www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

King Cobra - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 59, 60, 61  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i dont think it is the shut down problem because i have one that does that but then got a 2nd one that was supposed to be fixed. i recalibrated it after the fight and it gave all indications of working but the victors were indicating no signal..

so im sure its just rooted.

as for the gyro the case is all smashed apart. it really needs to be mounted in a little cavity thats filled with foam or something. there fragile Shocked

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Wow, smashed case Shocked I just have mine mounted with double-sided tape; sounds like it wouldn't last one fight. Perhaps I can cast it in the remains of the urethane I used for wheels? Failing that, I could mill a pocket in a small block of UMHW.

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:01 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

lightweight foam would be better.
something an open cell type stuff but fairly stiff.

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have a sheet of the hard foam that computers are packed in (not styrofoam). I still think the gyro should be glued into whatever is supporting it - you wouldn't want a jolt Rolling Eyes to pop it out of the foam!

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well lately with all the pocket bike work (i now have 3 Laughing ) and racing i havent had much time for robots. and honestly i havent touched them because i got the shits with the robot last event after the mixer died (thought winning the event would be a bit of a shoe in haha)

sooo after having a look the gyro is also dead.

thankfully i have now bought a gyro for $110 off ebay which im well pleased about considering the original cost $300 Shocked and using the tiny mixer i got off angus for 3. so the setup is a bit smaller now.

also getting some of those solderless tube packs thatll make the front more compact so i can move the gyro back and put it in a protective case.

welder is fixed so next weekend ill make the front of the wedge stronger and fix the forks. (say that 10 times fast).

have to make the front of the wedge lower too. last event it was just stuffed from reboot so could never get under caber. now i have the welder i can fill the gaps in again haha

should be pretty good. i think if i can do all that itll go well next event.

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hmm long weekend of working on my etek bike which no runs good, so can relax with some robot progress.

who wants dodgy camera pics! Surprised

fixed the damage from plan g by jamming some chunks of metal in the hole and welding it up then grinding it back. with this kind of skill i should think about a career change to smash repairs ? Laughing not.

oh noes, damage

pretty as a picture

also took the time to fill in the front of the wedge with some weld then grind it back. now it rests flat on the floor again. no more getting under me again! i hope.

thank you mr reboot and plan g

a little better and alot flatter

was planning the weld some metal under the wedge to make it solid but by the time i ground it back it was a completely worthless endevour. so i just left it as is.

new gyro arrived in a timely fashion so thumbs up to that ebay place. ill flog a little jiffy box from work tommorow and shove the gyro in that. itll be mounted up the back this time off center so ill test that out to see how that works.

and the new battery packs from MEC i hope will be here tommorow. i ordered them saturday and the guy emailed back about 2 hours later haha. good service Exclamation so yeahs.

should be a bit better this time round. running 8 cells of A123, the gyro in a better more strongly mounted position and a better mixer + low wedge. try stop me now Laughing (jinx)

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:23 pm 
Windhammer

Glen baby, you need a new camera. Mr. Green

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well good results this time Very Happy

turns out both my mixers died the night before and had to resort to borrowing nicks IMX1.

also mounted the gyro off center to try protect it in a plastic jiffy box.

unfortunately this made the robot totally uncontrollable again as i tested before. so it was lucky to get through most of the event Razz

took a beating on the wedge from scissor hands. and rapture im sure would have dealt out some pain on it. but its made it through its last event in one piece. and on that note it will retire on its last winning event Razz

now on to the new one to try take on scissor hands. i got some m5 bolts to bolt the pulleys to the wheels with and thats done.

need to look into getting the 10mm ali for the drive pods and then getting the speed controller mounted this week.

looking to avoid drilling any holes by using welded on studs and such to mount everything with. to hopefully make it totally solid on the outside. will see how we go Shocked

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:54 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

smashed cobra back together yet again. gyro is now in the middle at the back and switch is at the front. should work good.

As for new cobra i cant bring myself to build it.. to much complexity for a wedge. its also too massive i reckon and flippers would have a field day with it.

so im gunna dumb it down a shade and just retain the same shape as the old one with 2wd, but

- use the sidewinder to simplify the electronics (can remove mixers becs, etc)
- still have a hinging system to account for the wedge irregularities and revise the wheel pod setup
- up the thickness to 10mm - 12mm all over.
- completely smooth exterior - no bolts no holes no nothing on the outside to grab on to.

should give me a bit of motivation to build it. Razz probably start the day after the event.

Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:55 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Shocked 10 to 12mm steel shell? That would make it a definite contender and follows Spockie's "Rock Paper, Scissors" model for winning. I wonder how I can invent a bigger set of scissors?...

Post Fri May 09, 2008 8:44 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

thats the name of this game Laughing gotta make something bigger every time. armour.. weapons.. skill...... or cost Laughing

but i picked up a sheet of titanium for 20 pounds (460mm x 300mm x 1.5 for the bottom cover so im well pleased on that front. im thinking some bissalloy this time for the shell though titanium seems to be a lot softer. really after something hard for the body Surprised

Post Fri May 09, 2008 9:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well flexo went well using this steel so i think ill be happy to use it for this version.

here it is - from this pig to this Laughing

as compared to the old version its got a bigger angle on the panels - about 20mm wider - a fair bit shorter and plenty stronger.

the tiniest bit lower too..

and the parts will be vaguely arranged this way. the sidewinder sits on an angle on the front. hopefully it fits! if not ill be doing some surgery to get it in Razz its what the robot needs to be perfect for me i think.

next is the drive setup. 10mm steel it will be this time. Cool

so should have this bit done fairly soon so i can move onto visceral

Post Sun May 11, 2008 1:18 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ahhh time to pull cobra out from the water soaked pit from which its been sitting over the last few months.

sidewinder and dewalts are back in there. working on making the drives a bit more efficient since last time to try get the speed back up. to that degree i had to mill 3mm off the bottom of one of the bearing blocks to make it line up again. thats how awesomely the base is bent Laughing

the press fit hubs are also less then a tight fight now so i had to silicon them back on. seems to be holding nicely. turns out i was missing a key in the shaft last even too which explains why it wouldnt push anything toward the end...

but yeas ill have the connectors tonight and can finish the wiring. then making a battery mount (will probably just sandwhich the thing in with foam heh) and its done!

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:03 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
time to pull cobra out from the water soaked pit from which its been sitting over the last few months

You keep it under your bed??? Laughing

seriously, the new frame is lookin' good, will it have the gyro, or does it drive OK without?

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:01 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
You keep it under your bed??? Laughing

*In* his bed nick Razz[/b]

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:10 pm