www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

batteries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Author    Thread
assassin

What about these?

http://www.batterypower.com.au/products_batteries/nimh/nimh-rechargeable-sub-c-3000-hp.htm

What do you think?

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:19 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The price looks OK, until you add in the shipping, which adds another 33% Rolling Eyes

Specs look reasonable, but I see lots of different people are selling them an noone says anything about the brand, which makes me suspect theiy're no-name chinese batteries, and therefore suspect until proven otherwise - Specs are notoriously overblown in the Hobby/RC world.

Even at that, they reccomend a maximum of 9amps for the 3000mah cell, which is pretty low for Featherweight robot use.

It all depends on your application.. sayng "what do you think of these" tempts me to reply with something like "They're yellow"..

A better question would be something along the lines of "Would these be suit a 2wheel drive Featherweight XU1 Drill-powered robot at 12v ?" - learning how to ask the right question is the way to get a good answer.

On the whole, they dont look like a great bargain. If you want proven quality, go for Sanyo's or GP cells. If you're on a budget and your current (power) requirements are low, premade-hobby packs from Ebay would be the next step up from Drill Batteries.

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

K thanx. My application for the batteries is a few posts above... Also what do u think would be the max current and voltage the ibc could handle with this setup? Yellow batteries would fine Embarassed

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:04 pm 
assassin

Those batteries would not be suitable at all then for my scooter motors. I would like to build the pack so i can get it to fit in the bot. The currently available bats from ebay are the 3300 and they seem to be a little heavy. I contacted a master instruments suppler today and they were very expensive. Thoughts ideas? Thanx Smile

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:21 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

You might get away with cheap 1.2A batteries if your run scooter motors... to be honest you can get away with them with anybot without some sort of high drain spinning weapon, although retread uses just them, although its 4 packs worth! Smile Just get some cheap cells so you can build something that works, then worry about upgrades. Best way to get into something is to start doing it Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:29 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

just jam in a 7ah SLA, they have about the same foot print as a full C brick pack and last just as long. just shove in the proper packs when your ready to spend some money.

as the triangle goes good, cheap or small choose two.

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

Sweet, thanx. A have allready got some cheap nicads from drill packs and a charger coming in the mail. So i will relax for now. Cool

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:36 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by assassin:
what do u think would be the max current and voltage the ibc could handle with this setup?

There is no easy answer for that question I'm sorry. ESC's dont work like that. You cant say they will take 45amps, but blow up at 50. Its like asking "how far can you run ?".. It all depends on how fast, and how non-stop you try to do it without rests.

The IBC will handle *brief* surges of over 100 amps. But we're talking 1 or 2 second surges there. It will take 50amps of *averaged* power for 3 minutes if given sufficient cooling airflow.

It will drive 2 drill motors ~50% over-volted (9.6v to 12, 12v to 18v etc) in a sealed box for a featherweight easily, or a non-overvolted 4WD drill bot (provided you dont stall it too hard). Experience has shown it *wont* cope with a 4WD drill bot 100% overvolted (12v to 24v) for long.

Scooter Motors are a walk-in-the-park for it at 24v. It should drive them at 36v, but so far most people who have tried that have had back-EMF voltage-spike trouble - not overheating.

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:53 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Intellect 4200HC NiMH packs going on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Intellect-Highest-4200mAh-7-2V-Batteries-Pack-w-Tamiya_W0QQitemZ6037153455QQcategoryZ84443QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

out of pure curiosity (or something like that Very Happy ) what would happen if you dropped a battery into distilled water or just tap water.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:43 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I'm happy to find out glen, i even have a 1200mah cell to donate
Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol im gunna try it when i find out whether itll explode or not Smile

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:50 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Nothing happens, not enough electrolytic particals in tap water. I solder my brick packs with 80% of the NiCD cell submerged in water to prevent damaging the cell.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:58 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cool, that gives me quite a few ideas then Cool

do you reckon the same applies to motors? or would it just start oxidising the copper windings... but i reckon the heat from the motor would probably just evapourate it.

water cooled robots Shocked

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:03 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, heard of those rc boats, that some when they sink it shorts the electronics and the motors power them along like submarines? Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:10 pm