RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Woodzilla - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

the old welder's getting a good workout these days Smile

Post Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

totally, i love it lol. its a shame it goes through the welding wire so fast Razz

Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

you might need to make an external mount for a massive reel Smile

Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol dont give me ideas Razz well it looks like woodzilla will have its batteries stolen for cobra and hopefully ill buy 5 replacements from aaron...

and im going to move the crusher motor back about 50mm or so now ive got the welder so the arm can open wider and the geometry will be FAR better.

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i thought i might as well get the crusher going so we can compact a few things tommorow Razz the old motor was making some screechy noises so i took it out and found the gear was slipping and the armature can slide back and forth far too much. not to mention the thing was half smoked anyway hehe so ive put in a brand new motor. works awesome! i wish i had scales too measure it with... Mad

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:52 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i took woodzilla to the last event and the gear is spinning on the motor again... i tried soldering one on before and it just flat out didnt work and the solder spilled into the teeth etc etc.. im very tempted to just hit the top of it with the welder on the lowest power for a split second, most tempted Razz

but now its batteries are in king cobra im trying to find 10 good nimh cells form one of kangs old packs, ive got 5 so there may be enough there heres hoping.

everything else seems to be in place too so i may very well wire up the controller on thursday and see if she works or not.. just need to find the damn transmitter heh

Post Mon May 08, 2006 10:24 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

problem is the gear is (probblay) brass and the shaft would be steel.

Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well my neighbour bought me his old dead 12v ryobi which turned out to have this nice little item in it.

its the same size as a drill motor but with a 2 speed gearbox.. the low ratio generates some massive torque so in to woodzilla it must go!!

Post Sun May 28, 2006 11:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i got round to taking that drill apart after drilling the screw out and removing the chuck by putting an allen key in it and belting it with a hammer. i thought i could replace the last stage for a simple setup into woodzilla but not the case it would seem.

heres a good run down as many people have 2 speed drills but have not seen the inner workings.

the drill with the chuck and clutch removed. as you can see plenty of resemblance to a normal drill. the D bit at the front and motor are exactly the same size so that would make for an easy transferel into an xu1 powered robot say

now the motor plate comes off. its made from thin steel it seems and screws in with 4 screws.

when the gearbox comes apart in two halves (they screw together with 4 screws) as such

you get the second, third and fourth stage in one section of the gearbox and the first in the other (plastic)

now the gearbox Re-assembly after dumping all the bits out lol. as you will notice the output plate is not one piece with the output shaft. the output shaft has a gear on it and the output plate a gear shape cutout so they mesh into each other as such

next on goes the ring gear which is significantly smaller than an xu1s. there is actually 3 ring gears in the gearbox. the lowest one you see in the upcoming picture, a moving one on the second stage and third stage to select high and low gear and one on the first stage thats cast into the plastic gearbox case. the gears also go onto taller and larger pins. the gears are metal and quite large.

now the second stage. much alike a dewalt this second gear carrier is far larger than an xu1s, the gear on the bottom is huge. but unlike a dewalt there is only 3 pins.

then the gears go on. they appear to be the same as in the fourth stage.

now the third stage, this stage sits in the first part of the casing nearest the motor but this is what it looks like when its setup.

to change speeds the yellow ring gear shown in the below pic slides up to disengage from the lower stage to be put in low gear (fast) and slides down to engage with it for high gear (slow). i will be putting one of my dewalt locking rings in there to lock the thing in low speed.

and the end product!

Post Wed May 31, 2006 4:03 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yay well that no use motor now has a use.

i found out that with some mods i can cram it into that 2 speed gearbox set it in low speed and have an awesome o power crusher. i hope at least for some 200kg out of it now.

the plan is to mod the front mounting plate to accept the further spaced mounting holes and hte larger front bearing housing. and if that doesnt work ill make a new one. the shaft will also have to get turned down to get the old gear to fit onto it and after that we will be rocking Smile

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:26 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i stole all the electronics out of woodzilla today. i finally got round to getting those bastard infra red controllers to work but alas i found a rather sucky feature. they have a timer on them that makes them turn off automatically after a couple of minutes and the range is complete crap. i resoldered the little reciever bits up on the top panels and it didnt really help..

alas i might whore out the IBC to woodzilla now. im just thinking of ways to fit it in seeing as though the box is too short. could require some tricky packaging hehe.

and ive also made a really cool little revision to the front wedge. i know its adding more metal but visually its totally worth it Razz when i get the welder fixed i can attach them permanently.

and ive started trying to make that new mega drill actuator. the shaft on the motor is too big for the gear on the drill so ive been trying to file it down. the thing is hardened i think... might spin it up and hold the griding stone too it next. Very Happy

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:12 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

spent a bit of time cadding about on woodzilla. i finally took the time to try wedge the IBC into the electronics bay and wouldnt you know its the tiniest bit to small to fit in.. argh. if it didnt have the box it would be fine but ah well.

also am going to redesign the lid. as it stands itll probably splinter all over the place because it just sits on top of the rest of the body. this way itll be recessed, lower and lighter.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/Woodzilla/?action=view&current=woodzillauber.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

really looking into speed controller options for it now. the electronizes look spastically cheap. and ive got myself a v-tail mixer already and i hear they go for less than $100 so they might be worth a look in.

as with the new drill actuator i managed to file down the shaft of the motor (with a bench grinder no less lmao) now i just need to try prise the pinion gear off the other motor which doesnt seem to want to budge. more thought in that one...

Post Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ah its been sitting on my floor for a few years now so i might do something with it. i figure demo bots are always in demand so might make something of it.

got cutting out a new frame for it from this 6mm bullet proof steel so she should last a while. the frames going to be angled slightly as well instead of flat so it looks alot better.

keeping the same drive and such but the frame will be slightly larger to accomodate the bigger electronics and such. the drill will get moved back slightly to give it a better leverage ratio so its got more power and a bit of an easier load. need to support it at the top of the rod or somewhere along its length as its forever bending. maybe will shove a bearing on it and brace that to the top of the jaw.

still pondering jamming a little flame thrower up into the cavity of the jaw Razz

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:15 pm