot's and arn't very effective at delivering damage to the current victorian bot's,

-3- I must mount the power switch in a place that cannot be found by pesky little robots.

So consiquently I figure I have 2 choices.

-1- a Spinning bar of some type

-2- a drum bot

I played around with a spinning bar tonight seams to work OK

Details as follows

MAGNA aircon motor with red bunnings wheel attached to top with tyre removed.

another red bunnings wheel placed at the end of the frame with a 30m bar on it.

belt's in between.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET BELTS FROM CHEAP? I tried rubber bands for the test. and the weapon seams to work OK but of course the band's broke.

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:21 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

automotive fan belts, the one i have is really long as it goes around about 4 pulleys in the car but im sure some types go around only 1 pulley and would be shorter.

and yeah those magna motors dont take slammings good, if you take it apart youll probably find the flat plate tracks have been "smeared" by rubbing on the magnets. if you want the easy way out try this motor:

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=591

they dont have that spinning plate and therefore dont have the problems like the magna ones. plus they are battle tested in scrap too so they seem to work.

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:30 pm 
andrew

oh yes those little beuties. A terrific discovery they were i must say.

In scrap and first version of Orbit (vert saw blade version) I had a dewalt saw blade directly mounted to it via the three small screws that hold fan part to the motor and at 24 volts it was just plain nasty as hell.

I was able to cut through 5mm ali corner on nicks thwackbot design he had ages back and the saw blade very rarely slowed down much and stalled maybetwice.

Plus from the steel and lexan etc of all types ive tackled with the saw i only broke one motor and that was a lucky hit by ahnialation i believe on the motor which messed up something internally and locked it up.

Also the saw blade was not mounted the best as it was off centre and looked a lil gross as it wobled side to side alot.

Gona reuse it when i build another featherweight as part of its interchangable weoponry system as a vert blade with wedge, think orbit but wedge and saw blade poking up through middle of it Smile.

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:27 pm