RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Flamewars - Mac vs Windows vs anybody rumble rides again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Knightrous:
I finally bought something Apple....... An iPhone. Its a little awkward to use at times but it is growing on me. Wish it could run ubuntu mid.... Well this post was written on my iphone

Well... I've since owned an iPhone4 and I officially bought my first Apple computer...
A 13" Macbook Pro...

To be honest, I'm enjoying this a little too much... I may even grow to tolerate OSX enough to use it daily Shocked

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:17 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ahah had my ipad since christmas, and despite my pensive hate initially, id break down and die without it now. i just use it too much for pretty well anything.

Its like a computer you use when your not on a computer XD

IOS 5 should be super handy with the split keyboard. thats my only gripe that its a bit unnatural laying in bed with it and having to poke at it with a finger. being able to hold it on either side and type with each finger will be super useful.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Submit to Master Steve - He makes it easy to do things *his* way.

Heard the latest Kerfuffle over the apple patent to remote-disable the camera on Iphones and Ipads depending on location ?

Supposedly its to stop naughty people recording concerts and other live gigs (like anyone would want to watch Iphone footage from a concert) -

But how long do you think it will be before the authorities decide to tell Apple to shut off all those cameras at protests, raids, crackdowns, G20 meetings and anywhere that they feel like being a bit ..forceful and dont want too much evidence hitting youtube ?

There are good reasons that I refer to Igadgets as "Shiny Handcuffs" you know.

Pretty, fashionable, easy to put on, but much more difficult to remove if they dont want you to. Thus the term "Jailbreaking".

Enjoy your voluntary step into their Jail (ahem, I mean "Garden" Smile )

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seanet1310

I must admit if I was looking for a laptop today to buy I would probably end up with the 13inch macbookpro i7. Only shame about it is the graphics but its not too bad. (And me and mac touchpads to not get along but training would fix that)

GL not getting lured into using osx as your primary OS on it. Resist the urge.

Still would go a htc or even nokia over iphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Android ftw.
Hell even windows mobile gives end users more power over their device.
(wimo gives you root by default, admittedly that's probably largely due to Microsoft not knowing any better in terms of security, but ey)

When microsoft is freer than your company your doing something wrong.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Submit to Master Steve - He makes it easy to do things *his* way.

Heard the latest Kerfuffle over the apple patent to remote-disable the camera on Iphones and Ipads depending on location ?

Supposedly its to stop naughty people recording concerts and other live gigs (like anyone would want to watch Iphone footage from a concert) -

But how long do you think it will be before the authorities decide to tell Apple to shut off all those cameras at protests, raids, crackdowns, G20 meetings and anywhere that they feel like being a bit ..forceful and dont want too much evidence hitting youtube ?

There are good reasons that I refer to Igadgets as "Shiny Handcuffs" you know.

Pretty, fashionable, easy to put on, but much more difficult to remove if they dont want you to. Thus the term "Jailbreaking".

Enjoy your voluntary step into their Jail (ahem, I mean "Garden" Smile )

Bahaaha i can so imagine Brett at some rally sitting there with a collosal luddite super 8 recorder glued to a CB radio type contraption. ILL SHOW ALL YOU CONSUMERIST JOBSWORTHS.

I just like how apple has grasped the concept that the common consumer doesn't care for this power user shyte. we don't know what to do with it so why give us/them the option to screw with it and break everything.

Its easy to use and basic as anything out there + cuts out all the guff and jargon that the majority of the population doesn't understand. So i guess its the polar opposite of something like linux, and why its become so raging popular.

Its pretty apparent, that tech heads just cant actually bring themselves to grasp that fact. How dare it offend their mighty computing knowledge.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 pm 
seanet1310

about 1/4 of the massive tech-heads i know have been corrupted with OSX and iphones and it seams to be growing.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Lol yeah well, i guess after what, 20 years of identical interfaces its just nice to use something somewhat different Smile

Ill go back to breaking rocks now *trudges back under bridge* XD

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

At the end of the day, I like the quality of the Apple hardware, yet to find any other phone or laptop that I can openly say I like better. Software wise, regardless of if its Windows, Linux, Mac or iOS, Android, Palm etc etc, there's pot holes with all of them, it's just how good of a user you are to not let the limitations or downfalls affect you.

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
(like anyone would want to watch Iphone footage from a concert)

This video came from my iPhone
http://www.qrsc.crystalnode.net/videos/Edge%202/unedited/AK%20-%20Demon%20V%20Scissorhands.MOV
Nothing wrong with the quality of that Smile

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:04 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Never seen this thread before..... but I did want to mention a few things about using osx that we have noticed compared to windows.

Osx only costs $40 for a brand new retail copy from jb hifi (so its a fifth of the price of windows) and you don't have to register it or have a code of any kind or even an internet connection to install it.

I think the main reason more people don't go for macs, is that they don't have the game support of windows. We don't play any games...we just do editing ect and the osx just don't crash much.

We only have hackintoshes so hardware is the same as a pc...though the mac keyboards and monitors are nice. he he

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:09 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by seanet1310:
Still would go a htc or even nokia over iphone.

IMHO, Nokia is the worst on the market right now... I was a big fan of nokia for many years, but they have turned to shit. We use Nokias at work for all our staff, and the problems are endless. Reception issues, software issues, update failures, battery failures, bluetooth dropouts, email sync drama, PCB corrosion and the list goes on.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 pm 
Vignesh

Last Nokia i got was s**t. It was a QWERTY fone and I dropped it on my table from a height of 30cm and the keyboard totally seperated from the screen. Opened it up and saw the battery was also leaking.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 pm 
seanet1310

my e63 still goes strong. looking at the new e6 when it comes out. this is mac v windows maybe a little off topic (however some sources say nokia will be running win7 mobile soon)

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by seanet1310:
about 1/4 of the massive tech-heads i know have been corrupted with OSX and iphones and it seams to be growing.

OSX is just Unix with a pretty gui over the top, and apple has yet to exert its "all your igadget are belong to us" on the Mac - yet. I heard they are working on a locked up app-store for the mac..

Imo - Any "massive-tech-head" that is running an unjailbroken I-Phone is more likely to be the caffe-latte sipping type who thinks that system administration = clicking "empty" on their trashcan.

I dont question Apple's skill at making consumer-friendly products that Joe Average finds easier to operate than your typical tech-friendly gear..

but if that means they put up walls saying "users keep out, apple only allowed in here" all over their equipment, then I'll take the trouble to learn how to use the real "free to do what you want with" tools thanks. The rest of you can stay in play-school-land if you want. Razz

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Seriously why should I *have* to go to the effort of jailbreaking.

Why can't apple just add the obvious features which everyone needs. Steve must really like the 5 bloody SMS tones $#^@$%#@. Also jailbreaking to make it easy to turn off wifi and 3g so the battery lasts more than one day.

Jailbreaking makes it usable but these days if I had a choice would definitely buy an android phone.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:01 pm