Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Angus, I want to see ya mum slapping Glen's! Laughing

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:32 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

XD mum fight!

But on a good note the cad is all looking fine. i ordered the pulleys and belts from small parts which where not too expensive.. belt width is 9mm and 3mm HTD. its all thatll fit in width wise so hopefully its enough. the 15mm ones handled failbot and visceral so should be okay.

the sidewinder will mount up to the top plate with some welded on studs and rubber shock mounts. im a bit wary of the sidewinder but the current limiting is welcome and not having exposed fets is good. i always have anxiety attacks about them getting shorted by debris

dewalts and wheels will bolt onto the hinged pods and they will hinge on an m8 bolt. ive finished the mounts as shown here.. one side is tapped.

batteries will also mount up onto the top with a folded up aluminium box that will bolt on using nuts on welded studs. thus making everything bolt to the frame negating the need for a large base plate as originally called for. so ive thrown about 2kg of weight away and now its pretty comfortably underweight which isnt too bad for such a massive robot plated in 6mm.

just have a small titanium dust cover on the bottom and all will be sweeet. if the parts get here in time will be done with time to spare!!

now to work on some hinging forks.. Shocked

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

The sidewinders seem to have a weakness with the servo inputs. I think if your rigorous about making sure its turned off during any "plugging" event and make sure of the polarity of your servo leads then you should be ok.

You might want to look somehow at keying the servo leads so you cant plug them in wrong.

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

indeed that was a bit worrying Confused maybe you could put a diode on one of the power wires to prevent it opening up the H bridge like it did to jeff... but i guess ill just have to be cautious Smile

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just plugging them in back to front and powering them up shouldn’t bother them.
I was swapping them with the power turned on to get the channels the right way around when mine blew up.

Jason changed some parts but couldn’t fix it so it’s of to the USA for it.

Hope it can be fixed but with 4-layer circuit board etc who knows.

The second one was in Bane for Robowars and ran fine but I did have a 25amp fuse in the battery supply just in case.

Probably wouldn’t of helped but I had TVS diodes and caps hung all over him.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:04 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Jeff-F blew his up by plugging the servo lead in backwards.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

intruiging. we shall see how the sidewinder goes in any case. but i did find some bolts the right size. need to cut them down a little but the hinging part is done.

next thing to do is wait for the sidewinder to come then weld the mounts for that in (just 4 bolts welded on with some rubber grommets under it and lock nuts.

battery pack mount that will be folded and drilled aluminium that will bolt on in a similar fashion

and the drives are cadded and ill post the designs off to big blue saw in the US to see what the service is like. the prices seem okay.

and the token picture. and steel rusts when you put water on it in case you didnt know Surprised

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:56 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Why not use the local place, you can almost walk there? They have done OK work for me and were cheaper than several other places I had quotes from.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

got enough cells for one good battery pack and ive discharged them all down to 3.2v so i can level them out as close as possible as its looking like i wont have my infinity charger before the next event.

then i can solder together and have the one pack working for the next event.

got all the bolts retapped to M8 as there was only two bolts holding the lid on at the last event Confused and there countersunk now also to stop them getting smashed up good.

and the forks are cut off. theres next to nothing left anymore but should be enough to grab people. shall see..

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:04 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Surprised Very Happy went and handed over $2200 today for my new lathe mill so hopefully thats getting delivered next weekend. huzzah! also found plenty of CNC conversions for it as well.

plenty happy with it, they had another lathe that had a much bigger swing but it was seriously dodgy. no fine feed or anything and you had to remove the chuck to do any milling.

so yesh ill be doing all my own work now on every robot. MOST HAPPY!

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

put the lathe into commision today and turned down the hubs on one side of the colsons. they have a raised ridge that pokes out a good 5mm and thats 5mm i could be using else where.

the hubs im using also have a flange on them that im going to tap for the pulleys to go into. i also want to reduce the width of the entire setup so im going to lathe out a reccess in the back of the pulley for the flange to go into. thus the pulley will sit up against the wheel and still have something to bolt into. plus its nice and narrow.

still learning all the fancy bits to this machine... clamping the work into its a bit tricky sometimes but it seems to be going Okay now Very Happy

also got the sidewinder on thursday so when i repair the welder ill mount that in there also. the brackets arent that good a fit on the module itself so that combined with rubber grommets should make an alright shock mount. lovin it Smile

as for the old version i just ripped apart the old viscerals batteries to make some new ones for it. hopefully my mega power charger comes in time so i can stop farking up the batteries Shocked

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

good times, just finished the new packs. in contrast to the last set this one is all exactly at 3.342v aside from one cell thats 3.29v i think. so i charged that one up and schlapped em together.

got the new countersunk bolts in to hold the lid on so its one piece.. very stealthy and sexy looking for such a bashed up robot Razz

as for the battery holders im gunna make my own solid version - itll be two UHMW bars with a big slot cut in them for the batterys to sandwhich into. this will stop them twisting and shorting and all that other hoo hah that was happening with the last pack. should be good

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Now you have the sexy lathe / mill, you should build one of those intercooled battery packs like I use in Jolt - completely bulletproof!

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

so totally happy with how it went at the latest event. the batteries where fixed, the drive seems to be happy and the gyro set up fine.

against plan g it was hooning around great and won after the wheel unscrewed on plan g. it did peel up the side a tiny bit though which was pretty impressive.

against caber i think was next was alright. the drive was going good but it was tricky to get under him especially at the front because the front of my wedge was so destroyed Laughing i rammed him twice but he got under my robot a lot more and won that fight. however the robot randomly died in the arena with all the power lights on. i turned it off and on again and it worked Shocked this was the IMX-1 begin to pack up.

against rapture was so awesome. was flying about smashing into him and taking some huge hits (one bent the front of the fork pretty good) until the mixer randomly sent the robot into a spin then on the last hit died and no more control Crying or Very sad bugger.

then my gyro also seemed to have ceased functioning so i just shoved anguses mixer into the robot sans gyro and went into fight misfortune. being totally impossible to drive i somehow plowed into him once and then did it again - where misfortune hit the little chunk plan g had made earlier on and flipped it over on its back. couldnt drive because rapture buggered up the fork Razz

so yeass all up pretty good day aside from the annoying failure of the mixer.

plans now are to have version 2 done for the next event (Easy done!) and slap this version back into shape.

so for the old one i have to reweld the front. fix the front wedge and add a plate underneath it to bring some weight foward and stop it getting mangled so easily.

also have to get some solderless stick packs as they will fit in the front much easier than this pack did.

annnd need to make a Milled out electronics box for the gyro - mixer - radio to sit in. i think the shock is starting to kill them Mad might even need a new gyro too.

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:44 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Having the mixer die randomly sucks; could it be the reset problem I had a few years ago? that was a bug in the PIC's code and needed a new chip. Let me know how the gyro is going, I am about to try the same one out in Scissorhands.

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:35 am