www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

How do I use a Wireless PS2 controller to control my robot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Can you use a wireless PS2 controller to control a robot?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Actually, on the topic of fancy radios and custom stuff...

I noticed in a Nintendo Wii video of a guy driving a RC car from his computer, he was using the RS323 serial connected through the trainer port on a DX6... Now instead of Jake having to do all that complex work of making his own 900mhz radio and IBC brain transplant to run with the computer gear, he could just tap into a DX6 from the laptop and run his software through the Spektrum gear... I doubt that telemetry would be possible, but it would take a lot of the complications out of making and maintaining your own custom radio...

Just strip down a DX6, put it into a Jaycar jiffy box and run your show through the spektrum's 2.4Ghz... Cool

Then again, this would be way too simple for Jake... Laughing

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:45 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLFHbbSo6CI&eurl=

That's the video.. Was posted in the off topic section by aliboy

EDIT: more here - http://www.schoeppl.info/en/software/wiimote-rc-car-control/wiimote-rc-car-control.aspx
http://www.schoeppl.info/en/electronic/control-rc-car-with-pc/control-rc-car-with-pc.aspx

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:49 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Heh so we have.

Wii Remote --> Custom Bluetooth --> PC+Program --> Serial RS-232 --> Microcontroller + Program --> Spektrum Radio --> Vehicle.

Cute, but as a practical matter, I think just picking up the Spektrum and driving would be a lot easier.. Wink

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

There is a product (ready made or as a kit) I have found that will let you use a PS2 controller to control either relays or a Picaxe thingy. The channels are presetup for certain useage. (6 channels)
Was going to order one in a few weeks when some funds come in. Was going to make something to basically annoy the dog with, looked pretty good and price is right but when you are broke, you are broke. Will put up a post in about a month when have it and have tested it. Price was $35US as a kit or 50 premade. Just add the controller.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:23 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Heh so we have.

Wii Remote --> Custom Bluetooth --> PC+Program --> Serial RS-232 --> Microcontroller + Program --> Spektrum Radio --> Vehicle.

Cute, but as a practical matter, I think just picking up the Spektrum and driving would be a lot easier.. Wink

I was thinking about skipping the Wiimote... Looking at it for like what Jake is doing, his nifty program is pretty flexible and the xbawks controller setup is nice for those gamer people. Just use the DX6 for the radio side of things, instead of all the custom stuff...

It could be:

Xbawks controller --> PC+Program --> Serial RS-232 --> Microcontroller + Program --> Spektrum Radio --> Vehicle

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:37 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

You still have to lug the PC/Notebook, a little Microcontroller Circuit board, the XBox controller, various cables, connectors and power supplies, AND the Spektrum Radio around.

All that just to change the standard radio joysticks into Xbox joysticks ?

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing Jake seems to manage fine, and you can't beat the "wank" factor! Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:11 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Next version is looking like it may well be bluetooth
so
xbox > program > bluetooth
(bluetooth is via usb but eh)

that or the nordic stuff again, theres some cheapie dev boards at sparkfun which look good.

I'd like to get that zigbee module going, uses gcc and such like and is a 2 way radio in a ~ wide 20 pin dip sized package with 22 spare IO pins and 4 ADC's.
Downside is no hardware PWM's and I don't know if you can rely on the interrupts being jitter free enough as the zigbee stack is interrupt based.

So its looking like perhaps a umirf nordic chip, 64 pin smt PIC (just for the ass factor with all the ADC's etc) then into the driver.
For the beetle weights I was looking at a 3 A dual H-bridge in something that looks like 2 TO-220's side by side. with any luck and a lithium battery pack should only need a 7805 and a few thermocouples for a dern small and wanked to the max controller ;->

My current controller is
xbox > usb hub > pc/sw > rs232 > radio

the usb hub is needed because the radio pulls its power off the usb +5V line, with one of the ftdi chips then you can ditch the rs232 and go usb all the way.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Bluetooth + speed controller on one board for a beetle sounds very interesting Cool Maybe even take the plug and play motto to a new level.... Pair & Play Cool

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i'd think prey and prey would be more apt ;->
prey the radio gets through and prey the bot works ;->

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
wilko

i found a web page on how to build an rc helicopter and controling it by putting a usb on the end of an xbox controller and plugging it straight in to his laptop, then using a usb blutooth transmitter with a reciever in the chopper. i also foud a hack on either hackaday or makezine (cant remember wich one) for making the blutooth range as faras 500 feet

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:37 pm 
wilko

www.pabr.org/chromicro/doc/chromicro.en.html
www.hackaday.com/2004/10/22/boost-bluetooth-a-lot/

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:44 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol thats exactly how jake does it i understand.

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:44 pm 
wilko

do u need to use linux or could u use microsoft operating system?

also could u do this with just the cpu board and a reciever or do u need the works?

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:28 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

It's much cheaper (read: free) to use linux, than using a propriety OS such as microsoft, which would cost a few hundred dollars for MS CE (palmtop version). Then you would have to write some pretty funky drivers, using limited information, to try to get it to work.

The advantage of linux is that it is already being used in embeded computing such as modems, wnd all the information is easy to get. Just compile your own kernel on a CF card and whack it in. Then all you have to do is write some funky drivers, or by the looks of it, they are written for you.

However, this is a very expensive way of going about things, I personally wouldn't want a computer sitting inside something that will be dropped, flipped, drilled, axed and in some events attacked with a flamethrower.

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:42 pm