www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

tank treads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

or you could use a chainsaw engine with a clutch and throw out the flimsy ass flywheel sprocket and the engine has a diaphram carby so you can run it in any orientation..

do yourself a favour and read all of this man...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=BattleBot_Tech&msg=12376.1&maxT=8

yeah you have to register for the forums to view that.. do you need instructions on that lol

and this one too for general 2 stroke info...

http://home.howstuffworks.com/chainsaw.htm

you know it makes me wonder how you could possibly fit an electric start onto a smallish 2 stroke motor in a featherweight really. i cant see how you could possibly attach a pulley to the motor shaft whilst still using the start adaptor... all i could think of would be belt drive off the shaft which then connects to the start adaptor, and none the less getting an electric motor powerful enough to crank the engine would be an endeavor, my 14.4v drill didnt have the speed for it... and in the end youd be better off ditching the ICE and just making the motor more massive and using that to power the weapon... and thus ending my rant on starters Razz

btw stop with the double posting, its starting to piss me off now lol seriously

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

My advice is to forget about an ic powered bot unles you have experiance or have a team member who has extensive experiance.
I am a small engine repairer and i havent event atempted to put an i/c motor in a feather weight i have pleanty to chose form as well .We have one in our heavy weight .they take a lot of engenering to set them up properly and make them reliable .For a first time build i would sugest that you build a drill powered robot with mabee a saw or a small spinning bar. Mabe set the robot up so you can puit interchangable wheapons in it etc .As for tracks if you feel confident to build them then go for it but rember they must be reliable and also able to take punshiment with out falling off .Even a flipper type robot is achiavable with limited knoledge .what ever you decide research it thourouly first .Google is your library at you finger tips . Very Happy

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:15 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Thats a very ambitious project u are attempting willy,
especially as u seem to have difficulty building whats called a PARAGRAPH.

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:31 am 
wilko

ur not listening i hav to do it my way or i'll need 2 engines and i do have experience i make ptrol powered minibikes

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:56 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
ur not listening i hav to do it my way or i'll need 2 engines and i do have experience i make ptrol powered minibikes

No, you're the one not listening. Here you have people on these forums, who have large amounts of experience in various fields, and your ignoring their advice!

Totaly_Recycled has worked with IC motors for well over 20 years, he's worked on things from huge 500HP industrial motors down to 1/2HP wiper snippers. He's suggest to you to go for an electric drive system for your first robot. I would take that advice. For $50 you can have a full electric drive train built for a robot, with a hell of a lot less hassle then going IC.

quote:
and for the feul tank i'll hav it pivoting so the tank stays level all the time

It's also obvious you know SFA about wiper snipper motors, they use a diaphram carburetta, just like a chainsaw and can work at nearly any angle. There is no need to make a tank to pivot. This is the exact same fuel system as hobby RC planes which do aerobatics without stalling or having "pivoting fuel tanks"...

And while I'm on a n00b bashing session, stop double posting! Just use the edit button on your previous post and add some more text, I'm getting sick of seeing all your half a line of text posts one after the other! Evil or Very Mad

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:14 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Hmmm I think I see a pattern here. Confused

Wilko asks about tracks and we unanimously explain that they are not a good chose for a first time combat featherweight.
He suggests ICE for drive and gets the same response.
Then the idea of using the one ICE for both drive and spinner weapon and gets the thumbs down.
Fertiliser bombs and I m going out on a limb here but I think none or us would wont them at our regular events. Ultibots excepted where the Rotwang Rever was possibly going to deploy them.

2 possibilities either Wilko is a genius and we are trying to con him and steal his Ideas or Wilko loves asking Questions just to drive us nuts when he ignores our advice! Very Happy

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:39 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hmm.. Tracks, & Ice Drives, countdown to the Walker Questions ?
Perhaps we're being Trolled here ? Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/troller.htm

@Wilko: If you choose to ask people for their advice, thats good, many will help. If you choose to ignore that advice and go your own way and make your own mistakes, thats fine too, its your bot.

But if you choose to ask for peoples advice, receive it, and then say publicly on a forum that you're going to ignore their advice and do your own thing without any explanation of why, you have to expect that people will get offended at your lack of appreciation of their time to try and help.

Minibikes dont get rammed, pounded on, hammered, spiked, flipped, belted with 200km/hr chunks of steel, start and stop moving in different directions 10 times in 2 seconds with another bike sitting on top of them or any of the things that a combat robot has to deal with every moment of a fight.

ICE engines are not well suited to this type of application. They're not even that good as weapon motors without a lot of finessing, since they dont particularly like going from 5000rpm to zero in 1/2 second either. They dont tolerate hundreds of G's shocks well either. One of the biggest most experienced (& expensive) robot teams in the world (Whyachi) couldnt keep their *twin* ice motor powered remote-start capable bot running reliably enough to finish most fights with the motor still ticking.

But hey, theres a first time for everything, go ahead, prove us all wrong, but dont expect us to tell you its a good idea to try and do it on your first bot.

Oops, I bit at the Troll Bait too.. Laughing

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Hi wilco .
most of us are only trying to help you and we al hve had experiance at building these robots .Trying to put two ic mototrs in a feather weight just wont work unles you are going to use rc plane engines that would need a huge amount of gearing to be of any use .

Have a read through all the build threads of all the builders on here and learn from their experiances and mistakes .

If you want any advise on building most of us are happy to talk with you useing the Private mesageinjg system just click on the PM button at the bottom of the builders post and ask them what you need to know .
A few of us are just geting anoyed at all the questions cluttering up the threads that have already been covered in other threads and you only need to type in key words in the search engine to find them .

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:47 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

how heavy is the god damn thing going to be i mean if we think about it 1 ic engine for drives with gearbox and fuel= alot of weight taken up just driveing the thing, not to mention you need armor and frame to bolt it it.
im building a spinner and it's taken me 3/4 of a year (working time) to get it to this stage.
im looking at haveing to cut down on armor or spend big money on ti plating to keep it in weight range and im using electric motors.

i thought a bout ic motors in my utlra bot (and yes to combat rotwangs reaver im gonna make a seige tank Laughing more effective) but it's wouldn't be worth it in the long run just look at small rc tanks and see how much of the weight is made up in the gearbox then scale it up for the equivelent size and weight.

Also We were all noobs once BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT THE ULTIMATE GUIDE THAT SPOCKIE TECH HAS MADE or you be getting a smalll mesage for one of em, failing that google it, failing that then ask

and you guys ease up a little i know you hate answering the same question over and over but we don't need to beat him in here if he manages to turn up at an arena lock his robot in there with jolt Very Happy
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:35 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Also worth pointing out is almost all (if not all) IC robots i know have the bulk of their engines exposed and often the slightest bump will stop them running, or damage them irrepairably! HMm of the top of my head... icewave, ronin, minion... lol electric is so much more suited for this sport!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:49 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Also worth pointing out is almost all (if not all) IC robots i know have the bulk of their engines exposed and often the slightest bump will stop them running, or damage them irrepairably! HMm of the top of my head... icewave, ronin, minion... lol electric is so much more suited for this sport!

Vertex has it's IC motor hidden away quite nicely Wink

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:27 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

LOL it is a heavyweight lol... incedently could you post a pic? I've never seen the all fabled vertex Very Happy
lol

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:00 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Not much to look at, but I'll try to recover some images of it, lost a shat load of them during a emergency format of 320GB of HDD space Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:04 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

so the fabled vertex becomes a legend and from legend to myth where peple gathered round a smoldering bot talk about a robot that had it IC engine internally Very Happy
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:59 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

all he has to do is rock over here with the camera Very Happy

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:07 pm