www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Mytqik - "That Thing" - Mytqik & Neighbour - Q

Author    Thread
mytqik

Mytqik - "That Thing" - Mytqik & Neighbour - Q

Well,

I am still in China at the moment, so only thing that is taking place at the moment is modeling different robots in Solidworks & trying to decide upon my weapon(s) of choice.

So far I have decided upon a track bot which is invertable with a weapon that can work upside down. Maybe a flipper that can throw a robot 3m in the air, now I have done the calculations. Very Happy

I am also toying with the idea of using stainless steel flyscreen mesh inplace of fibreglass for armour. I will have to experiment to see how strong/brittle this combintion would be, but I am hoping that the s/s mesh will clog any saw that tries to cut it, while the resin will provide a degree of flex to absorb blows from spinners.

I will post a rendered image of the design, once i have finished.

Last edited by mytqik on Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:12 pm 
mytqik

Well I was little bored today, so I modelled the metal chassis of my invertable push wedge bot. Something simple for my first attempt with no active weapon.

Well i managed to get the complete chassis down to under 2kg. I then put it into a FEA (finite element analysis) package & simulated it falling 10m & coming to a dead stop.

The results are pretty impressive. It has a Factor of safety of 4, which means unless someone can flip my bot 40m in the air, the chassis should surrvive Smile Dont know about the rest of it.

I will have to see how the 6mm UHMW armour goes. I am trying to source some nice green UHMW, it is the abrasion & cut resistant version.

I will add a picture, once I work it out. Help anyone?

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:15 am 
mytqik

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=151
This one is a 50kg force hitting midframe. You can see the green on the frame where the load is applied.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=153
This one is simulating falling 10m & landing on the point of the top right hand corner. It shows that it will flex but return to its original shape.

The deflection is scalled up 1000 times so that you can see it. Blue means it will flex but return to its original shape, green is on the limit of bending & red is failure. You can see that in the first one the lower corner has a green colour to it. i should try & strengthen it up a bit more, but I am running out of weight.

This chassis is made out of 20x2mm Flat bar & is fully welded. As it is shown it only weighs 2kg.

Last edited by mytqik on Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:34 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

For some reason, the inline [img] tag doesnt work with the photo album.. I havent figured out why yet, if I cant sort it out, I might change photo album software.

In the meantime, use the [url] tag, which will cause the photo to open in a new window when you click on it. I've edited your message links accordingly.

regards

Brett

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mytqik

Thanks Brett.

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:44 pm 
mytqik

well nothing to report on the robot side of things. i have however packed up 60kg of boxes & couried them home. Just a remeinder to everybody, you can not send CD's or DVD's in or out of the country by post or courier, So my colection of DVD got stopped. Oh well into the hand luggage they go.

Thats about it for thios useless post, I look forward to meeting my fellow QLD builders on the 1st & can't wait until I have my bot ready to compete.

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:48 pm 
mytqik

Well I am finally home &upacked. To my surprise the TIG welder I brought back from China is the next spec level up, which means I can now weld Aluminium, not just Mild & Stainless Steel. I can also do titanium.

So I am madly redesigning the frame using aluminium to cut weight. Because of the weight saving, I am now adding a heater fan driven drum, with hardened teeth, Helios style.

Just need some radio gear & I will be set.

I will post some pictures when available.

Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:54 am 
mytqik

I took the plunge

Well today I officailly became a bot builder. I am no longer a gunna.

Bunnings had a slae on in Ipswich (Ekka show day) & had the XUI 12V drills down to $17.00. I also picked up those handy red wheels for $4each & some castor wheel that may come in handy some day.

So I now have 4 drills, 6 red wheels & a couple of castors. All I need now is alot of duct tape & a radio & I have a 4 wheel drive sticky bot Laughing

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:29 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Congratulations on taking the plunge.

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:12 am 
mytqik

My TIG is alive

Well after ginning around for half a day trying to get a chinese gas flow regulator to mate up with an Australian gas bottle, I bought a new regulator.

The TIG works like a charm. Much easier to use than I thought it would be. The high frequency gets a bit taxing on eyes, & low frequency produces very pretty welds. Vertical ups will take a bit to master, but all in all I am a happy chappy.

If andrew is looking at holding an event in September, then I had better go & buy some steel & start fabricating. I am still going with the original push/wedge/invertable idea, with the possiblity of adding a flipper when I get better at driving.

Well that is all that has happened since last time. Look forward to my next exciting update. Same Bot time, Same Bot channel. (showing my age now).

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:34 pm 
mytqik

Well the chassis is complete. I will post a pick here when I can find a digital camera. It is actually made out of 50x3mm Flat MS, so it is a bit heavier than I originally antcipated. But since we are going up to 13.6kg then I figure I should be ok.

It is fairly strong too, I drove the car over it (96 Falcon) & it didn't bend so that must be something. It also means I have a spare wheel chock if I loose the other two I have here.

I am planning on having a complete bot in time for MM4, so I am now designing some good drill motor mounts. The famous bunnings red wheels are going to be fully supported from both side & then have a coupling between the gearbox & the axle.

As for armour I am still trying to track down some industrial UHMW plastic or even some ceramic re-inforced nylon. I have used both before as wear resistant linings to chutes & bins in quarries. Lasts 2-3 times longer than steel & is more slippery too, so material doesn't get hung up on it when wet.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:03 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by mytqik:
It is fairly strong too, I drove the car over it (96 Falcon) & it didn't bend so that must be something. It also means I have a spare wheel chock if I loose the other two I have here.

You scare me.

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:26 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Lol, Andrew did the same thing when we had just made Annihilation's chassis. He didn't tell me till weeks later, I nearly had a heart attack Shocked

Hows the rest of the robot coming along Randal, got those mounts sorted yet?

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:53 am 
mytqik

Well in the ultimate respect to my wife & her constant referal to my creation as "that thing", I have offically names my wedge bot:

"That Thing"

I hope she isn't too offended Laughing

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:39 pm 
mytqik

well "That Thing" now has a rolling chassis. I spent most of the day making axle's & axle mounts for it. I have mounted the wheels on a seperate axle to the gearbox, and I am using a "special" adaptor between the the axle & gearbox. This allows me to change a damaged motor very quickly. It also means that the gearbox output shaft is carrying no load.

As I still dont have a digital camera, everyone will have to wait until MM4 to see it.

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:47 pm