www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> The Marketplace

thought PCM was good ? now there's SS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

all the bots I've seen sitting there twitching in the arena have been IBC controlled Razz

I haven't seen any basic oldschool AM radio controlled stuff run away out of control due to radio problems.
Generally even if there is interference it's temporary.

At RoboWars III I had the most basic radio setup there, and it didn't have any issues. Lindsay runs some sort of ex-bin AM radio, and his only problem was caused by a nut falling off and jamming a switch on.

Either way, I really think that people need to focus a bit more on the overall design's safety aspects rather than radio failsafes, which only cover a very small part of the overall picture.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Whilst on the topic of safety IMO there is another area that should be addressed that I think is just as dangerous and that is there is no checking at all for robots running on the same frequencies.

IN the last 3 evenbts I have been to, on 2 occasions there have been robots with the same frequency crystals as myself. Having robots on the same frequency with others is a potential safety hazard maybe more than failsafes as something is likely to happen in the pits.

There is only one thing worse than losing control of your robot and that is having someone else control it by accident and not know it.

This used to be addressed but has somehow been put aside even though there have already been accidents in the pits because of this.
Just feel this is potentially dangerous left unchecked and accidents have already happened so what has to happen before its taken a bit more serious?

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:28 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yep, that's the sort of thing I'm on about.

It's much more likely to happen than runaway operation due to other interference, and won't be prevented by failsafes.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK, You want me to start impounding Transmitters then ?

In actual fact, we DO check for robots running on the same frequency. Confused

There is a frequency table here http://www.robowars.org/frequencies.html that competitors are supposed to mail me with updates to so other competitors can see what frequencies to avoid, AND there is a space on the entry form where you put your frequency in when you register.

I see Steve Martin from Queensland was on your frequency, but he then changed it to 36.310, which did not conflict with anyone else.

So if anyone was operating a radio that conflicted with you, it was being done without the EO's knowledge Rolling Eyes

I can get tougher on the enforcement of this sort of thing if you desire, but you wont like it.. I prefer to try and encourage builders to voluntarily do the right thing, not stand behind them with a spectrum analyser and a big stick. If you prefer Transmitter Impounds, and an increased entry-fee (to pay for the Radio Experts time to monitor the airwaves), let me know..

Alternatively, If you know of someone who was operating an unregistered transmitter on your frequency, please PM me who it was so I can check into the matter in a more friendly fashion.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mel
Site Admin

quote:
there is no checking at all for robots running on the same frequencies.

Not sure where your head was then Nexus - when the registrations were happening. The frequency your bot was operating on had to be listed in plain view of all the others. We have the registration paper - builders name/bot name/paid/frequency/photo - so there is NO dispute. There were only 2 bots found to be on the same freq - this was discussed with the two bots concerned and it was all sorted. You were one of those people. Evil or Very Mad

Your statement is insulting to say the least Nexus Twisted Evil l'd think twice before bagging others and making false claims again.

quote:
so what has to happen before its taken a bit more serious?

People such as yourself need to look at the list provided - as per instructed - and realise that it's in part their responsibility also! Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:26 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Mel I think you need to take a few deep breaths before posting! Shocked

George has a good point, same frequencies are an issue and potentially dangerous in the pits and can cause issues in matches. The way I read his post was that he had been to multiple events where robots have turned up with the same frequencies, so he is suggesting we need all need to be more active with pre-registering our frequencies so it is sorted before the event even starts.

While a large portion of that is managed by recording everyones frequencies there are still countless extra bots and radio controllers in there that are not registered robots and therefore do not have their frequencies recorded.

Currently the onus is on everyone to make sure that if they run any extra bot or controller the frequencies do not conflict with a registered bot, but I am sure that this does not always happen.

I think we need to all be more active in registering ALL potentional frequencies we might be using, and make sure they do not conflict with any other robot.

Also if for some reason a demo bot has the same frequency as a registered bot then care needs to be taken, it would be bad for an accident to happen in the pits or for someone to lose a fight due to radio issues from someones extra transmitter.

I think this would be a good time to collect a comprehensive and updated list of all frequencies used by us, not just combat robots.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:58 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

[quote="Team LeSheen"]

quote:

Your statement is insulting to say the least Nexus Twisted Evil l'd think twice before bagging others and making false claims again.

Was not trying to insult anyone Mel.
THis has happened before at a Victorian event and only became apparent immediatly before the fight. My whole point is it can go unnoticed very easy, nothing false about that.
Not bagging anyone, when it comes to safety issues yes, everyone should play a part in it. no need to take my comments personal.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:07 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Cant remember what event it was but everyone filled in a form with our channels and me and cheese wedge ended up with the same channel and we had both filled out forms with them on as far as i know.

We only descovered when i drove forward "i think it was aaron driving cheese wedge" his weapon turned on while he was working on his bot in the arena and when he tested his weapon hell razer drove forward.

I think at the weigh in before the match the two drivers compare crystalls simple as that.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:26 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

quote:
I think at the weigh in before the match the two drivers compare crystalls simple as that

Seems pretty easy to me eh. Which is why that was exactly what happened at the registration prior to the event. But some didnt bother to check that list - expected others to do it for them - and then whinged about it Rolling Eyes

Yeah well, you get that. There's always bloody one...

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:39 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

In the heat of the moment rushing to get your bot working with flat batterys and broken motors and things then rushing to get to the arena i can see why people would forget.

I dont think it would be too much to ask the judges to remind people before they go in hey what are your channels.

Btw were is the sheet usually kept for future reference?

I was under the impression that the comentator had the sheets so he could read out the bot names and descriptions and check frequencys before the fight.

Last edited by timmeh on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:45 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

ahhh George did you delete your comment about the PM or was it deleted for you? Confused

As has already been said it makes sense to have all frequencies used recorded way ahead of the event, that will help avoid any issues.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:54 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Anyway back onti the subject would there be anyway say the plan b\g guys would be able to hack the rx and make it so all the channels can failsafe?

They seem to be good with programming and hacking stuff.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:03 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Perhaps the judges could remind them of there own names and birthdates as well...and if a nappy might be in order also?

Where is the frequency sheet kept? same place it has always been since the beginning of this forum. Or you could read spockies last post. All frequencies that may be used are listed as they become declared - Always have been - but doesn't seem to help at all.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:06 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I meant at the advents as i know if brought a new set of crystalls on the day which wouldent be displayed on the frequencys page.

Keep an open mind there are other less seen reasons why people end up with the same frequency.

Can we forget all this and make the rule to save argument for all the stupid people who havent had there nap cos there been up for 4 days getting there bot ready and cant remember there name cos they been hit in the head bye a 2kg bar rotating at 3000rpm or so get weighed and check the frequencys before every match bye the judges.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:19 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

As cell damage says, it is easy for things to get mixed up right before an event or battle.

Before the next big event (brisbane) we should all register every frequency we use, in combat and demo bots.

I think a good start if or when you have a chance Brett would be to update the frequency list from Robowars onto that webpage.

Another problem I guess is frequencies being on there people do not use anymore, but if we do a total update before each national event we should avoid any issues.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:41 pm