Robot Stats

Team name: Team Vertex

Robot name : Sproing

Team location: Kilkivan QLD

Robot weight(Class): Fether weight

Type of Robot: Grab -Lifter

Drive system :Xu1 drills with modified gearboxes

Type/size of wheels:Red Wheels

Wheapon/s drive system:Window winder motor on grab arm and 300 psi compresor motor on lifter.

Speed/motor control :IBC controler +home made two direction servo board -relay controler for second wheapon motor .

Power: 2x2.3 amp sla's

Armour:3mm steel and 1.5 mm stainles steel plus 3mm spring steel rods + trampoline springs

Length Width Height about 600 mm -500 mm x400 mm

Type of radio controler: 4 chanel Skyport

Radio frequancy:36..?mgz

General coments : Fairly fast -takes some learning to control.

Unuasual charatistics:

This robot is deshinghed to quickly grab another robot then lift it completly off the ground and carry it around to hopefully stack it against a wall.
As the other bot is lifted its weight is also shifted via slides over the front drive wheels to retain driveing ballance and control.
The outer armour is made from spring steel rods. The bottom row around the robot are hinged and float on the ground as seperate mini wedges .The next layer are wound in a single coil near the robot then stick straight out to hold spiners away from the thinner iner armour.
The grab arm is conected to the motor via a flat strip coiled spring that winds up after contact and keeps tension on the other bot and is also made from spring steel .
The lifter arm is made from torsion rods surounded by trampoline springs and the lifter forks are made from flat spring steel.

No, of Fights:

Wins :

Losses:

Link to picture in photo albulm:

Post Thu May 19, 2005 4:10 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I have the lifter and grabber working again --hopefuly so we will see how it goes tommorow in Brissy .My armour worked good at the last event keeping vertical limits at arms length although a couple of bits broke of at the weld points there was still enough to keep him at bay ..

Post Fri May 20, 2005 10:02 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I still had some problems with the grab arm , the gear i made is getting jambed on the worm i took too much metal of when i was adjusting the teeth.
I might also have to suport the other end of the worm shaft as its climbing up the teeth and bending slightly and jambing its self against the upper part of the houseing its ok on 12 volts as it just stalls but then its too slow and doesnt tension the hold on spring enough .

I also need to strenghten my front lift forks as they keep geting bent slightly down and then scrape on the ground makeing the drive wheels slip .Apart from that it went well the modified gear box is still going ok.

Post Sun May 22, 2005 9:18 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I Am still haveing a lot of problems with this robot since i burnt out the origional lifter motor. The ones i have replaced it with draw far too much curent and are too fast for the gearing but not strong enough on 12 volts when i go to 24 volts i am getting problems with relays sticking and stuff. I am now looing at changeing back to 12 volts and use a drill motor with a single stage reduction in front of the worm box hopefully this will give me the torque and slower lift speed i require .
It will also make driveing a lot easier as the robot is just too twitchy on 24 volts .

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:30 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Well ive put a silgle stage drill onthe lifter now it works ok but a lot slower than the origional .. the only prob i have is that the shaft some how went in slightly off center and it wobbles around a bit so far its not a problem but i can se it shakeing the motor lose at some point in time so itmight have to be rebuit again .the grab is working but its not as god as the one i had with the worm gear i had to use a spring to hold some tension on the grab arm as the drill motor doesnt hold it down ..the worm used to hold it extremly tight .

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:31 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Ive rebuily my grab arm useing a threaded rod as an actuator it works good in holding but is extremely slow compared to the old worm gear set up but its all i could come up with at the moment .Sproing is ready to go this weekend .

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:15 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Sproing went beter than expected at the last event . My main problem was my wedge spikes constantly getting caught uner the timber surounds of the arena i ended up haveing to bend them all up of the ground so they couldnt get under the walls .. this was efective in the last battle and it made the armour even more spinner proof as the the wedge spikes are a lot longer than the upper set so it kept the other robot at a 300 mm distance from the inner shell Very Happy the battle the next day at home against vertical limits ended up in the grab arm geting damaged but it still won Very Happy the nut on the threaded rod actuator broke free from its tack weld lol its been rewelded up properly this morning .all in all this litle robot is starting to get reliable and best of all very controlable as i can now get it prety well where i want it to go when i want it there

Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:58 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Sproing went beter than expected at the last event = Sproing won the event.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:57 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I believe Andrew was surprised because after rebuilding his lifter unit for the 5th time, it was really slow compared to the previous versions and he had lost his super snappy clamp and lift action.

But his driving skills have made up for the time gap. He practises on Vertical Limits nearly everyday, so I don't see VL winning another match against Sproing again unless because of someting drastic!

It looks like David is the new designated driver of Vertical Limits, so we'll all have to be prepared for his unpredicatable driving styles Razz

Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:37 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Yes im trying to get 100 hours or more testing on the gear box mods to se how they handle it then i wil pull them down and inspect them for wear ect

Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:14 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I would like some more info on your home made-linear actuetor. Do you have any pictures of how it went together? I should have taken a better look at HoC.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:43 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

The actuator is just a length of tubeing with a nut to fit the drill thread welded on one end and another nut to fit threaded rod on the other end .then a length of threaded rod with another nut welded side ways on the end of it for a pivot on the grab arm .The drill is clamped to a small piece of box section which has a hole in the center that a bolt that was welded on to the chasis goes through as the motor pivot point .

Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:48 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I Havent done any thing to our robots since the last events so last night i had a play with sproing as i was still unhappy about the grabber speed .I tried useing a single stage in the dril gear box it was fast but dint have enough torque and kept jambing in the up position.i then put the second stage back in and put a 7.2 volt johnson Motor on the gear box instead of the 12 volt xu1 ..its going about 1/3 faster than it was before and has heaps of holding torque and doesnt get stuck now .so im a lot hapier with it now . It means i wont have to use as much skill keeping in the right place to grab the other bot while waiting for the grab arm to come down .

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:17 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Going to try to beat David & Vertical Limits in under 20seconds this time? Wink

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:55 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Aaron and i have built a controler for my lifter we had a few teething probs with the board as i only used a crappy doghnut board that the components didnt seem to fit through so we had to ream out the holes and most of the doughnut things just stuck to the soldering iron as soon as it touched them so i ended up haveing to bridge all the compontents individualy with small bits of wire and was a painfully slow job .
We built it a couple of weeks ago but i have only just finished it off to put in the bot. We gave it a test with the progrmed chip and had a few probs but they seem to be sorted out on Aaron is still working on the fail safe code as we encountered a glitch with it. At the moment i only have fail safeing for loss of signal. I tested it in the robot tonight and after a little more debugging it is working .
With my previous hacked servo -drill fet- relay board i had to rely on limit switches to stop the lifter at each end of travel and i couldnt stop the lifter half way ect .Now i can lift it to any position and stop it where i want it so hopefully it will now give me a lot more control over this robot . Very Happy

Post Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:12 am