www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

'X' - ZaneStriker - NSW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
ZaneStriker

'X' - ZaneStriker - NSW

I'm new to the sport of Robot fighting and my 'bot is still under construction but I thought I might aswell introduce myself and my 'bot.

The name's Zane, Zane Striker, I'm 17 and live in the Newcastle area. I just started year 12 and decided to bot a multi-use romote control bot for my Desogn and Technology Major Design Project. Though i'm actually using that as a cover will I build my dream 'bot. My baby, 'X'.

'X' is a composite of ideas that I normally come up with when I'm really, really bored (trust me, don't let me get bored or I start to build and create stuff... wierd and expansive stuff, lol). Well 'X' isn't really anything special and won't even have any powered weapons or anything like that, but what makes him special is that he is completly customizable in only a few moments with little more then a power drill.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:19 am 
ZaneStriker

What makes 'X' special-

'X' is nothing special, really. He's made of wood and metal. Has a couple of windscreen wiper moters and a dry-cell car battery...so far. But he has one advantage over his competition, though I don't really expect him to win many matches.

With the use of just a single cordless drill, 'X' can have is armour and weapons completly removed and replace in a matter of minutes. Theoritically....

He is basically a box with a sloping nose so as to get under the oppent. With his armour on, he is little more then a romote controlled ram. But then you add his "parts". My only complete set so far is the 'Lancer-X'. Although I can explain it, you really need to see it to understand, so I hope to get a pic up soon, so please bear with me.

The 'Lancer-X' is a set of two metal plates that act as armour, but they each have a metal box welded to them...a metal box with a rather large and sharp piece of metal sticking forward, much like a lance.

So baisically pictuce a box, with wheels, covered in metal and two lances positioned forward. These Lances will be used ofcourse to run your 'bots through. Muahahaha!

Btw, each set or attachment will be called something kinda kool, lol, like the 'Lancer-X' or the 'Jagear-X' (almost complete)

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:36 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Experienced Roboteers Advice:

Drop the wiper motors, they are heavy and slow. Go for a set of 12v XU1 cordless drills picked up at Bunnings hardware for $18 (Comes with a 550 sized motor, 36:1 double stag planetary gearbox and a 12v 1200mAh NiCD battery pack with charger!). You can get a set of matching 95mm red wheels that literlly bolt straight on to the XU1 drills for $3.89 each. With this setup on 12v, you'll get a top speed of around 12km/h which is a lot better then a wiper motor on 24v with a 250mm wheel at 4km/h.

If your going to use wood, a double laminate idea will help it surive. Some 8mm MDF with a layer of 3mm Polycarb or aluminium on either side that is bonded to it with some glue will make a fairly strong panel.

Have a look at the rest of build threads, and look at what everyone else is using. Ideas you have, other people might have tested and may be able to provide you some useful information on why/why not to use that idea. For your armour, bulk up if your competiting NSW, Jolt is a nasty spinner and likes to buckle and bend 6mm aluminium for breakfast, or 10mm 5083 aluminium for dinner....

Remember, if your needing any advice, you can contact any of the 'Experinced Roboteers' via PM (Private Message) or use the search function to find previous threads/posts which might have information.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:54 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

howdy there,

sounds like a good project to be starting off on, if you want any advice about building a robot for a project add andrew welch to your msn and have a chat to him, he build a heavyweight (just) for his project so he could share some insight.

going with what aaron said wiper motors are definitely more trouble than there worth. you have to make an adaptor for the odd ball shaft, they are slow and really unreliable on account of the plastic gears within. and you have to internally mod the wiring i believe.

drills are a good start as there easy to put in, but also the 100w scooter setups are a great alternative from oatley, you can buy the entire drive pod and just bolt them in and youve got a really damn fast and robust solution. the drills are very borderline on reliability so id prolly reccomend these any day.

http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/motors.html#SC450

ah yes and dry cell car battery, totally useless for a robot, dont even think of using one, if you tip the thing over youll be spilling battery acid all over the place, they are 60ah which is WAY to massive (a good 2ah is needed for most) and they usually cant be deep discharged anyway. normal SLAs or drill nicads would be the go.

sounds cool, best advice i could propose though is to just set aside a weekend and travel down to an event and see them go in person and see what parts are used what not....

best of luck, keep us updated

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

wouldnt that be a "wet" cell
dry to me seems to say "without wet stuff"

but yeah car battery = bad
SLA= not too sucky and you wont wind up with battery acid everywhere.
XU1 nicad = not too crappy
C-size 3600's = the lurvin (though there be talk of sub c NI-MH's too that dont suck)
Li-Poly yeah ok in yer dreams ;-> (well unless your nick)

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ah yeah true, he did say dry cell didnt he, id still be inclined to think it would be fairly massively oversized lol.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZaneStriker

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. My PC is actually broken right now, but I'm at my Dad's place, where my 'Bot is currently under construction, so I have only just checked back here since the day I signed up, lol. But I so feel motivated to get building now! After all this critisim from parents and friends- "don't build that, it's gay" or "build something less complicated or expensive", it feels great to get a little encouragment! So thanks guys!

Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:27 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Friends are people who support what you do, not plug you about it! Family, well they always complain about hobbies.....

Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:38 pm 
ZaneStriker

Just an update...

I just went out to the shed to work on my baby, 'X'. And to my absolute horror... my little brother had attacked it and destroyed it!!!!!

My baby.... is no more....

Ohwell, nvm, it was only Proto-X, onto the one and only 'X'!

I'll keep you updted.

Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:37 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Damn, brothers are annoying. They always try and break your robots.

Just a tip. Listen to everyone's advise but don't build what they tell you to build. You can learn from us how to setup motors and armour and things like that, but most of these guys will tell you to build a boring brick. I say you can build what ever you want to build. They are always telling me to use steel instead of polycarb and to make thing simperlar, but if I did that I would end up with my brothers brick instead of my Sidewinder.

Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:39 pm 
bytraper

Hahaha class, maybe you should armour plate your little brother and enter him?
Good Luck with the X bot!

Cheers!

Post Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:10 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

store it in your room like i do with mine, it keeps it away from all the things that might harm it (combat aside)
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:36 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Lol just park the car on them and the kids cant move them Very Happy

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:29 pm 
bytraper

Really looking forward to seeing your bot zane... Sounds like it will be a killer!
I've started building my new bot (funtime barbie)... Not only has it given me a new hobby, its also giving me new challenges to put my mind to!

Im only new to this stuff too, its something I always wanted to do, but I had no idea it was in even IN australia... I was pretty happy when I found it though Smile

Good luck with it all And I hope to se X soon!!

Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:13 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Good luck with it all And I hope to se X soon!!

very funny hehehehe
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:31 pm