www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

KO, Simplicity - team KO - VIC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

KO, Simplicity - team KO - VIC

During the nsw event nothing could get past my armor and spinners where no threat and did no damage… at least that’s what I believed till now. They have taken off many of the ends of the screws and bent others so I can’t get them out and the armor is stuck on the bot lol. You may have not done fatal damage but you did do annoying lol

Any way I’m working on a new bot but I will prob get KO running as a back up again and fix it so it runs both ways so I don’t need to worry about being flipped again lol

Oh yea might get simplicity running but it's hard when you have to share moters bettween bots Smile makes it hard to have more than one bot at any event. For those who don't knwo it now runs on drills and has a 3kg spining bar powered by 2 drills at 24v for about 750rpm

Last edited by Timothy Forde on Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:51 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well Stunner is a new bot i'm throwing togeather with left over parts as there will be no new clamp thanks to lack of money Smile

Any way it's a 6kg bot(looking for someone to make another 6kg for a clustor in vic lol) it's a mini ko basicly.
It's got 2 9.6v drills(runing 4 wheel drive) for drive and is running off 18v 2.4ammp off drill nicads.
No frame this time Surprised , just 3mm steel sides and 6mm poly carb top/bottem/back and depending on wight a poly/stainless wedge or a 3mm steel wedge at the front as well as some spikes Laughing
Oh and maybe some stainless to help stop saws at the top over the ibc. So far I have wired it all and mostly cut out the side armor. Also I have been to a poly carb place and there willing to cut the off cuts I wanted to size for me and bend them into shape
By the way yes this should fit in the wight but only one way to find out lol

As for ko will get it running better now for the robowars event and weld on the armor this time but i'll work on it later

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:41 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Ok well don't ask me why but I had a sudden temptation to work on KO so putting stunner aside (for now)

Any way I,v aready moded the back of KO so it can keep it’s wheels on the ground longer if the front is tipped up like on tornado.

I’m also working on a storm 2 style wedge on the front of steel not wood this time lol

Also I have starting welding on the armor in the gaps between the frame and should save some weight and be much stronger (and no more sheared screws)

Oh yea I am rebuilding a new motor mounting system so it dose not take half an hour to change wheels + should save some weight as those mounts where about 650grams(with frame supports that where attached) also need new battery mounts

Oh yea again I am going to make sure this time I have time to test and get it running both ways up he he

oh yea again again I need to get a big sheet of stainless so I can actully make the top armor in one Piece rather than the 3 bits I had to go with last time as the sizes where too small I had then

oh yea again.......... i'v got a new arial to get ready and atach, a mower cable this time lol

hmm that's actully a fair bit to do as the only thing I am keeping the same is..... some of the frame lol better get working

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:05 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

well I have cut and welded on the side armor
I have welded on the wedge support just need to find some 1.5mm-2mm stainless to cover it
I'v also done the 2 back moter mounts
that's it for now Cool
(might get a pic at the meeting tomrow of all this)

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:38 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well i'v got back to work(about time) and started to finsh the mountings
I got a 2 day weekend and I hope to get it running before the end
well that's about it

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:46 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well here's a pic to show you how it's looking just got to do some finshing things and then it's ready(apart from some top/bottem armor)
http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=217

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:55 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well got a bit of news. First the G forces after a small drive (when I hit an unleveled bit of concrete and flew up somehow?) has bent the battery mounts so something better is needed. Also the motor mounts are too hard to keep level so all wheels are on the ground.

I'm going to kill both of these problems with one stone. I'm going to use 2mm steel top armor (around) and weld it on so the bottom armor is the only part using screws (maybe more over the batteries and ibc but that will be later when the rest is done and it’s weighted).
I'm then going to weld on all the mounts (motor) to the plate making sure there all even and bending the frame to fit the flat plate where needed. This should make sure all 4 wheels are even and give even more strength to the bot.
I will also be making new battery mounts from bits of 3mm steel around 1cm wide(unless I work out something better) and they should not bend on me and I hope to cover them in foam for a snug fit.

