www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

weight probs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well last time i had a look it was because the US has an imperial system and us a metric system... and they dont convert perfectly into each other

besides were commited to 12kg now, and we have no plans changing it. after all try weighing 13.6kg on your bathroom scales Wink

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

what about rounding it off like 13.6 to 13.5 6.8 to 6.5 and 27.2 to 27 you cant round it up cos itle be overweight so round it down to the nearest 5 or if under 5 to 0 you cant tell me that you couldent use that extra weight for armor or something

If robots from overseas started comeing over to aus to compete in robowars
they would have that extra weight advantage

But hey its just a sugestion im not fussed Very Happy

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:46 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

As I recall the reason Robowars settled on 12 kg was that we had already adopted the Rex’s robot challenge rules see Real Robots issue 1.Rex’s rule number 4 “The total weight must not exceed 12kg”.

When it became obvious that builders weren’t exactly rushing the Rex class we decided to try and encourage the hobby and feather classes as an entry level event.
The 12kg limit was carried over from the rex class.

We had ideas of heavyweights in those days.

A lot of other people have spontaneously, independently come to the same conclusion that the feathers are where the action is.

The 30 lb vs. 12 kg question?

-We can go to pome land as long as we take our removable links Smile
-If you won’t to go to the US of A you can put on some more armour.
Probably not a bad idea. Smile

-If the yanks won’t to fight here or Pom land they have to slim down.

I don’t have any strong preference as far as where we draw the line but I think it is one of the few rules we should agree on if we won’t a situation where we can have a fair fight.

12kg exactly rex rules probably never happened anywhere Karmen might know

12.2kg English feather weight

12.5kg half the weight of a lightweight makes some sort of sense to me.

12.9kg getting closer to 30 lb and those suppositious people that make it necessary for buildings to not have a 13th flour dont have to have their lucky rabbit’s foot and right coloured socks to compete.

13.6kg Confused In other words adopting the American system? Ok with me I pre date decimal currency etc. Smile

As we look like we are on the way to a lightweight class comp I don’t see the need to push the weight limit too high
Having a situation where two legal fathers cannot legally fight as a cluster in lightweight doesn’t make a lot of sense to me and if you have 25 kg to play with I really don’t think anyone has any real excuse to ask for or expect a grace allowance over that.
If you go all the way with the Imperial weights that’s not a problem.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:31 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Rotwang:

12.2kg English feather weight

12 kg is the upper limit for feathers in the UK and Europe. http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/documents/buildrules.pdf

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:21 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

yes, so say the rules, but I've heard rmours that they allow 1-2% (pretty small) to allow for variance in peoples scales. If thats correct, then you can read 12.24Kg (by their scales), and still claim that it read 12.00 on your own scales.

can anyone confirm or deny this ?

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
3Faze

Yes and no.

In the early days, Robot Wars were slack with weight limits, but they got tighter over the years (though some teams do cheat like hell <cough> would we?).

Live events are a different thing. I've seen 18kg featherweights in the Roaming Robots arena in friendly fights, mainly as SLA's have been retrofitted to make a bot work. Other events are tighter (normally when it's a "proper" competition). I've been to live events where no variance was allowed.

Generally, it's a matter of discretion of the event organiser, and those getting in the arena with it.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:13 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Im pretty sure i have herd about a % you are allowed over the weght limit but i dont know the number

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:22 pm