www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

ROFLChopter, Woktronix - DumBots - NSW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

ROFLChopter, Woktronix - DumBots - NSW

Well I don't think I'll bother fixing ROFLchopter, although I might use the chassis in a later robot.

I'm going to be experimenting with a few ideas for high powered flippers, and possibly hydraulic clamps soon, but I'm going to throw together a full body spinner type bot first up cos it'll be quick and easy.

I'm planning on using scooter drive setups, or drill motors, and probably the same sort of control system as ROFLchopter to begin with, so I can keep using my $30 radio set - unless I manage to find my old 6 channel set soon.

Last edited by DumHed on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Well I've found a nice solid armour / spinner to use, and hopefully my motors will arrive this week so I'll be in business Smile

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

fixing the car instead for now Razz

Blew a turbo gasket at the race track on monday, and since it's such an annoying job I'll chuck in the new computer, ignition system, and injectors while I'm at it Smile

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:28 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I dont think Turbocharged Street Cars would be allowed in the featherweight class Razz

And if you have one of those Rice-Boy style waste-gates that go "Pitui-whoosh" as loudly as possible, then We'll sick Lawn-Mower onto it in punishment for the wank-factor.

otherwise, nice to hear about your vehicle.. good to see theres another Rev-Head out there, although I'm into Classic Metal (Valiant Charger) rather than modern-plastic.

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

ahh, mine's about half way between metal and plastic Smile

It's a Nissan Silvia (S13), and is completely a no rice zone Smile
There's not a sticker on it, and nothing shiney at all - not even the exhaust is shiney!

The whole car's built how I build everything - all the wrong parts bolted together in a way that works Smile
There are not many factory bits left on it, but the end result is a car that owes me about 8 grand, but outruns BMW M3s and Porsches on the track Cool

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:48 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

well since I've been busy fixing car stuff I haven't done anything on the robot, but today my scooter motors finally turned up, so next week I'll get started on putting something together!

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:22 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Well, today's the first day of any real work happening on my new bot.
What? the comp's tomorrow? Razz

I'm going to have to re use the control setup from ROFLchopter, which is not too bad as it did work quite well.
I was hoping to have my 100% custom solid state PWM speed control setup working, but I've been too busy...

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Were those the 100w kits from Oatley? Still waiting for mine after a month...

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:21 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

nah this is a custom thing using a PIC processor, driven directly from the pulse stream coming out of the radio receiver, before it gets sent to the decoder chip to separate the channels.

It then uses the PIC to decode up to 9 channels, do mixing, flipping, etc and generates the PWM output to drive the FET H-bridges.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:53 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry, I meant the 100w scooter motor and wheel kit, sorry for the confusion Embarassed .

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:05 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

ahhh Smile

nope, I couldn't fit the motors in the current chassis, so they'll be used next time Smile

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:21 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

well, the Wok worked ok considering it was a one day job Smile

Problems were wheels coming loose (needed a good dousing in epoxy I think), and the occasional bit of radio interference causing one servo to go slightly further than normal, binding up the servo horn, and getting out of whack once it re centered.
I had the problem in ROFLchopter during testing, but not during competition.
Maybe I should have put caps on the motors like last time Razz

I'm a bit worried about the wok's durability when taking big hits from spinning bars like Basilisk's, but it seemed to be impervious to saws! Sorry made some visible scratches, but they can't even be felt on the cast iron surface, which seems to be very hard, and gives low friction.
Seeing this as future potential I opted out of an end-of-day sacrificial grudge match with Basilisk and/or Plan-B Smile

The drill motors give pretty good speed even with the small wheels, and don't have to work hard at all pushing the <6kg robot around.

The weapon motor was only running at 12v (it's a 24v motor), and I can fit an extra battery pack for it while still remaining under 6kg, so I might try that next time.
I'm pretty impressed with the motor's efficiency though, spinning up the heavy chain flail pretty quickly considering the motor's small size and very low power consumption.

If I can have it running at 24v, and put some weights on the end of the chain it should do a bit of damage, especially to other 6kg bots!

My next one is looking to be using scooter drives, and having either a hammer type weapon, or a very powerful flipper.

I'd also kinda like to do a stupidly powerful rammer Smile

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:17 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

On the subject of 6kg bots, I'm looking at building one and I believe Glen might also be interested, maybe we could get a small 6kg class going.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah screwy might just make its glorius return with the retirement of aurora Razz

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

u bum glen,
so is it now 3 kg robots r a no no. well if so i can build a 6kg class. we just need to keep a class then a maybe then when people build it just go oh never mind then.

i have parts for a 6kg robot no probs. just tell me this. will me make this a official weight class (or fun weight thing, whatever) and actually keep them going or will it be like 3 kg robots and just fade out.

Thansk for help guys.
I will have one built i hope as well.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:10 pm