www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

fan motors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol that really sucks,

we'll be waiting for you here in the good ole commonwealth of australia Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

EV Warrior Specs..
Model No: - GPB?
Nom Volt: - 24V
Max Volt: - 24V
Max rpm: - 5,000
No load Current: - 3.0 A
Stall Current: - 120 A
Stall Torque: - 50.0 in-lb
KT in-oz/Amp: - 6.7
KV rpm / Volt: - 208
Nom Hp: - 0.25
Peak Hp: - 0.8
Weight: - 3 lb
Efficiency: - 75?
lb / Hp: - 3.8

Hope this will help

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:18 pm 
andrew

I saw a phat fan motor for 50 bucks a while back which had bosch gpb and looked similar in size to an ev warrior. basically its twin but only difference i saw was that it didnt have a shaft but a spinning metal plate.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

much more to report on fan motors.

valiant - series wound motor as used on scoopy doo. the one we got was rusted up but still had alot of rpms on 12v and at 28.8v it went like the clappers although after 5 secs or so of running the shaft was damn hot..

Bosch GPB - cant recall the car it came from but this is a big motor. IIRC the predecessor to the ev warrior. looked nice alright.

Bosch GPA - from an audi. hell all mighty this is without doubt the biggest motor so far. almost 4kg in weight and with almost 80amps on stall. lots of rpms on 12v. also had these two huge air inlets so that thing has POWQER. IIRC the predecessor to the bosch 750w.

Nippon Denso fan motor - i think it came from a mitsubishi TR but we found a few in the boots of cars. about 900g or something like that but with a fair turn of speed and power. nice all rounder with a flat plate.

bigger nippon denso fan motor - same as the one above but alot taller. same as scrap uses. lots of power on 24v. cant recall the car they came from as we found all 4 of them in the boots of cars once more.

crazy flat plate nippon denso motor - same as above but with a spinning triangle instead of a round plate.

low current motor - nfi what car they come from but they have about 4000rpm on them at 12v and 17amps stall... plan b uses it.

my bosch motor from a volvo weighs 1.52kg too..

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Dose anyone know where i can get some ev warrior motors from local or dose anyone have any they will part with Very Happy

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

www.robotmarketplace.com

$35 each they aint that much

and for the really tight there are some GPBs to be had in cars and i myself have a larger version bosch motor from a volvo.

if you want to go OTT a 4kg GPA from an audi a4 i believe is what you want.

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:58 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Just looking for somewhere local i can get em but i will prob end up getn them from the robot market place

Dose anyone know what car they come out of the ev warriors?

And dose anyone have a ev warrior motor? what do you think of it?

I know it ses something like .356 of a horse power but that means jack to me i cant get an idea on how powerfull that is
i want it so you can gear it down 2-1 and allmost not be able to stop the shaft spinning with your hand.

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:12 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

no one has any round these parts except for nick, but his are all busted.

cant recall the car, nick would know.

evs at 24v are extremely powerful, putting it in perspective, phrizbee spuns its 80lb shell with 4 of them.

they are about 1.5hp at 24v btw

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:22 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

EV Warrior motors arent out of any car, they were originally made for an electric bicycle called the "EV Warrior" (hence the motor name) that was made by a company that went broke leaving thousands of the things on the surplus market.

They are *based* on the Bosch GPB motor IIRC, but have some internal differences and make more power than the GPB does.. Keep in mind that at 24v, they are too much for an IBC to handle since they have nearly *200* amps of stall current at 24v.

They are an amazingly powerful motor for the money, but arent quite such a good bargain when you consider that they need an accurate clamp mount (due to their lack of mounting points), have a round output shaft that requires a transtorque or other similair coupling to get a good grip, and require opening up and modifying to remove the internal earthing join if you want them to go in both directions.. by the time you buy/do all that, they arent so cheap anymore, but still arent bad.

gearing them down for drive, the americans rule of thumb is that you "gear down to the wheel diameter (in inches)" - so a 5inch diameter wheel requires 5:1 reduction ratio for optimum performance.