Next I am got new motors and not 12v but 9.6v…. yes I’m going to run 9.6v on 12v so that’s 2.5 more than there normal voltage but I’ll done a little testing and they seem to be ok so if I don’t push the sticks all the way most of the time I should be ok. To help though I plan to make the mounts able to absorb some heat off the motors. This should give my ramming attacks 1250 rpm rather than 1000 just for that bit more speed when I need it. By the way I am keeping the 12v and going to do lots of testing before the event so don’t worry

Last I am rewiring the lot with more than just red wire so I am going to color code it and am going to keep the wire as short as I can(with a bit of slack of course) rather than my bundle of wire I always have to cram in doing nothing. I’m also going to make it as reliable as possible and use wire to keep the battery connectors stuck in battle for those bit hits I plan to have with a few spinners.

Oh yea like always I am going to work on a Arial but am looking at 2 ideas right now so I can’t say yet.

As you can tell I’m making a new bot for the next robowars event. Someone needs to stop those spinners lol

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:39 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well I’m all happy finding out my robot without top/back armor is 10.2kg
Any way have worked out that I am going with 2mm top steel armor (will add more to the ibc/batterys last if there weight)
Second I am adding a wedge/thwack bot tail to the back bit like a tail however the frame is steel while the cover is wood allowing for a Arial to run though it. Man I wish I knew cad to show all this. Next to really start to make this thing good I'm going to add led eyes(acting as my safety power lights) and cut the front wedge to more of a triangle and add some small teeth. Then I may just work some more on the looks for a change. This is as well as all above stuff

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:55 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well I’ve done a bit today.

First I cut out all that mounting stuff I had and the bottom stuff as well.

Second I have made a wedge at the back not using hinges but more blade style of swinging mounting so yes I have now using something other than square for some frame. This is going to be a secondly wedge and my Arial and maybe a ram powered flipper lol needs testing.

Third I have welded on 3mm steel top plate armor like my side so lets see any saws or hammers get past that or any spinners deform my frame Cool
(By the way my frame and armor is about 5.7kg now) My robot should be just about on 12kg right now but I still have more mods to do

Oh yea I’ve also worked out my mounts and it will be adjustable so no need to worry about getting it perfect. Also lets me keep the wheels safe from spinners if needed at the top by lowering them and same for undercutting by minimizing the space Laughing

Also thanks to some foam stuff from Gary my batteries and ibc will be shock mounted

I’m going to redo all wiring and make sure none of it can come undone so I’ll either solder batteries or put a wire though the holes in the battery terminals and the connecting wire so it can’t fall off

I can’t wait for the event lol KO is just getting better and better

Oh yea I think I will be painting it but maybe I’ll just burn some of the paint with a welder to keep my look. Also still want to add led eyes and some spikes at the sides for character made of 3mm steel

Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:15 pm 
andrew

oh keep the steel brick, mad max sorta look going. Maybe weld teh name Ko into the top or something Very Happy.

I wish to never face your ribit again thats for sure. at ahnialator u rammed scrap with such force that all connectors came off drie and weopon.

Crazy power.

Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:32 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

lol wow first person to comment Laughing

I'm using a wood wedge again so I need to paint that and the top looks very plain as most of it has not even been near a welding so really I’ll just be painting the parts the still look plan and boring(too silver) prob with just a bit of black or something. Still want to add more things to the look any way like some side spikes and led’s

Any way to business I’ve cut and welded on the back armor so all that's left armor wise is the bottom but I need to find a very light/thin armor for that and I’m also planning on making it hinged for easy access lol.

It looks just like a chunk of steel right now lol I love having everything welded

Oh yea as from crazy power well that’s the plan but it looks like I have been out done drive wise by Singularity so I’ll just need to focus on a moving chunk of steel lol

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:54 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i think ive gone a bit higher on the moving steel box stakes and singularity on the drive

but KOs still the only one whos put the two together Smile

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

KO is still the original Brick, beats all the spinners he comes against and has still pushed a lot of people around.

I like the over armoured concept Tim builds Cool

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:18 pm 
andrew

I agree, although singularity on paper has more drive tha armour/frame is considerably weaker and its not the drive power u have but if and how u use it.

1 thing i may add though is to try maybe and make the wedge not hinged as if u look at ahnialator video's when i tried wedging somebody the wedge would buckel downwards for a moment or 2 taking away lots of power to yourself/stopping u wedgeing them well and taking yuor front 2 wheels/motors off the ground.

Just something to think about.

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:02 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The best way for a hinged wedge I believe is to hinge only the last 30mm of the hinge. This will make it so you don't get the lifting action as welcher described and you will have a lot more solid wedge attached to the robot that will be more resistant to spinners.

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:08 pm