81%  [ 9 ]
no
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

I wish someone would just go and test the myth Twisted Evil That would solve all the hassles of people arguing about who is theoretically right and blah blah blah....

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

the fun is bringing up little extra things outside the scope of the question!

like the effect the massive moving runway would have on the air above it, and therefor on the plane trying to take off. The runway should generate some headwind, making it easyier for the plane to take off.

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:58 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

So what would happen if the pilot hit the ejector seat button.
Would he go straight up or would he go up and backwards?

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:10 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

As someone pointed out, the problem is the question is badly worded.

"Plane speed" and "the plane moves" are too vague, and there are too many unspecified variables.

It depends on whether you are referring to ground speed, relative to a ground-stationary observer, what the wind is doing.

The plane could be doing 100km/hr ground speed, but with a tail-wind high enough to reduce its *airspeed* below its stall point, it wont take off.

It could be doing 20km/hr into the wind and easily take off.

Assuming the wind to be nil, "plane movement" to refer to ground speed. the plane will take off exactly as normal, the only effect will be that the wheels will be doing twice the apparent ground velocity of the plane.

@George. Again. relative to the ground, he would follow a ballistic arc... relative to the plane (ignoring wind drag), he would go straight up.

think of the old analogy of playing ping pong on a train. Its all about frames of reference and velocity vectors.. stuff your average person isnt used to thinking in

Asking vague questions with trick wording sure is good to get everyone thinking.. Smile

Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

ok i my opinion (right or wrong) this way might make it take off (this may be what your getting at), picture your rear wheel driven car and a dino putting the rear wheels on the dino and letting it build up speed than hitting the breaks on the dino rollers and watching the car shoot forward at whatever speed they were testing it at the same could be said bout the plane.

let it build up to take off speed then hit breaks on conveyr belt launch the sucker that way Very Happy .
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:30 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

yep crappy question wording
australian robot ppls are 100% correct
damn we are just so smart eh

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

damn straight Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:31 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

No. Wrong.
The car on a dyno would all come down to momentum. An object at rest will tend to stay at rest while an object in motion will tend to stay in motion. So on and so forth.
What you are looking at here is momentum. Momentum = mass * velocity. A car at rest (relative to the ground) spinning its wheels on a dyno will posses only a small amount of momentum in the form of rotational momentum in the wheels (and transmision and bits in the engine). Rotational momentum = moment of inertia * angular velocity. If the brakes are suddenly applied to the dyno the total momentum of the wheels will only bring the speed of the combined mass of the car and wheels up to only a fraction of that at what the dyno was reading.
If you don't believe me read this: http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/momentum/u4l1a.html
So with the aircraft on a conveyer (if you still beieve that an aircraft is driven through its wheels and not by propellers/jets) the mass of the wheels compared to the total mass of the aircraft is almost insignifcant and the aircraft would bearly move at all if the breakes where suddenly aplied even if you ignore the losses through friction.

Sorry for the spelling but I'am tired.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

if the brakes did grip and the tires also griped the conveyor then the plane would suddenly be launched back wards as the conveyor is susposed to be going in the opposite direction lol

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:52 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Will this plane take off?

No, because I'm going to steal the motors out of it so it can't Razz

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:58 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
if the brakes did grip and the tires also griped the conveyor then the plane would suddenly be launched back wards as the conveyor is susposed to be going in the opposite direction lol

oh yeah but i was refering to the fact the wheels would still be turning and the convayer belt would stop.

anyone got an ultra light willing to test this out? Cool

as for the car on a dino i remember this seing this one car after after just that had happened.
story goes:
the car was being tested and the dino locked up and the car went sailing racing forward into the wall 20 meters across the room.
mind you this was one of those ricer tune up job with bugger all weight and F$%K loads of horsepower.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:22 pm 
cerberus3112

the plane would take off because i pushed it Razz

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:38 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Big AL:
anyone got an ultra light willing to test this out? Cool

I had one for about 5 years.

I didnt land or take off from any conveyer belts Laughing, but I did do lots of up and on occasion down-wind landings/take-offs and turns and observe ground speeds vs wind speeds etc, so I figure I'm qualified to have an authoritive opinion..
Wink

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Nice modified boat trailer you have there Brett Laughing

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:47 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Actually the trailer I built for it looked more like a boat.

Someone called it a "mobile hangar" once, but it was a PITA to tow with anything less than a land-cruiser..

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:52 pm