If you are using them for a spinner, then its up to the weight and diameter of the shell that determines your optimum gearing, and if its a spinner that has big teeth and is likely to come to sudden crashing halts, then dont direct drive them (or any motor for that matter). some form of torque-limiting slip coupling and additional load bearings are essential if you want them to survive long.

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:54 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

We own 4 EV's and have used them for several different things. Hellbringer 3 had 2 for its drive, The Aggressor had one for its spinning bar and we had one set up driving an axe. So far we have only only run them on 12V during a fight and they still drained the batteries rather quickly. Hellbringer 3 had a useful run time of only 1 minute with 2.3Ah SLA. I can't remember how long The Aggressor lasted with it EV spinner. I personally think the EV has too much torque for a spinner unless you gear it up. But I'm mainly saying that after the EV in The Aggressor flipped the robot after burying its spinner into the front of Marauder. But I do think the EV's make good motors for drive and for powering axes. The axe we were playing around with caused the test chasis to jump into the air as the weapon fired,trying to flip it over backward with the counter-torque, lifting the front of the robot above the target, the axe handle then swung around hitting the front of the robot which then flipped it over forward so the whole ended up sitting on its nose. I might have to dig that thing out again and play with it some more.

Even though the EV is a beutiful motor it is also getting extremly rare. I know the Robot Market place it out of CW timed EV's and you won't find them anywhere else. So I find it rather sad when I see people mis-treat them. After seeing people buy them and then treat them in a way that'll only give one use from and saying things like "oh, they are cheap, I'll just buy 4 replacments" I'm tempted to buy 2 and lock them in a carbord somewhere simply so those evil bastards won't get their hands on these rare little beuties.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I im looking at a ev warrior motor for a weapon motor on my 12kg bot driveing a spinning bar with a 3-1 gear ratio at 18v chain driven or i might have to go a belt drive i have a cheap sturdy design that will work great for the belt system.

But i wanted the motor to keep moving the blade even after it hits another bot i have sorted out how to mount the motor very secure"the ev warrior motors on the marketplace spin in both directions one faster then the other but who cares if its for a weapon motor.

I will be using hell bents battery packs in hell razor my 12kg bot they are 18v 9 amps it saves me buying two diferent types of packs intern saving $s so i will make it threw a couple of matches without having to charge the pack and i have a 196 amp speed controler to drive it so i have it all sorted>

but tell me if the chain drive idea is going to be a BAD idea or not?

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:44 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hehe you keros must have gone into convulsions over what nick was doing to his,

hellbent - 3:1 is probably a bit much for an EV i would imagine. i know 2:1 has been used as has 1:1 but you want some bad ass cooling on that motor.

as for chain drive on the spinner the keros did that on the aggressor, but i believed the chain derailed (?).

i would go with a belt as its going to slip and save that motor from stalling (which it will at 3:1).

btw nicks basilisk had a 14.4v ev warrior on a 2kg bar going 1:1 and really had insane power.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:27 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks i think i will now go for the belt drive and i was going to go the 2-1 gear ratio but i thought the bar might get stuck in the other robot?

As for cooling how hot do you think the ev warrior motor will get in one match i know backlash a 25kg bot from team knightmare use two of these motors for drive and they dont have any typ of cooling on them just air space in the shell of the robot.

Do i realy kneed to worry about cooling? i will drill air holes in the shell anyway around where the motor will be.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well backlash ran his at 12v and was geared down for the drive (weapon was an AME d-pack) so it will be getting alot of an easy time than yours will.

think about it, an ev at 2:1 will be turning the bar at 10,000rpm or so, far to much to be practicle, at 1:1 youll be turning at 4500-5000rpm. more than feasible. youll probably start flipping over if you go really high.

i would say fans on the motor would be needed.

3faze might want to chip in as i know a UK bot had a small vert spinner off a 2:1 ev.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:05 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry i ment 1-3 if thats which way it go's around Very Happy

One turn of the bar to every 3 turns of the motor so it will be about 1000 rpm at 18v.
That will be belt drive 2kg spinner

And my packs are 9000mah nimh d size cells

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:21 pm