www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Flame weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Aaron just put his name at the top of the "builders who should be banned from building flame throwers" list.

I'm quite happy with that. I admit that I am no where near experienced in this area. Backyard projects are one thing, building a flamethrower in a mobile platform to destroy other platforms infront of a crowd is a large responsibility, that I don't want on my shoulders Razz

I hope your up to the job Daniel.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:01 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by DumHed:
small size (12mL from memory)

I have seen 12g CO2 cartridges before (gasses that have been compresed to a liquide are measured by weight, not volume)
I though pockect blow torches were refilable only.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I would like to see as many "off the shelf" parts as possible being used in any flame thrower. Storage volumes should reflect whatever is readily commercially available.

Extraction fans and fire extinquishers would be needed for the arena.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:46 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

From Jake's liquid butane ideas in the Brisbane RoboWars thread.

I beleive it is more the liquid in flame throwers that will be the problem. My gas only flame thrower has less of a problem with flames excaping through gaps in the wall then a liquid based flame thrower. I also will be less likely to set the wooden and painted floor on fire as the gas based flames will rise away from the floor where as a liquid based flame thrower will drop. I have also found it hard to damage a sheet of polycarb so far. I guess liquid butane will have more of a sticking effect and would damage the walls. After all we will be moving during a fight and not attacking the walls itself. If we hit the walls it would only be for a second or two.
Also I am having troble with liquid butane traveling into the piping from the tank (I'm making a boil off coil this weekend). This causes a problem beacuse the flame doesn't shut off instantly and will keep burning for up to 6-7 seconds. Deffently not safe. Any liquid butane in the system after the valves will continue to boil off and causing a flame from the gas leaving the system. And before you get the idea of using it as a pilot light, these are also against the rules.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:20 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I was thinking of using a car type petrol injector to turn the gas on and off, nice atomising spray, no residue to keep burning, heat resistant, cheap and plentiful. Put liquid butane into it and it will vaporise very quickly. Smile

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:35 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yep I've done that and it works well Smile

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

How much residue does it leave on the target?

Can it be ignited without the use of an external pilot light?

How long does it take for the flame to die down after it is turned off?

What sort of flash back protection can you use?

Its best not to give some kid these un-safe ideas. We don't know everyone who reads these forums.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:34 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Not much

yes

almost instant

not necessary

maybe Smile

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Its best not to give some kid these un-safe ideas. We don't know everyone who reads these forums.

Personally, I take exception to this type of statement.. "Think of the Kids !" is such an emotional push-button that has been used by every "moral right" group, that its like a waving a red flag to me.

Nobody ever got hurt by reading something or looking at a screen. Information is not dangerous. Ignorance is.

If parents and other do-gooders think that *any* information should be supressed to save their precious little jonny from sticking his head in the lawnmower blades while its running, then perhaps they should be thinking about actually teaching their kids to use their heads for thinking about consequences of their actions, instead of trying to keep "bad" thoughts out of their brain.

Its a big bad world out there, and the sooner they learn that their brain is there to help keep them alive (if they use it properly) the better. Fitting Blinkers to their minds will just ensure that they never saw the truck that hit them. Education is the answer, not censorship.

Sorry to rant a bit, but is a strong point of principle with me. Nothing personal against you guys.. I understand your concern about minors getting in trouble.. help them learn how not to..

and to any kids who are reading, Fire is dangerous stuff .

If you dont know about flashpoints, vapourisation, specific gravity, different types of extinguishers for different fuels, flashback prevention, potential ignition sources, correct first aid techniques for burns and to stop and think *three* times before starting a fire, you should be learning *more* before you even light a match. Fire has no failsafe.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

*goes outside and sprays butane down antholes, lights butane and blows up house* Laughing
Although i'm not making one, what liquids are accepted?
As far as i know its usualy butane, but didn't green eye silver dragon use petrol? Confused
ROFL insane idea, what about a hydrogen powered flipper which uses combustion to flip opponants? Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:02 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
ROFL insane idea, what about a hydrogen powered flipper which uses combustion to flip opponants?

At Team Vertex HQ, we ran through that idea a good year or two ago Razz 2-stroking with scavenging was the only way we could see it working correctly without the need for an oxidiser in the fuel.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:37 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

It is my understanding of the rules that no liquid is to purposly leave the robot (from memory the two sections are that liquids cannot be used as a weapon and I remember a possible old rule about liquid fules for flame throwers). To me a liquified gas is still a liquid and therefor cannot leave the robot as a liquid.
On a saftey note, we do not conduct any testing of the flame thrower without at least two people present, one of whom is carrying a suitable fire extinguisher. And yes, we have both had training in first-aid, including how to treat both minor aand major burns.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats my understanding too.. The idea is not to leave puddles of burning liquid on the floor (or the other robot).

@Kero's: From what I know you guys, I'm sure you would be sensible people when it comes to playing with fire.

I like the idea of not lighting up without two people present.. Good Move.. There's nothing like a second pair of eyes to save you from a mistake or prevent it in the first place.. Smile

My comments were aimed at those impressionable young fellas.. Smile

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WiperMotor

Sorry to kick up another topic
But

How about you had another robot in the arena with a fire extinguisher or something else attached to it put out fires? Question

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn’t it be dangerous walking into the arena with a fire extinguisher?

I dunno, just my thoughts, I don't know much about this yet Wink

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:43 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

No more dangerous than dealing with any other stuck bot.

flame extinguisher bot is also *way* slower than a person, and the dry powder extinguishers that seem to work best on robot fires are single use only.

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number