www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

Oh deary me Nick. Mister money himself.

Personally a featherweight is a small robot and thus cheaper than larger stuff. If a motor is over 3 then i dont really want it i think. especially just for drive.

U can go for it though. SHould be interesting.

Cant wait to see yoru thingaps going again

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:44 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Well, I haven't decided yet - it depends on how many XU1 motors I break at the Annhilator. If I get away with no losses due to breaking the pins, then I will just stay with the cheapo XU1 - I have to think about my Lightweight Artemis too - it has 4 XU1 motors in it.

BTW: does anyone know what the HTI motor mentioned is like? It looks like a hot version of the 550 motor, but I never heard of it before.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:24 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

It got me curious as well and did a search and found a 550 with a larger back section housing larger brushs claiming it will last 2.5 times longer than normal. Worth looking into further, couldnt get prices.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:02 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

they do look pretty but really in the end is it really worth paying so much for an rs-550 drive train?

the dewalt setups from team delta arent too expensive IIRC (well in comparison to some other types) only like $160 per setup and they are far superior in all respects, the power is through the roof, the gearboxes are way better in that they are stronger and are 2 speeds.

why not look at the makita drills? the big daddy versions have absolutely awesome power. i know 2 of the motors power a 4kg 7000rpm disc on VD3 with spectactular results.

as far as im concerned the XU1 is just to get me on my feet, while im learning to build a reliable competitive robot, when i can do that im hoping to jump up to the 18v dewalts.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm, Interesting comparison: SS2 vs Delta's Dewalt kit

Exactly the same price @ $ 165 US (my mistake before)

The Dewalt is slightly lighter at 1.01 Kg

The Dewalt is roughly twice as powerful (its hard to compare their figures)

The SS2 has better mounting options

The SS2 has no plastic in the gearbox

They have the same style axle at the same hieght, so the same wheel options apply.

The dewalt requires an extra bearing on the far side of the axle, which adds build complexity and reverses the weight bonus the SS2 has built-in dual output bearings

The dewalt is the same hight and a little narrower. the SS2 is shorter than the Dewalt (I think)

The SS2 uses cheap replaceable motors.

All-up they are extremely close. I would pick either one depending on the specific application: Dewalt for a pushy bot, the SS2 for an easy-build active weapon bot.

The dewalt gearbox really wories me. Sites like team mad cow, mention how easily they crack.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:36 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

With all this talk about gear boxes and motors I feel that for the money the xu1 gear boxes are realy a rugged little package .. considering that they are desighned basicly for drills that are limited in torque by the batteries they use . They are also protected from instant foward reverse in the drill s by the desighn of the reverse switch in the trigger which cant be switched unles the trigger is in the stop position .
We robeteers on the other hand ..... mount them in a bot stick on a wheel and add 12 kgs or more side load on the shaft that wasnt desghned for much side loading at all only foward thrust .. we then stick a powerfull battery behind them that doesnt fade when loaded like te origional battery .. then we hit them up on full power then screech them to a stop under full reverse power some people even stick 24 volts into them which would nearly quadruple the toque the little toy gear boxes take it in their stride well for a while till something breaks which from reading recent posts seems to be the pins that hold the gears .. so far we havent broke any but we have ony started converting from compresor motors and gears to the drills and havent fully worked them to their limits yet .. im stil working on makeing a shock coupling to be fitted betwen the drive shaft and the wheel which would help to absorb a litle of the instant loading from direction changes .. but havent built one yet as the room is limitd on the shafts .... just my two bobs woth on the drill gear bowes .. if you split the cost of the dril which is about $20 then say $5 for the bat $5 for the motor $5 for the gear box and $5 for the trigger chuck plastic case packaging and charger ect .. i think For about $5 these toy gear boxes cant be beaten

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:15 pm 
chris

Good points andrew. For raven I intend on putting 4 or 6 XU1 drills into it and having a ball..... on 24v lol.
Anyways, does anyone know if any of the drill gearboxes available on robotcombat.com will fit on the end of a standard 550?
thanks from Chris

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:59 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Unfortunately, the only gearbox on RCM that takes an RS550 is that new SS2 setup. You can also adapt an RS550 to the Team Whyachi T-Box gearbox (which costs more) there is a tutorial on the Team Madoverlord site.

Good luck with fitting 6 XU1 drills @ 24V into a featherweight Jeff F has 6 in his bot Singularity and last I heard, it weighed 16Kg Smile

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:05 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Good luck with fitting 6 XU1 drills @ 24V into a featherweight Jeff F has 6 in his bot Singularity and last I heard, it weighed 16Kg

Its down to about 13 now . . . .
Taken a lot to get it there though, it now looks like swiss cheese and will only have a wood/dogmesh/weldmesh top. If only my sponser hadnt decided that $220 US was too much to spend on batteries, no logo's for him . . .

On that note, Singularitys still going to be using the two big (way too big, excuse the pun) 7AH SLA's. Ive strenghened the chassis so it shouldnt bend like it did last time (the front bend did look cool though Smile). Relay controllers will be rebuilt with new realys, I did a smoke test on these ones, dead shorting the SLA's though it, the batteries went flat and the wires burned but the relay remained in a working state, so *hopefully* they wont blow up at the event like the last ones did, killing my reverse drive. I did think about using mosfets, but with only one week before it needs to be going, I deceided against it because of its higher complexity.

Also . . . may be teaming up with jake and his bot for the tag . . . . . . YAY

ffej.net

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

What happened to those brilliant el cheapo chinese NiMH packs you were raving on about? Wink

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:52 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hats off to Jeff, I'm impressed you can get 2 SLA's and 6 drills down to 13Kg! Sounds like you a second sponsor Smile

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:53 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:
What happened to those brilliant el cheapo chinese NiMH packs you were raving on about? Wink

I would be using them, but I only have 2, and one of them is semi-cooked thanks to me setting up the charger wrongly and making the cells gas, and my brother setting it alight.
I asked him to go and get it for me, telling him specificly to make sure he didnt let it short, next thing I hear is a lot of creative language coming from the house. 10 minutes later he comes down to the shead, where I had nearly finished Catalyst for Marayong V, shows me the pack and starts apoligeses profusely. Turns out that the shorting pack set the wire alight, which then set the cardboard around the cells on fire. The heat coming from the battery bars also melted a grid ino the teflon wrap. It still goes, but has a slightly lower capacity.
Being "samples", the company wont sell me any more unless I want to order 500
Also, glens claimed them for the annihilator and tag team.

quote:
Hats off to Jeff, I'm impressed you can get 2 SLA's and 6 drills down to 13Kg!

At least I hope its around that, I dont know if I should trust my dodgy old scales.

ffej.net

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

If in doubt, throw the 7amps out Smile Run two 4.2ampers instead.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:14 pm 
chris

Glen, where did you get these NiMH packs from.. imean what web site or phone number or whatever

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:24 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

For the CAD designers

I came across this site and thought it would be helpfull to anyone that uses 3D CAD package for designing their bots.

http://mdmetric.com/

It hasd a lot of specs for Metric Nuts & bolts, etc. like weight
I haven't looked at the hole site yet.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:16 am