www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Adversary - Hellfire Labs - Qld

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Adversary - Hellfire Labs - Qld

Gave it its weekend after check over and the only part to recieve no damage was the reciever. Here's a list of the damage:
Wheels: The ones I went with were left in the bin at Jeff's and the new ones from Team Vertex has cuts from IG's saw.
Drill motors: Mine were also left in a bin, bt the team Vertex replacments are fine.
Batteries: Of the four marked for Adversary, 3 are serverly scratched, 1 has a badly cracked casing.
Speedo's: I fried the regulators in 2 of the origional speedo's and I gave the Vertex one's back so the bays are empty.
Drive Pods: Covered with scratches of varying shapes and sizes. Destined for the bin.
Weapon Frame: Needs to be hit with a hammer to straighten it out. It'll live.
Actuator: A few saw cuts, but its fine.
Weapon electronics: Work beutifully on the second day, but it'll be scrapped.

Basically the only parts of the robot I went to Sydney with that I'll re-use is the weapon frame and the linear actuator.
These will be built onto a solid frame using a simalar construction method as used on Plan B.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I started building the new frame today. Thats about all I want to say really.
There's a pic in the photo section.

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well its been a while since I put anything up here so here's the changes I've made to Adversary.
That picture I had up before was all a con. Sort of anyway. After the Annihilator I realised I couldn't fit that linear acyuator into a feather without going over weight, but I knocked the chasis together as an excuse t get some practice in fibreglassing. That frame has joined the used robot pile in the corner of the garage.
So what I have now is basically the same set up I had in July. The robot is made with 3 pod connected at the back by some threaded rod. The wheels are still out the back, but are now supports on either side. This is because the wheels arn't connected directly to the drills like everyone else does. Actually the drills are more in the center of the pods with a timing belt running back to the wheel with a 2:1 reduction. With the wheels spinning slower I don't have to worry about losing traction and as I found out I can control the robot much easier.
The drills also now have there own seperat mounts making it easier to change motors if they burn out. Instead of 4 hours like in July I could now do it in about 15-20 mins.
New speedo's. I now have 2 IFI Victor 883's.
The 2 drive pods are made out of 3mm MDF panels with my favorite slot together method of construction. Each panel then got 2 layers of fibreglass on each side before I glued it all together. All around the out side of the pod I left an air gap which I filled with expanding foam, which I then covered with 5 layers of fibreglass. I was kind of surprised at how tough it came out.
I moved the batteries to the weapons pod and changed the castors to ball transfer units and added some spikes and thats pretty much it for the drive pods. They still rotate like on the version I had in July, if the weapon doesn't get in the way.
The center pod has a small section at the back that has the reciever and rx battery and some wire to distribute power between the pods. It also has four bits of ali L-bracket with 16 tapped holes out the front. I can then bolt any weapon I want to the front of that. The weapon also has the batteries, either 12 or 24V depending on what it is. For the weekend it was a vertical bike wheel spinner with an EV warrior, but I also have plans for a vertical saw, horizontal saw, EV powered axe, electic lifter, a secretly powered launcher and a boreing steel wedge. All these weapons can weigh 6kg with batteries.

After this weekend I need to finish the fibreglassing (I ran out of resin friday night), finish attaching the wheel, fix up some ground clearance problems and build some more weapons.

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:08 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Hmmmm, I replaced the motor simply enough once I brought a spanner that fitted the bolts holding it in (I can't beleive I forgot that) and I found a few other problems. The wheels need to be replaced with the next size up. It turns out Adversary was dragging its self across the floor as it had absoultly no ground clearance. It was actually beaching itself on flat concret. Also the wheels arn't high enough so she wasn't invertable. Easily fixed with changing from 100mm wheels to 125mm. Also the main shaft that holds the pods together is a bit loose on one side, so it'll need re-enforcing.
As for weapons, the bike wheel needs fixing. With one of the teeth ripping clean off the wheel I'll need to rethink it a bit. So I started playing with Hellbringer 3. Well half of it anyway. I removed one of HB3's wheels and attached a hatchet to the hub instead of the tube and rubber. I then attachet it to the drive sprocket and cranked up the EV Warrior. At 24V we took a 5mm deep chip out of the concret floor, sliced though 1mm steel and 3mm aliminium and welded the wires to the battery. We were most interested with the hit we did onto a drill motor. Not much visable damage on the outside, but the magnets had shattered on both sides of the motor, crushing the rotor, which then twisted the bearings and jammed the brushes. This weapons sounds like it'll make a good motor killer.

