www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Interchanging armour/weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Mel
Site Admin

quote:
Is it fair that your robot won its first round with a spinning weapon attached and light/no armour when going up against a paper bot, changed to an all-around wedge with a spike on it with for round 2 when fighting an undercutter, and turned into an armoured weaponless Brick for the final against a bar spinner ?

There is only 1 answer to that: NO

It is not - after type modifications - the 'original' registered robot. So it then becomes "he with the most modified spare parts wins" -gee, how cool is that? NOT.

It is also pointless to point out that it 'has never been a problem in the 'internationals' past'. This is Australia and the time is now.

Perhaps we could just 'poll' the matter and be done with it. That way we can quickly find out who is happy to win thru original design registration and talent -and those who need to modify because they can't.

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:13 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Expanding on the modular design, what about when it gets to the stage where a robot has modular drive, weapon, armour, electronics and chassis? Basically you turn up with 2-3 chassis, 2-3 drive trains, a bunch of modular weapons and electronics to run each setup. You would no longer have a robot, but a collection of robotic lego...

I know it would take a lot of design and effort to do such a thing, but it is possible and would really make it unfair. Example: Image if in the middle of an F1 race if Michael Schumacher pulled in and had his crew drop an entirely new motor in half way through a 120 lap race, they could then tune the motors to produce more HP and torque while sacrificing a bit of wear on the motor because they know they can change the motor half way if they like.

The ball keeps rolling.... Arrow

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:22 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

i like the idea of interchangable parts and modifing the robot to suit its battleground. besides what bout scoopys bung motor if you had found out bout it would you have changed it between rounds or would you have left it to die (if you had known bout it in the first place) and for other robots taking asome armor plate to reattach to a robot if one gets to bunged up would seem like a good idea.
now if say a saw stops working and you have no replacement for it would it be the same robot, No because the saw isnt working hence the danger of the robot is gone but by bolting a plate to the front to protect it would be a smart step.

from memory i remember the rules saying nothing bout how many setups you have as long as the Heavyest setup is the one the robot is weight with.

however if a rule that you may want to look at to use is one where only one chassie can be used per event but any number of parts you want.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:08 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Perhaps you should re-read my posts Big Al. The key words are changing 'armour and weapon TYPE'

quote:
if say a saw stops working and you have no replacement for it would it be the same robot, No

It would be exactly the same robot Al - minus the weapon.

Anyway, you've missed the point. Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:20 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The idea of interchangable weapons is that you do change to a different weapon type, even if it means swapping a saw with a bash plate. It actually takes greater skill to build a robot that can change weapons because you must design the chassis to handel all possible loads from the different weapons.
As for how much of a robot can be changed between rounds will always be a difficult question to answer. Saying that you can change everything except the chassis is no good because some robots are designed that there is no definable chassis. An example is the favorite American construction method of screwing ali plates together to form both the structual elements and armour of the robot.
I believe that it is the amount of work/time that is spent on the robot between rounds that should count. Pulling a ready made robot out from under the bench is not on. But just like the walker debate it's the EOs call.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

I guess its possible that some SuperNoob from the planet Knorb will arrive with his (or hers) Super Morphin Mighty Power Ranger Ninja turlte bot and destroy us all but the other side of the Spectrum (woohoo) is the concern that we will have our Scoopy hats taken from us if things get taken tooo literally.

Its nowadays very fashionable to wear a Scoopy hat for those Damaging High UV (Ultra Violent) rays that can appear. When the sky clears our robots can remove their hats and frollick in the sun away from harmful sccoopy rays.
Please don’t take our scoopy hats
Not the scoopy hats Nooooooooooooo

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:45 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

A Quote from Skeletor’s first post in his build thread “Skeletor is going to be a control bot with modular weapons “ Dated Feb 16 2005. It’s not like I kept it a secret, now you tell me I can’t do it! Sad

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:42 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

ok seeing as this may be a problem will will come out now and say my ideas of what I will be doing and see what people think

Basily 2 things can be charged

One the wepion (if I get one would be a lifting arm)
This is just basily changeing the size/strenth ratio as well as if it can self right so for example if fighting a spinner a small hard to smash one but can't selfright where fighting a bot like sprong I would go for the long one that can also self right and get more control.

