www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Pneumatics and Hydraulics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

fibreglass the PET bottles and they will last up to 150psi, the rams jeff use apparently work at that pressure, but el b had some bungee cord to stop the flipper travelling too much and blowing out the rams.

Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

For El bravo I use two 1.25 litre PET bottles. They were fine at 100psi but to go higher with confidence I covered them in fiberglass and also the caps were filled with epoxy before being screwed on so they don`t leak and won`t blow off. I plan to give them another layer of glass; three all up and within the safety of the arena, pump them up to 200psi and then have another bot bash them around a bit. Then, if there`s no big bang! I`ll feel safe to put them up to 150 psi regularly.

The rams are the larger size, easily available black bike pumps I found in K Mart. The shafts have a dowel pushed inside them for extra strength, after you cut off the handle. At the base I made an aluminium box section about three inches long and extending one inch past the end, forget the old rubber hose and drill and insert an 8mm OD air hose, use a little plastecence to block any leakage points ( the four corners of the box section then fill that up with more epoxy to make a solid mounting base. Drill a hole through the base for a pivot pin and absolutely! use some strong cord on the flipper to stop the rams from exceding their full stroke and blowing out the ends.

With any rams like that, treat them with the respect you would a gun, NEVER put yourself in front of a loaded barrel!

Philip has the most powerfull featherweight flipper I have ever seen but the CO2, very high pressure, "proper" parts etc. scare me just a little too much!
He has taken a year or more also to develope it. He knows exactly how to do it safely. Very Happy

Cheers,

Jeff.

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:28 am 
wilko

r u talking about the hand-held pumps or the ones that stand upright??

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:45 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hand held ones IIRC, the original ballistic used one of those big upright things, worked okay for a while but i think it damaged it at the engineering festival.

any pump would work i guess. except those foot pumps as the one i have has a spring inside the cylinder and you cant open it up to remove it, not sure about the newer ones.

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Yes, the hand held ones. First I used the standard plastic ones that come in various colours, they worked fine but then the bigger, black ones.

Iv`e checked out the tech pages, calculations and formulas and then usually do a bad Homer Simpson impersonation Rolling Eyes Then I just use a little logic and common sense to knock up something that works.
Each rebuild, I usually modify a bit and find an increase or decrease in power, so learning all the time.
All fun!

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:34 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hmm all this talk is getting me interested in them for the wood robot..

how do you think youd go about making a compressor powered lifter mite-e-er style, retract the ram? i can see how making the compressor turn on would extend the ram but not how you could retract it unless the air slowly sort of bled out of the cylinder slowly when the compressor turned off... any suggestions? would it be possible to use one of those solenoid sprinkler valves and tie it in with the compressor so when its off the thing vents and when its on it pumps up the ram?

looking at a bike pump they seem to be just a pvc cylinder or some sort of material like that.. i reckon you could find a piece of ali tube at bunnings or a random piece of steel pipe the right size to replace it with.

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:24 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Marshal used a 2/3 Valve in Mite-e-er

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:32 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I suppose I would use something like I did already. a servo switches on the compressor. Then, when switched off, the servo depresses a valve to vent the air. Mine did work, only the valve has moved.

The downside to Mite-e-er was the dead givaway; when you hear the compressor start,,, RUN AWAY! Very Happy

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:20 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
The downside to Mite-e-er was the dead givaway; when you hear the compressor start,,, RUN AWAY!

Very true, but the way the bot was shaped, once you were on top, you were going to get flipped, you just had to slowly wait for your doom while the compressor built up enough pressure Razz The Aggressor found this out a few times Twisted Evil

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:28 pm 
wilko

what about the metal upright one that sits on the ground and u use both hands on the top??? what do u do whith the built in valve that stops air getting into the ram???

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:26 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

put a drill through it Razz

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:34 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
looking at a bike pump they seem to be just a pvc cylinder or some sort of material like that.. i reckon you could find a piece of ali tube at bunnings or a random piece of steel pipe the right size to replace it with.

Get some 125 mm class 9 pvc and make a ram from that. Make sure that your buffer tank is three times the volume of the ram and you have large pipes and valves and you will have a large amount of instant force available.

Another way to do the 3/2 valve is to use a ball valve and activate it with a drill. BTW a 3/2 means that the valve has three ports and two positions. You would attach port 1 to your air pressure tank, port 2 to your ram inlet and port 3 would be unattached.

To fire the weapon you would have the drill turn the ball valve so that it was open from port 1 to port 2. To deactivate the ram you would have the drill reverse so that port 2 vents through port 3. A spring or similar would need to close the ram.

The same could be achieved in many other ways.

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:58 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

125mm is a fairly massive ram.. i would have thought PVC would bust apart as the stuff is pretty fragile. apparently not hey.

ill make a run down to repco later and see if they still have those A/C valves, hopefully they do, ballistic seemed to work great with it.

Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:17 am 
wilko

what about the metal ones. couldnt u just unscrew the bottom and screw on an end cap??

Last edited by wilko on Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:20 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

contact gary (rotwang) and ask him what he did on the first ballistic, it had one of the big upright cylinders.

Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:27 am