RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

King Cobra - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

King Cobra - Team Aurora - NSW

well all is looking up.

got the 60amp fet for the weapon and am still making that up. the IBC will fire it off in place of a relay for space reasons.

the batteries are going to be one 2.3ah slas for the drive and 1 for the weapon although on availability the weapon will be run from 24v 3000mah nimh packs.

weapon will get made get laser cut as it seems at the mo and should be about 220mm diameter and 1800-2000g weight.

weapon motor still needs to have the fan assembly taken off but im pretty sure its a series motor. will test it tommorow.

all in all its looking like it will be ready for marayong 7

Last edited by Glen on Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

andrew got that fan case off today, thanks for that.

well the motor is not a series wound as i suspected its a PMDC. but its very efficient, when you stick a wire from it straight on to a battery it barely sparks - as opposed to a drill which sparks all over the shop. should have some kick at 24v.

the 9.6v drills have been modified to go into cobra. although the gears on the 9.6v drills are higher up on the shaft than the xu1 drills. so nfi how that will work out. hopefully well.

also got the batteries back and ill get about 2 more sets before the event.

still waiting for a qoute on the laser cutting..

got the fet activator half done.

still have to get another LED grrrr.... apparently they dont go off 5v Embarassed

ill be shopping for the aluminium section soon, but im after the same stuff nick had on minotuar 1.2's hammer (whered you get yours from??)

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

still toying with designs and placements etc in cad.

the horizontal option doesnt look really appealing any more as fitting it all into 80mm of height with such a big motor looks extremely hard.

the vertical option on the other hand looks a lot easier. basically if i have the same weapon spinning vertically in a swinging pod kind of thing i can fit it in no sweat.

still planning..

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:05 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I had to buy 4 meters from O'brien's Aluminium and have HEAPS spare... Any offers accepted!

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:43 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

a paper clip and some pocket lint Very Happy.

nah name your price and ill grab some from you, (might also recruit your services to see what the speed and current on my fan motor is sometime as well).

ill chuck up a CAD of cobra-to-be now Wink actually looks kewl.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

finally got a 12v bezel LED, couldnt find them anywhere.

also took the little box sans hammer for a test run, this thing hoons around without the big arm out the back! 9.6v at 12v makes for a good little drive, also has alot more push despite the lower voltage.

the whole weapon system is getting redone, that big motor just wont go in effectively. so ill keep that for a future project and move onto a flat plate motor that i can fit in, means the pulley and mounting of everything can be simplified.

still not happy a bought a huge motor though... why the f*** did i buy it Embarassed lol

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:41 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

moved the LED to one of the brackets that hold the lid on so i can see it without having to stick my head down near the robot which was totally unsafe.

also got the entire thing put together ready for a drive on the 24th. ill stick a little temporary castor on it for then but it should give you a good slammin Smile

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:57 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

note i have been talking to brett and it seems the ibc may be doing some oddness and clipping the voltage into the bot, may mean that the fet setup will "hover".

there is a workaround but it aint pretty. (taking pins off chips)

(this is only a problem over 12V or so.)

i'll let you know of an update next time i speak to brett.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

thanks for the heads up jake, ive got a single servo ill hack up now to make a fet driver.

itll be interesting to see what the problem is.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:45 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

got that led in which proved rather difficult, required pulling half the robot apart and some nifty dremel work which was a bit more than anticipated lol.

in taking one of the side panels off the front panel decided to spring out with some fierce power which was a hell of a surprise, theres a pic in the album but its pretty bent thanks to plan b and annihilation.

well now its all working for the builders meet, only needs a temporary castor to stop it dragging.

i want to see how long the batteries last so if you would care to nick maybe we could have a leisurley pushy fight? Smile

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:11 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

got the plans for the disc all wrapped up, just a normal old 200mm disc of 6mm steel.

the disc alone weighs about 1.4kg which doesnt include the mass of the teeth and shaft so it should add up to something like 1.8kg spinning

got the DFX file and have sent it off to the water jet place so hopefully i can get the thing cut for less than $30-40.

cobras 100% ready for upgrades now. needs the weapon bolted onto the front and its ready to kill.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:22 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

bah well it seems cobra just wont let me put a disc onto it.

so many troubles with the design now:

* mainly in that the weight table says the weight is 12.9kg and thats without the welds and so forth so i suspect it will be over weight.
* there was no way i could physically condense it all into 80mm of height without the bot being non invertible. im not spending that much money on a robot with it having such a huge flaw as that.
* the frame would be so incredibly weak at 10x10 steel box section and
* the clearances where ridiculous, like 2mm between the disc and A frame.

so this version of cobra is getting the 2x 2.3ah SLAs in parallel for 4.6ah of battery life. getting the tread back on again as well as the old wedge but with a few mods so it can wedge and still drive around. with 9.6v at 12v there wont be any gearbox or motor troubles even with the tread so it should be a trooper and a half now.

so on to new robot Smile same as cobra but with a thinner metal base instead of lexan and welded 6mm aluminium frame. the weapon motor will sit between the drives so it will be about 40mm wider and the same length. this thing should be ALOT more servicable. no getting your hands wedged in things to get something off etc..

the new design also lends itself to a heavier disc. im talking 2.5kg here.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:31 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well cobra went very well today at the builders meet.

it managed to push basilisk and with the tread on pushed it sideways at considerable speed!

the 9.6v at 12v drives are more than adequate. even when pushing another robot with the treads on the motors where still mildly warm, nothing lethal at all. with the tread the 2.3ah goes flat in only a minute or two but without tread it lasts 3 minutes and more.

still need to put the new wheels on as i stripped one of the old wheels i had on it. apart from that it needs the wedge on the back and a ball castor on the back as well so i can properly wedge people around.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:55 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well finally got the weight of the thing = 9.1kg

obviously that just will not do for a dedicated spinner killer wedge bot! so im out to seach for some 12mm steel plate to strap to the back to bring it up to 12.1kg

im also seeing if i can jam a lifter into the wedge, but with 2 batteries i doubt it. id rather test the bot i have to get the most from it.

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:38 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

12mm steel did I read that right? lol

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:52 am