funbotics - new class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Author    Thread
Damien (not Damian)

Hmmm...robotic fireball combat? That'd be pretty cool, actually. Smile

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hahah is there some flame retardant paint you can buy Laughing might be interesting to put out a fire with wood dust and splinters everywhere.

doesnt that stuff go up big time?

HMMM MDF warrior SKF? might fire up the old cad tonight Laughing

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

For safety i'd be against flame throwers and MDF, it's pretty toxic and that shed is just asking for a dust fireball. Laughing
Any chance we might be able to organise an mdf bot build day? I don't really have any method of quickly cutting mdf, my jigsaw can do 16mm but it's pretty rough. Smile Good idea to get together and she what the plan is too!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon May 11, 2009 5:49 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

A bandsaw would be the go for that stuff I would imagine. Perhaps a bunch of you could chip in and get one to keep at the shed for build days and quick event repairs ?

Post Mon May 11, 2009 6:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's a great idea! I happen to have a 16" bandsaw gathering dust in the workshop; if the club can buy a blade for it, I will lend it out for as long as needed. Its got a bunch of upgrade features and will do an excellent job with MDF. It could also be adapted to cut plastic and aluminium.

Looks like this:

Post Mon May 11, 2009 6:55 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Yes a bandsaw would be good.
Just get size and model number and ill get the blade
As for the weight its as nick said i said 20kg'/+ as an example for now and see how it pans out when we get a few built.
With all the compulsory weaponry there is no need to have overvolted super fast robots screaming around the arena,so the drives used on the featherweights is more than enough.I think that most compeditors use 18v motors and gearboxes and that is plenty for something weighing 18-19kg if volted at correct level.
As for weapons dont run them through the controllers just run them of simple switches if the class is going to be as destructive as hoped i recommend we keep it simple.
Oh and mdf and fire is 100% Stupid,the dust and shavings burns rapidly and with an enamel painted floor it is asking for trouble.
With the new floor being painted i think flame throwers are an issue in general it might be ok if the robot keeps moving but if it stops for some reason and the flame continues to burn we will have a few problems.

Post Tue May 12, 2009 6:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It is a Hafco BP-16. Its a good thing you can get one made - I lost the manual and don't know what the length should be.

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
. On the other hand, we are aiming for "spectacular" damage and saws don't really deliver. Two sawbots grinding away at each other doesn't sound exciting to me.

i dunno. i think saws are going to make some pretty spectaular dust spraying fun, and thats still something to judge damage by, number / depth of gouges, whatever, etc, rather than having to tear off whole panels. It's all good tho Smile

quote:
Originally posted by seanet1310:
punturer runs fine of a pair of 100w scooters and a scorpion XL but last i checked oatly dont sell the 100w scooter setup anymore anyway.
granted if you are talking scooter motors in the 200-300W range something more beafy then an xl may be needed.

+1 Slave also runs 100w scooters with a scorpion XL (currently). I did originally design it with an XXL tho. and yeah its annoying that oatley arent selling them, tho i have found similar motors on ebay

Post Tue May 12, 2009 11:21 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well got the robot designed so i can build it quick enough. just two 300w scooters 4wd and a HUGEEEEE spike. should be good for about 25mph or double cobras top speed.

question regarding the drive though. each wheel and sprocket and everything like that is basically going to hang off one half of the scooter motor mounting flange. so the entire drivetrain all bolts on where the motors bolt on (ill do a cad later) and itll be made out of steel. allowed? or do i somehow have to put everything in MDF bearing blocks and the like

did we still need active weaponry? might have to convert it into a drill a boring cutter or something Laughing

Post Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy Yes it must have an active weapon.

Post Sat May 16, 2009 8:04 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hmm, I'm not sure if the MDF class will fly yet.. (I think it will depend on how much effort builders spend trying to bend the spirit of rules and coming up with creative ways to keep the metal bits joined together without too much breakable wood in between Smile.

But ignoring that, I'm thinking it sounds like an ideal class for a Scoopy-Doo 2..
A nice big dustpan scoop with a carbide tipped overhead saw against MDF ... mmmm Twisted Evil

Post Sat May 16, 2009 12:51 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Its funny but i would like to think it would stay a bit of a fun type class and not get to over serious with to many rules.Im looking forward to seeing how far we can push the limits of plain old mdf.
I suppose after that we upgrade to all solid timber and even a hardwood class. Laughing

Post Sat May 16, 2009 4:00 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Actually I don't think there is a requirement for an active weapon, but it is strongly recommended. If you have sufficient drive power (IE a full arena ram has a decent chance of busting some MDF) then that prolly counts.

Post Sat May 16, 2009 6:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Russell

"question regarding the drive though. each wheel and sprocket and everything like that is basically going to hang off one half of the scooter motor mounting flange. so the entire drivetrain all bolts on where the motors bolt on (ill do a cad later) and itll be made out of steel. allowed? or do i somehow have to put everything in MDF bearing blocks and the like "

I believe if the drive train metal frame does not serve as a frame for the bot, I do not see any problem with it .As with drill motor drives it comes as a assembled unit, why not a home built one. This class of bot is to encourage design.
No bearings to be made from MDF ok..........................

If the bot has the power to break say a peace of 12mm MDF by ramming it that a active weapon to me.

Post Mon May 18, 2009 4:52 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Will my MDF bot be OK if it has the central drive train parts are mounted on 5mm aluminium sheet or channel ? The small wheels have very little clearance and even a thin MDF base plate would have them spinning in the air. The drivetrain assembly would be attached to MDF and not to other metal parts.

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:02 pm