www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hellcat - Hellfire Labs - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
Dreakoth

Hmm i did another test today, when i have the bottle and regulator lying sideways, and let a big burst of gas through, the valve seems to freeze open and the regulator has to vent excess pressure via an outlet hole on the side of the regulator. It will then continually vent and further freeze the regulator untill the bottle is empty or untill you unscrew the bottle from the regulator.
Are you sure this isnt happening on your setup? i might have to look into making an anti-siphon valve or somesuch. Did you purchase your bottle off the palmer pursuit site? they'res all seem to be standard like mine.

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:38 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds like a bit of crud jamming things open. Or possibly even some ice. Try pulling the regulator apart and giving it a clean.

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:11 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

There shouldn't be any ice in the regulator because there is no air in the regulator only CO2 so therefor no water. It is possible to get dry ice if a lot of liquid CO2 is dumped very quickly but remember that you need to reach temps of less than -70 degrees for CO2 to freeze. I managed to do this at robogames while emptying a 20oz tank but the ambient temp was around 0 to begin with. The only way I can see you getting ice inside the reg is if it is jammed open to begin with.
My suggestion is to pull the reg apart and give it a clean. It is quick and simple to do. Unscrew the adjusting screw at the end then use a 10 or 20c piece to unscrew the end cap. The piston should then slide out.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Have you tried it out on a robot? Does it retract reliably? Videos would be good if possible.

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:44 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Woo, Front hinged flipper Laughing

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:37 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Clever how you take strain off the drive motors when you flip. But it begs the question, if you miss will your own robot go flying? Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:46 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

It didn't retract when I was watching. My brother said it was working fine before I came home. Probably a loose wire. The wheels don't touch the ground when the flipper is up which we be a problem if it doesn't get fixed.
It dosn't go flying when it misses, mainly because it doesn't have a buffer, but it does self right very nicely. The strange thing I saw was that it had a lot of trouble getting under Avenger, probably because Avenger wasn't moving, but when it pushed the other robot against the wall it was garenteed to flip and stack the other robot even with only the tip of the flipper under the other robot.
Only weighs 9.7kg, so 3.5kg of armour.

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:23 am 
andrew

ok., your have about 4 kg for armour, use thick steel plate, i repeat use steel, its your friend, reallyy

U have an awesome and prob effective robot there, armour it up nicely and youll be taking out the best spinners i think

Please dont cover it in polycarb, tank it out man

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:00 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Considering there is just over 3kg of weight to spare (remember I need to include gas, battery mounts and other misc parts) and also the surface area to cover I can only use approx 1.5mm of "thick" steel. But considering the angles involved with the sloped armour (something well spoken of but very little practiced in other states) this will be fine.
As for all this scare mongering of "must be armored against big spinners!", out of a field of around 30 robots I can count maybe 3 spinners that are reliable enough to worry about. I don't see why I should sacrifice functionality to defend against less than 10% of opponents when I am not even afraid of them anyway.

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:22 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The polycarb worked fairly well on Hellcat previously, I just think it was the way it was mounted that let it down. VL put some nice slashes through it a times, but never damaged anything behind it, but removed the whole panels several times Razz

Maybe look at a combination of armour. Put 3mm steel <150mm of the robots height and 3mm polycarb for anything above that...

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:29 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The robot is only 150mm high

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:08 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bPlhbaZLII

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:11 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Very good. You look like you're onto a winning design.

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:23 pm 
assassin

OK, very nice. I don't like the nose up attitude, but with heavy armor on the front maybe that would be corrected Question Steel armor on the front, ploy on the back maybe.

Very nice I like it neat! Hows the self-right...cool.

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:25 pm