www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> The Marketplace

thought PCM was good ? now there's SS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I can't find it saying that anywhere, my bet is it says "interferrence will be a thing of the past"...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:46 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

If you are refering to this :

"You'll say goodbye to channel concerns at RC sites. Glitching and range impairment from motor, servo, ESC and mechanical RF "noise" will be a thing of the past."

There just talking about how problems with RF noise will be a thing of the past . . . you will always need an ESC or some other mechanism to convert the reciever output into something that will control the motors . . . It may one day be integrated into the recevier, but you will still need it.

ffej.net

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

SS dosent magically "fix" inteference, especially the kind we are dealing with.
we get "wideband" noise from brushes etc making spark gap generators.
spread spectrum basically hops the frequency around that its using and does some funky maths to encode the data with error correction (optionally) so it can reduce the effect of a collision (2 radios using the same bit of radio spectrum at the same time) its like having a better sive, less crud gets through, but when you hit it with a firehose well your hosed.

a Digital link however lets you get rather more funky on the problem of lost signal specifically the covering it up part. What it comes down to is knowing whats static and whats a valid signal, with a digital transmission you can do a checksum on your data that means basically you only see the valid signals and all the invalid ones are dropped. to put it in perspective currently (with an IBC) if you recieve one invalid pulse from the radio (ie a teensy bit of static) the radio shuts down untill it gets 7 valid pulses (perhaps a bit strict but eh) because unless it gets a few good signals it wont know if its just recieving static that looks right.
with a digital static that "looks right" will occour roughly once every billion years or so.

EG
I'm programming our new 900Mhz setup to basically fake its last known good signal for half a second then to ramp its controll inputs back to 0 over the next half signal.
What this means is that our bot will be able to be controlled with ~2 packets a second (minimum drivablle is 4 we think and 10 is minimum for standard opperation, so i'm going to probbly send ~400/second) net result is operable signal
digital works with 2/400*100=5% signal
analouge system 1-(1/7) = 85% (at that point the bot will start glitching not actually driving i think you need more like 95% for a decent drive (now with added motor frying ;-> (note if you have poor signal turn breaking off, it'll take some of the load off when your IBC failsafes and your motors start dumping load back through the IBC and stopping then loading it all up again when it starts driving, worst case you can be doing this ~6 times a second thats 187 times in 30 seconds of poor signal)))

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

@Jake: I've written something similar with my PicAXE controller code. Basically mine is based on a plus/minus counting system.

quote:

;-------------------------------------------------------------;
accept:
srt = srt + 1
fail = fail - 1
if srt <= 3 then main
if srt = 4 then main2
goto main
deny:
fail = fail + 1
srt = srt - 1
if fail <= 3 then main
if fail = 4 then stp
goto main

Basically it requires 4 good pulses to start and 4 bad pulses to stop. The idea being that it will take at least 80ms to activate any of the controllers functions. If it picks up any bad signals, it will minus a point from the good pulse count. eg: If it recieved 3 good signals, then recieves 1 bad signal, the good signal count is shifted back to 2 and the bad signal count is shifted to 1. If it picks up another good signal, it will minus one from the bad pulses and add one to the good pulses.

This allows the controller to function moderately safe, it will ignore the odd bit of interferrence here and there, but remembers it(By counting it). If the bad pulses reach the failsafe level, it shuts down (Takes 80ms to do so, which remains pretty safe for drive motors). The main reason I wrote this into the code was to stop the on/off shuttering we get from the IBC's failsafing at times can be very tough on motors, drives and batteries. This prevents the possible damage, while making the controller still relatively safe(80ms is only going to let a 12v 550rpm drill motor do 0.75 of a revolution at most)

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:00 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

we had thaught about making a simmilar IBC desensitiser, but eh new radio is cooler and i had to learn how to do stuff anyway.
Glad i am just putting out servo pulses not reading them (while attempting other stuff, you need an absolutly daft interrupt rate lol. to get 256 bits resolution you need to interrupt at like 3333333HZ, our system will be able to put any pulse width out you want up to 3mS so you can get the full range of travel out of your servo. All controll stuff is done in the laptop so you can have whatever weirdass controll scheme you want, i am thinking a 5 point polynomial for "rate" controll ;->)

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Some Spektrum pics . . . . pretty dodgey because the cam on my phone hates low light, but meh, you get the idea. Great value I think, for $199US you get a 6 channel stick TX with nicads (in mode 2, doh), a micro reciever and 4x 8g servos. A word of warning, the charger that comes with it for the TX is 120V, so you'll have to either use a step down, or just cut the plug off and charge it on your peak detecting charger, which is easy cause they dont have any diodes inline( like most do, which means you have to get rid of the diode before your charger knows its there)

http://www.botclips.net/spektrum

ffej.net

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

What website did you buy yours from jeff?

Me glen george and aparently someone els cant remember if it was aaron or andrew are interested in maby doing a bulk buy to get em a bit cheaper as we all want one.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:13 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yeah, my name is down for a DX6

EDIT: With the amount of people buying Spektrum radios, we could start an antweight class with all these 8g servos Laughing

@Jeff: Mod 2 configuration is when the throttle(ratchet) stick is on the left side of the controller right? If so, w00t for me!

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:22 pm 
andrew

if yall r doing a bulk order i may be interested

i like it as its crystal less recievers r tiny and cheaper than most others and like no aerials

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:27 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Aaron 1 Glen 1 Me 1 makes 3 and waiting to see who els and also if george is defanetly in.

Last edited by timmeh on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:28 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Aaron 2

I only want ONE Spektrum Tim, I can't afford two Razz Well not yet...

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:31 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Lol sorry dont know where i got 2 from XD

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:33 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Have found a store online that will import to Aus, prob not the same as Jeffs.
An extra reciever from them is $54.95 US.
Jeff mentioned about 40 bucks from where he got his from so might have to see where he bought it from to compare receivers costs.
Guess am keen to get a second receiver as well since they are fairly cheap.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:42 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

I was readying some information about the DX6, one possible issue I noticed was that it may effectively disable the Failsafe in your speed controller.

The failsafe in the manual I was reading (I know Reading a manual what was I thinking) stated that upon failsafe condition it sent the throttle channel to a preset position and MAINTAINED the position of every other channel.

This would mean that if you had the radio in full forward position it would failsafe in a way that the robot would continue to move.

Jeff can you check this for us???

Before you guy's go ahead and order a bunch of them can you pls post the price you are getting them for? I might be interested if the budget allows

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The DX6 Spektrum is USD$200 which is $265 aussie. Add shipping and stuff to that and your looking at $280-300.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:10 pm