www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

ICE's at events (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yes, the guy i got it from gauranteed a piston melt down in 10 minutes but i figure thats a few events worth Razz

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I see no reason why you couldn't have a water cooling system, the rules basically say liquids aren't allowed to leave the bot. Re the NO2 that would probably be a no, they specifically say no "energetic oxidisers" otherwise I would enter a bot called tomahawk.

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
2) im sure the answer is in the rule set if i could be assed to look Razz is the fuel weight included in the total weight?

Well after all the arguments that CO2 for pneumatics must be included in the total weight I don't see that other consumables will be excluded.
The RFL rules (the basis of Robowars' rules) state that only enough fuel for 1 minute longer than the match time but no more than 20oz is allowed for ICE and flame throwers.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
2) im sure the answer is in the rule set if i could be assed to look Razz is the fuel weight included in the total weight?
I would not include fuel in the weight of a robot. I know that others might disagree, but I would weigh it with the fuel tank empty.

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'd class fuel as the same as the CO2 saga.

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

what better place to post in after a few (tens of) drinks hah.

some thoughts for rules and probably most exist already haha. Idea

1) Remote cut off on the ignition shut off (on most types of motors just needs to be a relay that shorts to ground so plenty easy to do)

2) spring return on the throttle (100% of carbs ive seen have this feature anyway in case the linkage breaks). i think a spring to bring the servo and all back to idle is a bit much though. your ignition cut off can solve that problem.

3) carburettor must not be a bowl type (dellorto etc) as they WILL spill out the inlet when inverted even if you have the overflow vents running off to a catch bottle. have to use a Walbro / Tilson type carb with a return line back to the fuel tank

4) have a fuel tap accesiible from outside the robot or without tools

5) no clear burning fuels like methanol. avgas should be okay, the stuff i have burns yellow.

6) 500ml is heaps of fuel. i havent seen any 50cc robot size motor use more than 100ml of fuel at wide open throttle for 3 minutes.

rant over Razz

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
what better place to post in after a few (tens of) drinks hah.

some thoughts for rules and probably most exist already haha. Idea

yes all of these are already covered in the latest RFL tech regs.

quote:
1) Remote cut off on the ignition shut off (on most types of motors just needs to be a relay that shorts to ground so plenty easy to do)

"9.6. All engines must have a method of remotely shutting off."

quote:
2) spring return on the throttle (100% of carbs ive seen have this feature anyway in case the linkage breaks). i think a spring to bring the servo and all back to idle is a bit much though. your ignition cut off can solve that problem.

"9.5. All engines must turn off or return to idle at loss of radio signal and turn off at loss of radio receiver power ."

quote:
3) carburettor must not be a bowl type (dellorto etc) as they WILL spill out the inlet when inverted even if you have the overflow vents running off to a catch bottle. have to use a Walbro / Tilson type carb with a return line back to the fuel tank

"9.7. Any robot with liquid fuel and oil must be designed not to leak when inverted. (Minor oil leakage may be tolerated, however if it affects the other robot or becomes a large cleanup issue you may be called and the leaking robot will forfeit.)"

I think this is better wording as it doesn't limit the builder to specific hardware.

quote:
4) have a fuel tap accesiible from outside the robot or without tools

This also comes under the remote shutoff section.

quote:
5) no clear burning fuels like methanol. avgas should be okay, the stuff i have burns yellow.

"9.1.1. All commercially available grades of automobile or RC hobby fuel are allowed. Alcohol, Nitro-methane, jet fuel and other specialty grades of fuel require prior approval."

quote:
6) 500ml is heaps of fuel. i havent seen any 50cc robot size motor use more than 100ml of fuel at wide open throttle for 3 minutes.

"9.2. Fuel tank volume, on any robot, shall not be greater than the amount required to operate the engine for more than 1 minute longer than the match time at combat power plus a reasonable pre-match warm-up period. Total fuel volume, including fuel for both ICE and flame weapons (if allowed) may not exceed 20 oz unless prior approval is granted from this event."

Other parts you forgot are:
"9.1.2. Fuel lines and tanks must be made of high quality materials and all ends must be clamped securely.
9.1.3. All fuel tanks and lines must be well protected and armored from all sides including moving parts and heat sources inside the robot."
"9.3. The output of any engines connected to weapons or drive systems must be coupled through a clutch which will decouple the motor when it is at idle. (This does not include motors used for generators and hydraulic pumps.)
9.4. Any engine connected to a weapon must be capable of being started while the weapon locking pin is in place (see 1.6.6)."

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

tawps. but..

quote:
All commercially available grades of automobile or RC hobby fuel are allowed

Confused RC car fuel burns clear. not good

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:26 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Please note the part where it says Alcohol fuels need to be pre-approved. Methanol in RC fuel is an alcohol.
Dyes can also be added to the fuel to allow them to burn with a coloured flame.
Only limited fuel is carried to prevent large fires.
Having personally witnessed several model aero engine fires (including aircraft I was holding during starting) I can say it is not hard to spot a methanol fire even in full sunlight.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:04 pm