Next armor
Plane is a solid bottom that everything is mounted on
Then a welded box(sides and top armor) is placed onto that and can be interchanged simply by remove that box and puting on another

The changes for example is one gives a much greater wheel exsposire so I can keep moveing when lifted and maybe some skirt sides

Where another may be covered as possible to fight a spinner

Not sure if this is ok or not so that's why i'm arsking Very Happy

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:32 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I think that to desighn a robot with interchangeable wheapons is a chalenge and should be allowed ...but i feel to be fair that all wheapons must be shown with the robot at the start of an event and to be fair on the oponent the wheapon of choice should be made known to the oposition once they are drawn together to give that party a fair chance to prepare their own robot accordinaly iff posible .

Also another thing that i feel needs to be in the rules is that once drawn together the oposing parties should not be allowed to be in the other parties pit area measureing up their oponent's robot with out their prior consent .... especialy when the opponent robots crew is not present to supervise.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:16 am 
Mel
Site Admin

l dont believe in God - so l don't pray to him for my sanity. But after reading most of the posts in this thread, have decided that building a triple story chapel might be in order.

l have no problem with modular robots. Its when those modules are changed mid event - that it becomes a 'rabbit out of a hat trick'. Even if you declared that you had various weapons to chose from at the outset - it remains a secret as to which one will be used, because even the driver doesnt know it - until his opponant is drawn. So...more than 1 weapon = secret weapons. Once the draw is done - there is very little time for an opponant do anything about it - unless they too have a modular bot and various weapons to go on the defensive. And if they do...well, lets just say that we'll see alot of men changing their minds alot of times!

It may take a great talent to build a modular bot - but the truer hero is the one that lasts the distance without having to modulate it mid battle because their design choice and driving talents were not enough.

l dare say with the responses so far, that the 'change your bot pending your fear factor' option will stay open, regardless of my thinking that its a major 'girly' thing to do. ROFL - "Hey Suzie! don't start with me just yet eh love...l have to rush off and 'change my lippy colour' cause l couldn't possibly battle it out in Pink...l really do need a red shade on".

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:09 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Is there anybody actively planning a robot with interchangeable weapons and/or armour?

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:43 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It depends on your definition: Plan-F has an interchangeable drum and armoured wedge (just for Jolt Sad ). My bot may also qualify as I can take off some armour and add heavier weapon teeth.

That seems pretty typical of interchangeability, while the more radical active weapon interchangeability that has everyone so fussed is almost nonexistant.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:23 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Philip Taylor:
Is there anybody actively planning a robot with interchangeable weapons and/or armour?

Its really tempting to build one just to annoy Mel. Very Happy

Hammer/Spinner/Lifter/Rammer based around a 300W scooter motor? Actually that sounds like fun. I could even try a flail.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:19 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

I am planning on expanding on the armour I used against scoopy at the last event. It was really an after thought not designed well, but I don't see a problem myself with removing the robots invertability in favour of armour that protects against top down attacks, especially since at this stage there are only 2 or 3 robots in AUS that can make such an attack.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:28 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Really I think a robot with modular weapons just becomes a better robot.

If someone's beaten by a bot with modular weapons they're still beaten by a better bot (or driver).

I think people should be able to know what weapons are available for the robot before the battle, but that's more so that all weapons can be approved and weighed before the battles.

I was planning on making my next bot a modular design, so that I could install anything from a flipper to a spinner or saw depending on the battle.
I wouldn't have all possible weapons built straight away, but could add to the collection over time rather than building new bots, which I then wouldn't be able to use in the same comp.

I wouldn't have a problem fighting someone else's modular bot, because really you should be ready for any type of opponent.
No one ever is of course, but that's part of robot combat. There's always compromise and luck of the draw involved.
Plenty of people build armoured bricks to defend against spinners, and 99% of the time end up fighting other armoured bricks!

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number