Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:47 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

No, it's gonna be pink Laughing

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:05 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yes, stealth pink!

I'm actually considering not painting it, cos it looks tough in raw metal and doesn't get scratched up while working on it and transporting.

It's not so stealthy, but hey at least I'll be able to see it Smile

Here's a pic minus stealth coating some armour, and half of the weapon bits:

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1120

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

stick the stealth gear back on,buy some infar red goggles and a little ir beacon on top Laughing
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:29 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Time for some more info on your build, please.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:32 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Philip, Andrew's build of Stealth could be made into a 5 min video, without the need of Time lapse Laughing

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:40 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

there will be pics and video soon Smile

I'm pretty happy that it ran all weekend without any problems, and did some serious pwnage Smile

The control system is very basic and will be improved greatly so I should be able to drive it a hell of a lot better. At the moment I can't even spin on the spot Razz

The Kool Kidz Racing radio gear from the Coles special r/s car had no radio, interference, or safety problems so it certainly did the job for the weekend.

The only hard part was getting hold of another CO2 bottle with actual CO2 in it!

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I still need to take photos of all the bits, but here are some basic specs:

Frame: square steel tubing (dexion speed frame from junked workbenches)

Armour: 1mm aluminium sheet, riveted on in permanent areas and screwed on in areas that could need removal.
The ends of the wheel pods have 3mm armour and the flipping arm has 3mm plating made from leftover rack case side panels (pre drilled mounting holes!)

Drive: XU-1 12v drills running at 12v with skinny white 105mm bunnings wheels ($3.50 each) and hubs made from 10mm high tensile nuts with a plate welded on which screws into the wheels.
Conduit brackets hold the motors onto the frame rails.
There are two castors in the tail, mounted in fairly far to protect them from undercutting.

Power: A small (700mAh) 12v NiMh pack (made from 7.2v packs removed from old equipment) powers the control system, and a 12v 4.5Ah NiMh powers the motors and solenoid / actuator. That pack was a sample used for battery powered stuff we were developing at work.

Weapon: CO2 powered flipper with semi automatic control.
The ram ($15 junk shop special) is mounted along the bottom of the robot, operating the flipping arm as an accelerating linkage for good "throwability".
The CO2 is supplied from a SodaStream gas tank ($10 for the whole SodaStream machine from St Vinnies, with a full tank), using the SodaStream valve setup operated by a central locking actuator I had lying around.
When the flipper fires the gas valve is turned off by a microswitch at about 75% of its throw. As soon as the flip button is released the vent solenoid (an old boost control solenoid) opens and the ram is returned by two elastic cords.
When the flipper arm returns the vent solenoid is turned off by another microswitch to save power.
I drilled some exhaust ports into the ram at about the 90% extended position to make sure it vents excess pressure when it's open - partly to prevent damage and partly to make sure the vent solenoid will open. In testing with an air compressor it didn't like to open with more than about 40psi behind it.
There are skid pads (chopping board scraps) beside the wheels for undercutter protection, and also to provide something solid for the flipper to push against.
There is some flex in the wheels and motor mounts to allow the skid pads to bottom out without damaging the drive system.
The front of the frame extends beyond the pivot point of the flipper, to keep the center of gravity as far back as possible to prevent self flipping.
The gas bottle is removable from under the robot after removing one bolt to loosen the clamp, allowing it to unscrew from the valve assembly.

Control: The control system was lifted from a "Kool Kidz Racing" radio control F1 car I bought at Coles a while back for $50, intending on using it with a better control system for racing fun.
It's a super basic 27MHz non proportional system with a wheel style transmitter. It has Fwd/Rev/Turbo on the trigger and left/right on the wheel.
I modified the transmitter to add a separate button on the turbo speed mode to use as my weapon channel.
The receiver board used relays to drive the original motor (550 like a drill) and has a small H bridge driver for the steering motor (like a servo but with no feedback).
I upgraded the relays to 30A horn relays, using the turbo speed relay to drive the weapon (NO to gas valve and NC to vent solenoid) and the others for Fwd/Rev.
I also added another pair of relays via diodes to the steering output which are used to kill power to the inside motor for steering (yep, no spin on the spot mode!)
The turbo speed function can't be used while using the low speed mode, so I can only fire the weapon if I'm not driving forward, which works well for reducing load on the motors and gearboxes while flipping.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:42 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Very clever. You might have to change your forum name.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:56 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

there are pics here: http://andrew.driftpig.com/robot.html

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:19 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Did you use a regulator?

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:46 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

nope, no regulator or external valving at all.

The only valve used is the one built into the tank, which is operated by the plunger in the SodaStream's screw in tank fitting.

Nothing is under pressure at all until the weapon is fired.
Initially I was going to put in a pressure relief valve, but decided that the exhaust ports in the ram would do the job better and eliminate a possible failure point.
The piping is not super high pressure stuff (it's car vacuum line) so in the event of a major weapon jam up as well as the valve actuator sticking on it should blow a hose off and release the pressure.
Obviously it would then not work any more, but if it was in that situation I think there'd be more to worry about than a non functioning weapon Smile

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:02 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

w000!, still works apparently!

After a year of sitting in my garage under a bunch of junk, I decided to offload my robot stuff to Lindsay while I move house (and more painfully, garage).
He won the event, so I guess there's some more life in this design, maybe with some more armour Smile

Post Mon May 14, 2007 11:19 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Well she got that new armor you were talking about. Given that it was sitting pretty close to the weight limit, it didn't leave that much room for improvement. And look corporate sponsorship from Miele. Thanks Jaemus for the schteeeel. And look how shiney that damn stainless is.

Also Stealth has been upgraded (downgraded depends on your opinion) to red bunnings wheels. WOOT! Well that's all I had sitting around, and since it ain't my robot...

Oh yeah also replaced a drill motor that got Joltenated including the bracket. And made up a new front flipper scoop out of the same kind of Aluminium that Lindsay must have yoinked from Andrew that made its way to my place somehow.

[/img]

All in all I think it should be quite driveable compared to the condition that it was at the end of the melee fight after last event. The battery has been charged and is ready for Andrew to pick up and drive for Battleshed hopefully.

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:27 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Nice!

Now do your own robot damnit!

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:12 pm