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:19 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I liked that spinning bar you used once. It did a lot of damage.

Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:25 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I liked teh big thick 10mm steel spinning bar too. Was very effective with the EV, just chain let it down.

Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:54 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Yes fix the chain and the balance and it would be a scary bot.

Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:43 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well there wasn't anything wrong with the chain. The cord off one of the printer I was trying to hit got between the chain and sprocket and de-railed it, I then had to loosen the motor mount (a hoose clamp) to allow me to put the chain back on and I didn't tighten it back up again for the few tests after that and the chain kept falling of.
Anyway I think I said somewhere before that I really dis-like spinning bars. They are built by people who don't think things through enough and think that speed is everything. The lack of inertia they hold doesn't make up for the increase in contact area. The reason why I used the bar and not a bike wheel was for 2 reasons:
1) With teeth on it the bike wheel had a radius of about 182.4mm and The Aggressor frame wearing out (Those damn roofing bolts making the holes in the polycarb bigger so I whole thing got looser) the weight of the weapon was causing the legs to flex out and the disc was hitting the ground. This would have caused all sorts of problem when I started up the EV Warrior. The bar on the other hand had an impact radius (I cut the hitting edge so it was prependicular to the rotational axis to maximize surface impact) of exactly 150mm. So the bar had better ground clearance the the wheel. But even with the cable holding the legs together I still managed to get the bar to hit the ground while driving (I had to really try to get it to happen though) and she jumped about 5cm into the air and about 30cm backward.
2) I was really worried about breaking the bike wheel. When I first tried the EV Warrior I put it on 24V and after comparing it to the RS-775 motor I was slighty afraid of ripping the bike wheel in half druing an impact. I had several ideas about strengthening the wheel (and increasing the inertia about 3 fold) but when my boss brought in some scrap 5mm steel I noticed one was almost the right shape for a bar. I would have sat the for an hour looking at it before deciding that it would have a lot more strength then the wheel. I also looked at at the rest of the steel trying to figure out if it was the right shape to strengthen the wheel, but for some reason I went for the bar instead.

I guessing Philip has proberbly asked me about 10 times in the last 3 months about why I went for Adversary and not rebuilding The Aggressor. Well Adversary was supposed to be a better version of The Aggressor. Better traction, steering, no bolts, modularity, invertable. But I think I got carried away. If it wans't for the fact that I can't acsess the plans for The Aggressor on my computer due to them being in SolidWorks format I proberbly would have scrapped Adversary and had a new Aggressor driving around now.

Adversary seems like a waste of money now.

Sigh.

Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:23 pm 
andrew

No way. Adversary was super cool.

Dont diss yourself on it. It was really cool when going and working properly

"They are built by people who don't think things through enough and think that speed is everything"

I would have to agree on that there a very few good vert bar bots out there. Which is why iam building on a proven to be successful design which can give it to most designs and have done prototypes and tests (with good results) and stuff.

Will find out and see if i succeed or if its another failure.

Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:41 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Lets see you guys use a bit more solid materials instead of the rubber polycarb youi have and get The Aggressor back! Either that or go and find some ww motor and bring the original Hellbringer back!

Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:41 pm 
andrew

I would have to agree with aaron there (shock) Very Happy.

U guys have to be some of the nicest fellas in the world (besides getting u out of bed, oh the abuse Smile ).

But u guys really need to build things more solid.

some eg. are :

mounting 200 dollar reciever out the back DUCTAPED on (i was scared stupid for u)

building it out of that 3mm polycarb stuff from bunnings.

WIth your newest version of aggressor though it looks really nice with fibreglass construction and the ev powered wheel on it.

I was mega impressed when u guys flipped marauder and sharp shooter.

Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:11 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yeah, the expensive RC gear hanging out the back is not a good thing. Bring back The Aggressor!

Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:42 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Could you use the best ideas from The Aggressor with the other improvements? It was very close to a winner imo.

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:26 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
U guys have to be some of the nicest fellas in the world (besides getting u out of bed, oh the abuse Smile ).

That would have been Andrew. You should here the ear-full I get if I have to wake him up in the morning.

We'll bash things around in the garauge this weekend and see what happens.

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:32 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Maybe build that Selfrighting Aggressor now that you have 13.6kg to play with Smile

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:53 pm